Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta  (Read 975 times)

Brad P

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:15:32 am »

Anyone using this paper or evaluated it?

Just received a few samples.  My observations and questions.

1. What is the archival nature of this paper?  As advertized it is alpha cellulose based, lignin and acid free, no OBAs and archival.  Several reviewers here and elsewhere have maybe detected OBAs in scans. This is one of the more important considerations to me, and the disparity between the advertising and the commentary give me pause. 

2. All barytas are just about the same in terms of white/black/DMAX and color rendition.  This one seems so too.  Only slight differences that machines can comment on better than my eyes at the moment.

3. When cutting baryta coated papers, they flake.  Baryta coated papers tend to split in two top to bottom.  It's the nature of the beast.  Skill and unfortold manufacturing can overcome it, but hey now, let's get real.

4. The flaking bit is really quite important and dependent on the underlying paper structure and texture.  Cotton fiber baryta coated paper, especially Canson's thick and textured Platine, is difficult to cut well with clean edges that you'd want to revel, rejoice and bathe yourself in.  Wood based fibers seem better suited for the job in my experience.  Innova's cuts about as well as any from my samples.

5. The surface of Innova's paper is smoother than most barytas and, presumably, more susceptible of detail.

6. This paper is reputedly titanium free.  I'm unsure what to make of that.

I've always gone with the big brands, but I do suspect this new/old paper might be a bit different and worthy. 

Other thoughts welcome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:18:15 am by Brad P »
Logged

Panagiotis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 450
    • Fine Art Print
Re: Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:10 am »

Anyone using this paper or evaluated it?

Just received a few samples.  My observations and questions.

1. What is the archival nature of this paper?  As advertized it is alpha cellulose based, lignin and acid free, no OBAs and archival.  Several reviewers here and elsewhere have maybe detected OBAs in scans. This is one of the more important considerations to me anyway. 

2. All barytas are just about the same in terms of white/black/DMAX and color rendition.  This one seems so too.  Only slight differences that machines can tell better than my eyes.

3. When cutting baryta coated papers, they flake.  Baryta coated papers tend to split in two top to bottom.  It's the nature of the beast.  Skill and unfortold manufacturing can overcome it, but hey now, let's get real.

4. The flaking bit is really quite important and dependent on the underlying paper structure and texture.  Cotton fiber baryta coated paper, especially Canson's thick and textured Platine, is difficult to cut well with clean edges that you'd want to revel, rejoice and bathe yourself in.  Wood based fibers seem better suited for the job in my experience.  Innova's cuts about as well as any from my samples.

5. The surface of Innova's paper is smoother than most barytas and, presumably, more susceptible of detail.  Just a wholly unverified and possibly wrong observation for the moment.

6. This paper is reputedly titanium free.  I'm unsure what to make of that.

I've always gone with the big brands, but I do suspect this new/old paper might be a bit different and worthy. 

Other thoughts welcome.

If it is about IFA-69 as I understand then most probably is the same paper as:
- Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
- Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta 310 and
- Canson Infility Baryta Photographique 310.
Logged

Brad P

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
Re: Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 02:42:43 am »

Thanks for the input. Agree it’s very similar to those and maybe now even made by mostly the same people.  From my experience it’s more like the old Harman Hahnhumele baryta than the others mentioned, without the pink tint.  I’m hoping mostly for longevity and as a sign of that, no OBAs as advertised. Cutting is critical in this class of paper to me. 
Logged

pikeys

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 234
    • My Pics
Re: Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:13 am »

I tried a few sample sheets ,that were given to me by Howard,he developed the IFA-45.exhibition cotton gloss.
I also tried exhibition photo baryta 310.,both sample packs came in 8 x 11in. size.
I was not overly impressed with this paper,and I will stay with Ilford Gold Fiber Silk,and Redriver Paloduro soft gloss rag.

I suggest you contact Howard @
[email protected]

This man really knows his stuff,and I'm sure he can answer all your questions.

Good Luck,
Mike

Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Innova Photo Exhibition Baryta
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:29 am »

If it is about IFA-69 as I understand then most probably is the same paper as:
- Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
- Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta 310 and
- Canson Infility Baryta Photographique 310.

Actually 7 alternatives (probably more) and among them a Felix Schoeller quality which usually tells something. The green and yellow spectral plots were measured later than the rest so the white point has been improving over time.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots



Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up