Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cars. Fiat X1/9  (Read 944 times)

Rob C

Cars. Fiat X1/9
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:39:08 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLyqB8MPrQ

Mine was Red...

Them wuz etc.

;-(

Rob

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Cars. Fiat X1/9
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 02:24:42 pm »

Good price, too. Only £3298.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:26 pm »

Good price, too. Only £3298.

Well, that was back in '77, in my case, and a heap more than I paid for my then new Humber in '74, which I think was about £ 1200.

https://www.google.com/search?q=humber+sceptre+Mk+111&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirvY_hsIfhAhWOy4UKHfuYBvYQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1256&bih=860#imgrc=Fb8Ehr8I0Ap_OM:

Mine was the same colour, but the shot seems slightly underexposed, making it a tad darker than reality.

Nice machine with overdrive in third and fourth. It was the last car I had where I think I could see all four corners. It's been bad design ever since. The X1/9 that came next was great for reversing, but the front was invisible unless you popped the lights. I only got that car because my wife had a Hillman Imp, and so I could still put 9' rolls of background paper in the back for transportation from the suppliers; that Imp's opening rear window was a boon.

Rob

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 07:14:00 am »

How could I miss your X1/9 thread?!!  Nice being reminded of that little FIAT.

Mario, my brother in law, had a green one which he unfortunately wrecked before I was able to ride it.  Some years ago I fulfilled my dream of owning a convertible and bought a Fiat Barcetta.  Nice for country roads, but too tiny for highways.  I drove the 1,450 km to my sister south of Rom and resorted to the more comfortable Lancia Lybra for longer trips afterwards.  Also, I never had to think twice about baggage driving the Lybra (station wagon).  My second year owning the Barcetta was a rainy one so I sold it and thus ended my time with a convertible.

Today I'm more than pleased with my SEAT Alhambra - never think twice about packing extra gear and I can catch some hours of comfortable sleep when tired of highway driving.  There's a time for everything, I guess.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 07:24:44 am »

Yeah, and the other problem with convertibles, unless of the hard, folding topped variety, is security. Not something I would enjoy driving in any city these days.

As you say, time for everything...

:-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 07:28:36 am »

Pretty little cars.

Being mid-engine they handled really well except in icy conditions when we resorted to placing a heavy bag of coal in the front luggage space in order to get more weight over the front wheels hoping to improve braking and grip. Unfortunately they were woefully underpowered, unreliable and rust-buckets.

Despite everything we got through three of 'em: some people never learn!

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:07:29 am »

Pretty little cars.

Being mid-engine they handled really well except in icy conditions when we resorted to placing a heavy bag of coal in the front luggage space in order to get more weight over the front wheels hoping to improve braking and grip. Unfortunately they were woefully underpowered, unreliable and rust-buckets.

Despite everything we got through three of 'em: some people never learn!

Especially underpowered in 1300cc iteration: I remember the feeling when Hillman Avengers passed me. That said, it was the car in which I topped the ton for the one and only time. It was on a run down to England to see Bemrose, the printers. By the time we got there the exhaust had blown and try as they might, Bemrose couldn't locate a Fiat dealer who could replace it for me locally. So, a delightfully noisy drive back home, to discover that the heat had melted the mat in the little rear trunk. Lucky the entire thing didn't go up in smoke!

Regarding ice, neither my bro'n'lo's Merc nor his wife's could be driven (by them, at least) on it. His, at the time of telling, was an S Class Brabus and hers an SLK with AMG kit. They resorted to using their daughter's little Vauxhall which had fwd. That was bad enough, but I remember a lawyer friend of their's telling me he couldn't take his 911 out on rainy days. So much for practical cars.

Still, that little X1/9 would be cute out here, but probably just as prone to rust because of the salt air.

;-(

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 01:22:15 pm »

Rust is a major problem for cars of that age.  Sadly, poor quality steel produced in Italy in the mid and late 70s had some cars rusting after their first winter.  Salt on the snowy roads didn't help either.  Undercoating wasn't a true solution to the problem of rust.  Only the advent of less rust prone materials finally offered a proper solution, so today, rust is a rarity, but still occurs when manufacturers have quality problems or initiate cost reduction programs without thinking the process through.  The press quickly picks up on this, but the poor customer is stuck with their lemon.

My first car was a nice, yellow 1972 FIAT 124 sport coupé.  Had to learn how to a choke.  My dream car back then and until recently was a Porsche 914.  But finding one without rust or without stupid body work of spoilers, skirts, loud exhaust, etc is neigh impossible.  I had a neighbor who loved VW beetles, most cars he owned had the problem of rusty running boards.

Anything mechanical can be exchanged or repaired, alas, rust is difficult enemy to battle.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:26 pm »

I knew I had a scan of my first car.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 02:06:21 pm »

I knew I had a scan of my first car.

Always a nice design, that one.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up