Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shetland Islands Scotland  (Read 1254 times)

david.watson@btinternet.com

Shetland Islands Scotland
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:05:14 am »

I have been to most Scottish Islands - with my family when I was growing up and on various short trips over the last fifty years.  Usually I have travelled as a tourist and photography has not been my primary or even secondary reason. As an example I went to the Orkneys with a friend whose great-uncle was the admiral on the Royal Oak battleship sunk at the beginning of the 2nd world war with all hands (including his relative).  This trip was a memorial visit to the museums, cathedral and on a pilot boat over the wreck. It was very interesting and quite emotional at times as one would expect.

This year I went to Shetland with the primary purpose of taking photographs but with no great expectations.  In fact I was blown away in more than one sense of the word.  It is a very windy place and it was hugely difficult keeping the camera steady (not very successfully) and avoiding being blown over a cliff edge (I avoided that).  In the other sense I was amazed by the quality of the coastal scenery.  We were there for three days excluding travelling and we were guided by a local photographer to some terrific locations.  Unlike Iceland, which is hopelessly overcrowded with tourists and snappers, even in the winter, Shetland only has 50,000 visitors a year.  We did not see a single person in any of the locations we visited on the coast.  Admittedly March (when we went) is very quiet anyway and not the ideal time to photograph the abundance of wildlife or green rolling hills.

If you are interested in going here are a few bits of information which might be helpful.

Getting there.

By plane from the main Scottish cities via Loganair or be ferry from Aberdeen.  If flying the carry-on baggage limits are lower than usual due to the small size of the planes used.

https://www.loganair.co.uk

Car hire

A 4 x 4 (essential) can be hired from Bolts who will meet your incoming flight.

https://www.boltscarhire.co.uk

Accommodation.

We chose self catering in Lerwick.  It is practical to do this as any part of Shetland can be reached in an hour or two.

https://www.fort-charlotte.com/

Guidance.

Austin Taylor was a great choice as a guide.  He is a prominent working professional photographer in Shetland with a strong interest and extensive knowledge of the islands and its wild life. 

http://www.austintaylorphotography.com/contact.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:11:45 am by david.watson@btinternet.com »

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Shetland Islands Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:32:42 pm »

Nice.  How does Shetland compare with Orkneys?  My wife and I have been to Orkney twice (driving up from Bristol, using the RoRo ferries and staying in self-catering cottage), both times we decided not to extend the trip to Shetland, was that a mistake?

david.watson@btinternet.com

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:39:00 pm »

Shetland's interior in general is fairly uninteresting from a landscape point of view but the rocky coastline with cliffs, arches, potholes and thundering waves changes all of that.  We found that the best places required a good walk for example Hermaness is a stiff 60 minute uphill climb.

A guide with local knowledge is very useful as sometimes access is over private land - not a problem walking but there are difficulties with a vehicle.  Worth extending your next trip to Orkney to include Shetland I think. 

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »

Thanks, David, for the helpful info and the wonderful photos.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:05:14 pm »

Good stuff, David - particularly the first.

I shall add the Shetlands to my ever-growing list of Places To Visit.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:32 am »

Super set but the first one is really outstanding.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up