Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight inkjet paper for DIY photo book  (Read 2101 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Lightweight inkjet paper for DIY photo book
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:49:18 am »

I am interested on opinions and recommendations on lightweight (less than 200g) inkjet paper for a DIY photo book project. Is there anything out there? Preferably glossy and doublesided. Am I asking too much :)? Thanks!

dehnhaide

Re: Lightweight inkjet paper for DIY photo book
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:54:48 am »

I am interested on opinions and recommendations on lightweight (less than 200g) inkjet paper for a DIY photo book project. Is there anything out there? Preferably glossy and doublesided. Am I asking too much :)? Thanks!

Not sure where you're located but here (RO) there's plenty of that RC paper you're looking for. If interested I could drop you a PM with the 2 providers web site links. They are really affordable, high OBA but once profiled the papers play nice.
I am thinking you're not so much into high quality paper for that project.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20:42 am »

Not sure where you're located but here (RO) there's plenty of that RC paper you're looking for. If interested I could drop you a PM with the 2 providers web site links. They are really affordable, high OBA but once profiled the papers play nice.
I am thinking you're not so much into high quality paper for that project.

I am interested! Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:33:50 am »

Ilford Prestige semi-gloss duo, 250gsm.
Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Duo (matte)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:28 am »

Ilford Prestige semi-gloss duo, 250gsm.
Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Duo (matte)
Thank you Mark. I will take a look at the Ilford.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »

I found Moab Lasal Dual Semigloss to have excellent image quality for a luster double-sided.

But I much prefer matte for my hand-made artist books.  At a 15" viewing distance with no glazing in the way, matte papers invite lots of light and close inspection without glare.  Moab Lasal Matte is a perfect weight and beautiful image (see attached).  Red River Arctic Polar Matte Double-sided is nearly identical weight and image quality and offers more sizes and guaranteed grain short (can be really important for books).  Both Moab and Red River offer sample packs.  And both offer a luster / semigloss as well as matte of (nearly) the same paper for you to compare gloss to matte.

I support Mark's Hahn PhRagDuo recommendation for a beautiful paper.  At 277gsm and 17.7mills, however, it's thicker, denser, and stiffer than the Lasal or RR papers (which can be problematic for some books), and it is 5x the price: $3.96 per 11x17 sheet vs $.91 for Moab and $.70 for RR.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:41:19 pm »

I'll second MarkFarber's recommendation for Red River Arctic Polar Matte Double-sided.
Regards,
Ron

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:01 am »

I found Moab Lasal Dual Semigloss to have excellent image quality for a luster double-sided.

But I much prefer matte for my hand-made artist books.  At a 15" viewing distance with no glazing in the way, matte papers invite lots of light and close inspection without glare.  Moab Lasal Matte is a perfect weight and beautiful image (see attached).  Red River Arctic Polar Matte Double-sided is nearly identical weight and image quality and offers more sizes and guaranteed grain short (can be really important for books).  Both Moab and Red River offer sample packs.  And both offer a luster / semigloss as well as matte of (nearly) the same paper for you to compare gloss to matte.

I support Mark's Hahn PhRagDuo recommendation for a beautiful paper.  At 277gsm and 17.7mills, however, it's thicker, denser, and stiffer than the Lasal or RR papers (which can be problematic for some books), and it is 5x the price: $3.96 per 11x17 sheet vs $.91 for Moab and $.70 for RR.

Thank you! I am located in southern Europe (Athens) and the only easy option here is Hahnemuhle or Canson or some other paper from UK or Germany mostly. Moad and Red River unfortunately are not an option. Your book seem beautiful. I will reconsider the matte paper option. Thank again.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:37 am »

I'll second MarkFarber's recommendation for Red River Arctic Polar Matte Double-sided.

Thanks for your input!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:52:41 am »

Thank you! I am located in southern Europe (Athens) and the only easy option here is Hahnemuhle or Canson or some other paper from UK or Germany mostly. Moad and Red River unfortunately are not an option. Your book seem beautiful. I will reconsider the matte paper option. Thank again.

Innova IFA25 Decor Smooth 210 gr/m² or the equivalent Hahnemühle, Felix Schoeller versions. The last will be the manufacturer.  An inexpensive paper without OBAs. Try how it behaves when printed dual sided though as the weight limits heavy inked images on both sides I expect. I use the single side coated version.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 06:40:44 am »

Innova IFA25 Decor Smooth 210 gr/m² or the equivalent Hahnemühle, Felix Schoeller versions. The last will be the manufacturer.  An inexpensive paper without OBAs. Try how it behaves when printed dual sided though as the weight limits heavy inked images on both sides I expect. I use the single side coated version.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Thanks a lot. By the way Spectumviz is a very useful tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up