Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Gallery' light at home  (Read 4631 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
'Gallery' light at home
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:54:24 pm »

Hi all!

I plan 'gallery' light for my home (which is under construction so far...) and have thought of Yuji LED bulbs mounted in something like this:
https://www.leuchtmittel-verkauf.de/Leuchten/PAR-Scheinwerfer/PAR-20-Scheinwerfer/EUROLITE-PAR-20-Spot-silber::41700.html

Does anyone of you use these and would care to share his experience? Or advise alternatives?

My concerns are:

1- The technical/safety instructions say
"This spot is designed for professional use, e.g. on stages, in discotheques, theatres etc.
Lighting effects are not designed for permanent operation. Consistent operation breaks will ensure that the spot will serve you for a long time without defects."
Does this in plain text mean that the can is not suitable for long term use like in a home or gallery?
2- The max. beam angle is 30 degrees. The min. distance from the lamp to the nearest object must be 50 cm (20 inches). Will 1 or 2 (or...?)  6 W LED bulbs (equivalent of 40 W incandescent) be light enough to light a 90x130 cm (35x50 inches) print?

(6 W seems to be the max of 5000 K Yuji LED bulbs with E 27 socket. I have some 10 W, but can not find them any more on their web site
https://store.yujiintl.com/collections/high-cri-led-lights/products/bc-series-remote-phosphor-bulb?variant=824493205
Inquiry sent.)

Thank you for your comments!

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Re: 'Gallery' light at home
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:08:32 am »

I use these in the existing recessed ceiling light sockets:

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:57:35 am »

Not at all impressed with Soraa LEDs, nothing close to Solux.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »

Thanks to the both of you!

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:11:14 pm »

Hello all!

A new question about this future gallery lighting.

I try to calculate the distance of the high volt rail from the wall, which I need to tell the electrician.

The ceiling is 2,60 m high, the actual position of the lamps may be about 0,25 m under the ceiling, my own eye hight when I'm standing ca. 1,70 m. Images are planned to be up to ca 0,9x1,3 m, viewing distance ca. 2m.  In my little sketch, it looks like it's fairly impossible to achieve a reflection-free setup. Only the little distance of the green double-arrow would work, about 0,25 m. 

Is my understanding of the family of angles correct? And how do you guys do in real life?

Thank you for your comments!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:00:03 am by Hening Bettermann »

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 02:49:03 pm »

I´d probably use something like these: https://www.ggmmoebel.com/stromschiene-strahler-led-10w-4000k-schwarz-3-phasen-hochvolt-schiene-spot-schienenstrahler-schienensystem-schienenleuchte-laden-shop-beleuchtung.html
Should be in the same price range and already fits in a high voltage power rail?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:56:06 pm »

Thank you for this tip. - They only sell to pro's, but if I decide on one of these, I might talk my electrician into ordering them for me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:11:31 am by Hening Bettermann »

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 11:55:39 am »

Hi again
Sorry, my first drawing suffered from a bad mistake: the distance of the lamp from ceiling was out of scale. As shown, it was not 25 cm, just 10. A corrected drawing shows that the situation is even worse: there is NO place for a lamp outside the family of angles. (fig 2). To achieve that, I need to give up on the precondition to have my eye placed in the middle of the image height. (fig. 3).
Good light!

elliot_n

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:24:36 pm »

Traditionally, the centre-line for a gallery hang is 150cm.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 12:35:35 pm »

Thank you, Elliot. - Hm, that will so to say always be within the family of angles, meaning not reflection-free. But maybe they have diffusers?

elliot_n

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »

Most galleries have higher ceilings.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 12:43:26 pm »

Unfortunately, I cannot achieve that ;-)

elliot_n

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 12:47:37 pm »

Smaller print. Or matte print. Or lights on either side of print.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »

Smaller and matte are achievable - but not desirable...;-) Well a rail 40 cm from wall is not that bad is it? And landscape-orientation images will be better off - but they are a minority, even though it's landscape I do...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:21:17 pm by Hening Bettermann »

elliot_n

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:09:27 pm »

At 40cm from the wall, you'll just be lighting the top of the print.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 01:21:59 pm »

Sigh... I start thinking in the direction of diffuse/indirect lighting. I have seen that in a museum in Germany. But if memory serves me, they had textile hanging under the ceiling, which was lightened from above.

elliot_n

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 05:05:28 pm »

I have prints that size in my apartment, but I don't have any dedicated lighting for them.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 05:45:18 pm »

So that would go in the direction of diffuse/indirect lighting (if any). I'll start researching in that direction. - A very simple idea: One could just turn a number of spots towards the ceiling.

vjbelle

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 01:17:29 pm »

A 35 X 50 inch print would more than likely need 2 sources of light with 30 degree beam spread.  I don't use LEDs because I initially had all of my fixtures set up for halogens and I have lots of bulbs.  When I did my research I needed to know how much light was available at the distance from fixture to print.  This kind of data is available from the larger bulb manufacturers such as GE and maybe Phillips.  The information should show you very specific data regarding light output and beam angle at a given distance.  You want to know how wide the beam will be at a given distance and the light output in lumens. 

My home was designed for hanging prints but I did all of my own research and knew the distances and bulb beam angle I needed.  I wouldn't 
be too hung up on color temperature as almost anything you do will be much better than nothing.  I think anything in the 3400 to 5000 calvin would be fine.  There will always be some light outside of the print hitting the wall but that's fine.  You will never get perfect lighting for a rectangular print unless you want to purchase specialized projection fixtures which are a fortune. 

My ceilings are 10 feet high and my prints are hung so that the center is roughly 66 inches high from the floor.  My lights are all 24 inches from the wall.  The center of the prints are roughly 51 inches below the ceiling.  All of my bulbs are narrow floods which is a 30 degree beam spread. 

Hope some of this helps. 

Victor

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 01:29:35 pm »

Hi Victor, thank you for this very informative post. I see that I will have some research to do. - What I have figured out so far is that indirect lighting will most likely be too dark. So I think of diffusors for the spots.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up