Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to check on used Epson P7000  (Read 581 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
What to check on used Epson P7000
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:00:33 pm »

I've been offered a used Epson P7000 with very low carts at a very attractive price. What do I need to check to avoid an expensive mistake?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: What to check on used Epson P7000
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:27 pm »

I'd start with a nozzle check.

Do a test print using Pk.  Ink switch to Mk.  Nozzle check. Do another test print with matte media.  Switch back to Pk.  Nozzle check again.

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »

I've been offered a used Epson P7000 with very low carts at a very attractive price. What do I need to check to avoid an expensive mistake?

Hi Kenneth,

Ken Doo has put together a good list of procedures you can use to perhaps assess the viability of purchasing this printer.  I do have one question, well actually two, but I'll get to the second one momentarily. How  much experience do you have with wide format printers and do you consider yourself to be proficient enough to assess the quality of the output of such printers?  If so then my suggestion would be to take an image file that you might use as a reference to print occasionally for comparison to previous prints from that file.  Perhaps the Atkinson image, one from Andrew Rodney or OutbackPhoto.  These are images used frequently to assess the performance of a printer against previous output.  That would also be a good test in my opinion.

Now to the second question -- You may not want to offer an answer, in which case I would certainly understand.  How old is the printer and how much is the seller asking for it?  I ask this because I'm trying to get some information concerning my P7000 that I bought in June 2017 and now need to determine a fair market value for sales tax purposes.  And again I will understand your reluctance to answer, should that be the case.

EDIT:  One more thing.  When switching the black inks do not be surprised if the printer runs an auto nozzle check once the switch has completed.  Or if not, the next nozzle check may show a few dropped nozzles in the black channel.  This is not unusual, nor is it necessarily a sign of a problem with that channel.  I agree with Ken Doo, it is a great printer.  However, especially in the dryer winter months, if I don't start up the printer every second day and run a print to exercise all channels there's a very good possibility that on the next start up there will be an auto cleaning cycle initiated.  Just a thought.   

Gary

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:46:38 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:19:53 am »

Thanks to both of you. Answering in reverse order: CAD $1500 and two and a half years with the more forgiving P800.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:42:47 am »

Thanks to both of you. Answering in reverse order: CAD $1500 and two and a half years with the more forgiving P800.

You're most welcome.  And thank you for sharing the price as well.  That's very close to what I've been thinking, slightly under 50% of the original (new) price.  Let us know if you do buy the P7000 and any issues you might encounter, although I doubt there will be anything that can't be overcome easily.  As with most Epson printers, they like to be used frequently, even if it's just one print.  That keeps the nozzles exercised and can help prevent any issue of that sort.  Good luck Kennith, enjoy.

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up