Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for a new I mac  (Read 1557 times)

Larry451

looking for a new I mac
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:54 pm »

My 2011 imac 27"--- got the white screen,  after a lot of wasted internet time I took it to an authorized dealership in Ontario/Canada
---it is a boat anchor--
so I'm looking at a newish one--refurbished or not.  I create a lot of layers in photoshop + I'm using a nikon D800e = large files
any suggestions?
regards
Larry.

rdonson

Re: looking for a new I mac
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:19 pm »

Did you check Apple for refurbed iMacs?  Their online store often features many of them. 
Regards,
Ron

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:59 am »

Sign up for an adult education course at your local community college, then take advantage of Apple's Store for Education. About a 15% saving on usual prices.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:09 am »

You could also try the new Mac mini;
anyway i would choose:
16 gb of RAM - core i7 ( 4 cores) fast ssd(500GB) for system interior and ssd (larger than 1 TB) thunderbolt 3 exterior for photo files + regular harddisks exterior for backup and archive...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Larry451

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:13 am »

Hi,  thanks to all for the advice
regards
Larry.

texshooter

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:07:15 pm »

4K and 5K screens have pixel densities way too high for proper photo editing. You won't be able to accurately evaluate applied sharpening for prints and will tend to over-sharpen without realizing it when viewing at 100% . The iMac 27" 5K Retina display with its whopping 218 ppi native resolution is overkill  for print work if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:16:18 pm by texshooter »

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »

Apple introduced new iMacs today with newer CPUs and GPUs. If you are buying, make sure you get the new models.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:15 pm »

4K and 5K screens have pixel densities way too high for proper photo editing. You won't be able to accurately evaluate applied sharpening for prints and will tend to over-sharpen without realizing it when viewing at 100% . The iMac 27" 5K Retina display with its whopping 218 ppi native resolution is overkill  for print work if you ask me.

IMO, the only accurate way to evaluate print sharpening is to make prints.That said, there are other, better reasons to use a specialized editing monitor for critical editing of images. On the other hand, since many people viewing images on the Web are using high-resolution monitors these days, it makes sense to evaluate images intended for the Web on such a monitor. Thus, a two-monitor approach would seem to be ideal.

faberryman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »

IMO, the only accurate way to evaluate print sharpening is to make prints.That said, there are other, better reasons to use a specialized editing monitor for critical editing of images. On the other hand, since many people viewing images on the Web are using high-resolution monitors these days, it makes sense to evaluate images intended for the Web on such a monitor. Thus, a two-monitor approach would seem to be ideal.
If the only way to evaluate sharpening is to make prints, then it doesn't matter which monitor you use, much less needing two.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 06:57:41 pm »

If the only way to evaluate sharpening is to make prints, then it doesn't matter which monitor you use, much less needing two.

Well, that is simply wrong, as anyone who has a strong understanding of the editing process should know.

faberryman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:00 pm »

Well, that is simply wrong, as anyone who has a strong understanding of the editing process should know.
Obviously tongue in cheek.

texshooter

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 11:36:19 pm »

NEC used to sell a 32" 4K 99% Adobe RGB display, PA322UHD-BK, but discontinued it.  They replaced it with a smaller 30" version, PA322UHD-BK-2, but discontinued that one as well. NEC no longer makes 4K Adobe RGB displays larger than 27".

I wonder what went wrong.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:39:37 am by texshooter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up