Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony lens firmware updates??  (Read 1764 times)

ski542002

Sony lens firmware updates??
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:30:34 am »

Just took delivery of and will begin testing my 70-200 F4 Sony lens, to replace my now-sold Canon 70-200F4 L lens. Glad to be finally going all native-Sony.

For my Canon optics, I've NEVER had to deal with any firmware updates for a lens! Now, with the Sony, I've found the SEL70200G System Software Update (Mac, and a fricking driver uploader(??), as well as the usual Sony convoluted instructions for doing a firmware update.  I successfully did it for my A7RIII & A7III bodies, but never for a lens.

How important are these lens updates??

DP

Re: Sony lens firmware updates??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »

How important are these lens updates??
how about reading the notice from Sony explaining what was in it ?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 03:15:04 am »

how about reading the notice from Sony explaining what was in it ?

What, precisely, do you consider was gained by posting this unhelpful comment other, possibly, than to make you feel superior?

Jeremy

DP

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:25 am »

What, precisely, do you consider was gained by posting this unhelpful comment other, possibly, than to make you feel superior?

Jeremy

it looks like being a moderator gives you some confidence to allege some ulterior motives in posting of rank & file members  ;D

not to mention that unlike my suggestion to read the manufacturer notes explaining what bugs were fixed or what benefits were introduced your comment is totally off topic

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:02:01 pm »

it looks like being a moderator gives you some confidence to allege some ulterior motives in posting of rank & file members  ;D

not to mention that unlike my suggestion to read the manufacturer notes explaining what bugs were fixed or what benefits were introduced your comment is totally off topic

The moderator's role is to ensure discipline. Your comment was obnoxious, condescending and added nothing to the topic. If you have nothing useful to say - and that appears to be the case - keep quiet or depart.

Jeremy

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 02:52:17 pm »

IMO lens firmware updates are worth doing. They can speed up AF response and improve focusing accuracy/consistency in addition to fixing general bugs. Sony's firmware update process is an utter farce, though…straight outta 2004. As a company they're frustratingly content to tolerate kludgy implementations of various UI-related functions. I don't think this'll be good for them in the long term.

-Dave-

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 02:57:44 pm »

IMO lens firmware updates are worth doing. They can speed up AF response and improve focusing accuracy/consistency in addition to fixing general bugs. Sony's firmware update process is an utter farce, though…straight outta 2004. As a company they're frustratingly content to tolerate kludgy implementations of various UI-related functions. I don't think this'll be good for them in the long term.

Sony catches a lot of flak for its menu design. I rented an A7II for a week and didn't have any problem finding my way around the menus. Of course, I wasn't used to Canon or Nikon menus so I didn't have to unlearn anything.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:04:19 pm by faberryman »

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 03:17:36 pm »

Sony catches a lot of flak for its menu design. I rented an A7II for a week and didn't have any problem finding my way around the menus. Of course, I wasn't used to Canon or Nikon menus so I didn't have to unlearn anything.

Sony's menus aren't as convoluted as Olympus' IMO but they're close. In both cases you can create your own sub-menu of frequently-used stuff, which helps. Panasonic's Micro 4/3 menu system is in another league organization-wise. Leica's M menus are a breeze to navigate, but those cameras are simpler in operation too. Pentax's D-SLR menu system is complex but better organized than most…not all options are explained well, though. All these systems, with the exception of Leica, likely drive away healthy numbers of non-techie type pic takers. (Leica self-selects its user base via other means.  ;) )

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up