Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progress  (Read 695 times)

armand

• Photos
Progress
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:37:03 pm »

One of these days before going out for a quick walk in the park I grabbed a camera to have with me. As I didn't expect more than few snapshots and it happened to be in front of me I took the Fuji X-T1 with a 35 F2; haven't been using it for more than a year.
I was shocked by how clunky it felt compared to the X-T2 and I recall I used to be quite happy with it. It strikes me that often you don't realize how much better the tech is improving when you are in the middle of it. Also, when others complain that some cameras/systems are crap they might have a point if they experienced something significantly better.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:12:07 pm »

One of these days before going out for a quick walk in the park I grabbed a camera to have with me. As I didn't expect more than few snapshots and it happened to be in front of me I took the Fuji X-T1 with a 35 F2; haven't been using it for more than a year.
I was shocked by how clunky it felt compared to the X-T2 and I recall I used to be quite happy with it. It strikes me that often you don't realize how much better the tech is improving when you are in the middle of it. Also, when others complain that some cameras/systems are crap they might have a point if they experienced something significantly better.

That's very true. Our standards evolve as better things come out. I remember feeling the same when I moved from my beloved D810 to the D850. Many photographers seem not to be very curious and to think that the camera they are currently using is still on top. Trying out new equipment regularly is healthy. Now, that does obviously not always mean that these improvements necessarily result in better images.

Btw, this applies to many areas of human activity, not including only physical equipment, and obviously not only cameras. :)

- We sometimes meet new people that redefine what we call funny, knowledgeable, sexy,...
- We sometimes visit new places that redefine what we think is great in terms of quality of life, safety,...
- We sometimes read books that completely open new worlds,...

I tend to see this as being related to aging. Youth is the period of life when you are still open to the possibility that something better exists.  ;D

There is currently a clear worldwide trend towards closure, which pretty much means avoidance of exposure to things that are different/new. I find this to be very sad. But I guess that this may be becoming a bit too political. I'll stop here.  :)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:41:40 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: [1]   Go Up