Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GX680 + digital back + strobes combination  (Read 9606 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Fuji GX680 + digital back + strobes combination
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 01:40:18 am »

I am not sure why you are so opposed to anyone else using it, or even people providing accurate information for those that ask about it.
Just to clarify, you were the one who wrote 230 words in response to my one line comment.
I am not opposed to anyone using a GX680. In fact I would encourage all of my competitors to do it.
I will stop bowling them underarm to you.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 02:02:46 am »

My response was really directed at Massimo, in case he got the mistaken impression you had any idea what you were talking about.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 04:25:27 pm »

Old Camera Disease ?  :)

IK1LBO

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 05:19:59 pm »

Thanks so much to all the answers I have leaf I think60 CCD SENSOR and all the new backs are CMOS with great advantages and today it is no longer convenient to sell it.
I still have other cameras to do faster jobs.
the 680 l I took into consideration instead of a technical machine because it allows me to see directly without a changeover, I believe it has not excessive costs,
but my doubts are about the quality of the lenses and the conversion of the focal length to 35mm with my credo60.
Jason I tried to send you a private message but I can't get my email massimo@villapippa.it
thanks to all of you again and we feel for new updates and I stay to hear advice soon
Massimo

pschefz

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 05:31:21 pm »

IMO the 680 is the best MF camera system ever made....the lenses are simply amazing...but  all this is to be taken with a grain of salt these days....as much as i always loved the camera, i never found a good way to connect a back in a meaningful way (phase in my case) and the wider lenses, especially the 50 are the "worst" in the line up...
i have been thinking about getting the system again but only to shoot film....
also:fastest time  with the lenses is 1/400...
schefz.com
artloch.com

Pablovi

andyptak

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 04:44:58 pm »

Jason, what's the simple mode to replace the Kapture Group box? I have a GX80III with a P45+ and love it. However, it's a bit clunky and don't use it too much, but it is a work of art and craftsmanship and I'll never get rid of it. I'd like to get rid of the Kapture Group box though if there's something simpler.

In the end, I'd agree that it isn't practical for most people, but I really don't care because it has a special place in my heart that none of my other camera have.

antoine_k

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:26 pm »

Sadly the PC terminal has a circuit to limit the pulse duration, hence the need for the Kapture box to trigger and give the back a correctly timed pulse.   You could get a Kapture box, or you could hack into the ribbon cable coming from the lens to steal the x-contact signal. I did that to mine, and took the additional step to make a small hole to add a 3.5mm jack to the rear.  Works great with my H3D.
Anthony Kerstens.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 01:05:05 am »

Sadly the PC terminal has a circuit to limit the pulse duration, hence the need for the Kapture box to trigger and give the back a correctly timed pulse.   You could get a Kapture box, or you could hack into the ribbon cable coming from the lens to steal the x-contact signal. I did that to mine, and took the additional step to make a small hole to add a 3.5mm jack to the rear.  Works great with my H3D.
From memory that is not the issue. The Phase backs of that vintage require a "wake up" signal, effectively two consecutive pulses. The Hasselblad backs don't need that.

antoine_k

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 09:13:11 am »

Yes they do need a wakeup signal.  However the other purpose of the Kapture module was to stretch the PC signal.  In the 680 the pulse from the PC is the same regardless of the shutter speed setting. That's what the shutter speed dial on the kapture module is for. 

With the H3D I had to set the shutter speed setting in the menus. Once I stole the x-contact signal from the lens ribbon cable I didn't have to do that anymore.
Anthony Kerstens.

adam tracksler

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 10:24:50 pm »

Does someone have a schematic or instructions for the mod to make the shutter sync?

antoine_k

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:01 pm »

I've posted the modification I did on the gx680 facebook group. The file section of this group also contains repair manuals with schematics for the GX680 which were very helpful in learning how the circuits work.  I have attached some choice pages with my markups. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujigx680/permalink/10158449856699872/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujigx680/permalink/10158461492609872/

Anthony Kerstens.

adam tracksler

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 06:57:07 pm »

Is there any reason that the x contact from the hot shoe wouldn’t trigger a back? The same way it works for a large format camera?

antoine_k

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 11:08:14 pm »

There is an SCR circuit between the lens x-contact and the hotshoe that isolates the lens from high voltages that might be present from strobes or flashes.  No matter what the shutter speed is, the pulse out the hotshoe and PC jack is <0.2s (see the attached pdf). 
Anthony Kerstens.

adam tracksler

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 08:49:07 am »

Ah, I see. Are you taking commissions to do the mod?  :)

antoine_k

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 10:02:54 am »

Commissions?  No.  It's not a difficult thing for anyone to do. Have a look at the photos in the facebook link and you can see what was done.  All I did was reposition the ribbon cable in the connector to leave a bit extending out the side so I could solder two wires from there to a 3.5mm jack which was added to the rear.  It's only two wires!
Anthony Kerstens.

adam tracksler

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 11:39:19 am »

Oh, I thought it was more than that since the eb@y mods were in the $300 range....

antoine_k

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 02:48:39 pm »

The hardest thing is the insulation displacement connector for the ribbon cable. It takes some care to open it without damaging the plastic tabs, and you have to make sure all the blade contacts are straight and line-up with the slots to press it back down (which does require some force).   

Also, how I did it shortens the length of ribbon cable between the lens and camera body by about 1/2", but it is only an issue for the full extent of travel with 80mm extension rails. You might chose to splice into the ribbon before the connector and not have to open it, but that would be at the risk of damaging other wires in the ribbon. However, ribbon cable is easy to come by.
Anthony Kerstens.

antoine_k

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 02:59:44 pm »

More photos
Anthony Kerstens.

antoine_k

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 03:01:54 pm »

More photos
Anthony Kerstens.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up