Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitz Roy  (Read 1369 times)

dreed

Fitz Roy
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »

The photo is a bit kitsch... but the story...

On the first day there was sunshine, no clouds and Asian tourists putting phones where my lens was after I left.
On the second day there was a small line of clouds, other tourists but nothing to write home about.
On the third day someone with a MFDB arrived in their truck to mimic a calendar shot but clouds to the east meant there was no light for the clouds over/around Fitz Roy.
On the fourth day there was sunshine of a better colour than the first but no clouds or other people.
On the fifth day there were clouds and nobody else. It was a visual paradise to behold the colours of the clouds as the sun rose. To the east, oranges and reds were bright and elsewhere, bits and pieces of cloud were pinks and purples in a random assortment of colour.
And then it was time to say good bye.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Fitz Roy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:20:26 pm »

You have a lot of patience!   Great shot.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:02:23 am »

Well waited for and captured.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

dreed

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:32:43 am »

You have a lot of patience!   Great shot.

It is part patience, park luck and part effort.

The effort is getting there and getting up every day before dawn to see what happens.

The luck is in what the weather delivers as it is beyond the control of mere mortals.

The patience is accepting that every day is different and being content to wait for the golden moment.

On patience, I've seen comments on one of Ken Duncan's images where he says that he camped out for two weeks waiting for the weather to deliver "the shot." In a gallery in Sausalito, a large print of a Tetons scene had a caption saying the photographer had been camped out for a week before the shot printed was made. Maybe those comments are real, maybe they're made for commercial benefit but if my experience is anything to go by, unless you get very lucky, patience and persistence is required to get "the shot" in any natural landscape where clouds are involved.

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:27:54 pm »

Much better to be bored to death because you got the shot vs. having to leave with no shot. 

You had a great experience......

Victor

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 04:33:22 pm »

The effort is getting there and getting up every day before dawn to see what happens.

No, it's the size of the rat.
 :)

Wonderful image and backstory!

Dave

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:33:33 am »

The luck is in what the weather delivers as it is beyond the control of mere mortals.

The patience is accepting that every day is different and being content to wait for the golden moment.

On patience, I've seen comments on one of Ken Duncan's images where he says that he camped out for two weeks waiting for the weather to deliver "the shot." In a gallery in Sausalito, a large print of a Tetons scene had a caption saying the photographer had been camped out for a week before the shot printed was made. Maybe those comments are real, maybe they're made for commercial benefit but if my experience is anything to go by, unless you get very lucky, patience and persistence is required to get "the shot" in any natural landscape where clouds are involved.

I’ve often said that patience is the most under appreciated skill in photography.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Mark Nadler

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 10:58:30 am »

I will second the idea that patience is critical in photography.  Recently I spent around ten
days in Arizona.  Beautiful landscapes, beautiful skies, and I ended up with maybe two ok images.
Why?  I was on a family trip and it was impossible to stay in one spot long enough to figure out what I was
looking at. 

Great image.

mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up