Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the Focus Stacking Feature in the Nikon D850  (Read 427 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Using the Focus Stacking Feature in the Nikon D850
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:52 am »

If I am doing a four or five shot stack I rarely get artifacts, but if the stack is in the 8-10 shot range, I find I almost always get something left over even if I do an alignment first then the stack.

This is an 8 shot stack and while it is pretty decent, way in the back trees there is some blurring effects in the trees. This is only the second in camera more than 4 shot focus stack I've tried so it may be strictly operator error. Anyone else using this feature having similar results and if so, have you overcome the issue and HOW, please.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Using the Focus Stacking Feature in the Nikon D850
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 11:24:11 am »

Flare?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:28:27 am »

With this stack series I experienced very little flare. I am tending to lean toward needing a sturdier tripod so there is no shake at all even though this one was nearly at ground level.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 12:22:33 pm »

If I am doing a four or five shot stack I rarely get artifacts, but if the stack is in the 8-10 shot range, I find I almost always get something left over even if I do an alignment first then the stack.

This is an 8 shot stack and while it is pretty decent, way in the back trees there is some blurring effects in the trees. This is only the second in camera more than 4 shot focus stack I've tried so it may be strictly operator error. Anyone else using this feature having similar results and if so, have you overcome the issue and HOW, please.

If there is wind, taking too many images in a stack can result in motion echoes. You take a shot and then advance to the next step in the stack, and in the meantime wind moves a branch of a tree. If the step size is small, the algorithm may regard the branch as still in focus and a ghost image will appear. With a larger step, the branch may no longer be regarded as in focus and there will be no echo.

Bill

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 12:35:25 pm »

If there is wind, taking too many images in a stack can result in motion echoes. You take a shot and then advance to the next step in the stack, and in the meantime wind moves a branch of a tree. If the step size is small, the algorithm may regard the branch as still in focus and a ghost image will appear. With a larger step, the branch may no longer be regarded as in focus and there will be no echo.

Bill

Good information, Bill. No wind so I might have to lean more toward having used too narrow a step size (3, I think)...still learning this new system so I guess there will be experiments in how many steps, frames, etc.

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 05:00:16 pm »

Just a thought Chris but I sometimes get odd errors like this when focus stacking in photoshop that Zerene Stacker handles with ease. I am manual focus stacking with a D810 with many very small steps not auto with a D850 but trying a different stacking programme may allow you to rule out D850 problems. Zerene used to have a free trial, hope that this helps Ken.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 07:39:31 pm »

Just a thought Chris but I sometimes get odd errors like this when focus stacking in photoshop that Zerene Stacker handles with ease. I am manual focus stacking with a D810 with many very small steps not auto with a D850 but trying a different stacking programme may allow you to rule out D850 problems. Zerene used to have a free trial, hope that this helps Ken.

I'll look into it. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up