Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: S007 Now or S3 later  (Read 8891 times)

faberryman

Re: S007 Now or S3 later
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 07:17:52 pm »

interesting to hear about %...I am probably reading between the lines here but my interpretation is that the GFX100 is (very much like the 50S) is just a "pushing the limits" camera body to help sell lenses and keep customers who want more then a crop sensor....and they are killing it...doing everything right from every angle....price, check....quality, check....what are professionals asking for? C1, check....
still doubt that there is a GFX 100 in my future, but that is not because of the Fuji, it more about what the next sony will probably be...and it will most likely cover my needs better and more completely....which seems to be fine with Fuji....
$10,000 for a GFX100 body is still a lot of money in absolute terms.

pschefz

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 12:23:34 am »

$10,000 for a GFX100 body is still a lot of money in absolute terms.

100mpix with 14 and 16bit capture, up to 6fps, IBIS, AF to be years ahead of what we have seen from medium format before, incredible (and affordable) lenses and an updated version of the ergonomically best finder i have ever worked with....
the only reason 10K seems high is that the next sony will probably be VERY VERY close in terms of IQ with better AF, faster shooting, smaller package and 1/3 of the price....

this (global shutter tech)  is what i am really excited about
schefz.com
artloch.com

BJL

S007 ... Global shutters are still not good for stills cameras
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 02:01:43 pm »

this (global shutter tech)  is what i am really excited about
Unfortunately that Pregious S global shutter still halves dynamic range and well capacity by using half the sensor area for light-shielded memory during read-out. That is the reason Sony is only talking about industrial uses (where global shutters have been available for some time), not “regular” cameras.

Panasonic has a better global shutter idea, if it can ever be bought to market: an electronically switchable shutter in front of the photosites.

faberryman

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:08 pm »

the only reason 10K seems high is that the next sony will probably be VERY VERY close in terms of IQ with better AF, faster shooting, smaller package and 1/3 of the price....
No, it seems high because $10,000 is a lot of money in absolute terms.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2019, 03:39:43 pm »

Quote from: pschefz link=topic=129440.msg1101727#msg1101727 date=1553833414[url=https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/press-text-sony-develops-a-stacked-cmos-global-shutter-image-sensor/
this (global shutter tech)  is what i am really excited about[/url]

From my best understanding, we are at least five years away from cameras that have excellent photographic image quality and global shutters.

This sensor is for industrial purposes like machine vision inspection. It would make a pretty awful photographic camera sensor.

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2019, 05:27:16 pm »

As the OP who's still following the discussion with interest, I have to ask: is there a consensus among the connoisseurs here that Sony sensors are simply the best and everyone else is playing catch-up?

If you look at the technical specifications and the scientific tests that have been done and you want the part of the entire imaging pipeline where the sensor is concerned, to have the most modern tech and the best electronics and the highest signal-to-noise ratio and also keep your creative options as open as possible with a nice thick malleable file, there's actually only one sensor factory to watch, and that would be Sony?

Is there any other maker that produces high quality sensors that are of interest in the field of photography? Maybe for creative reasons?

Foveon sensors come to mind.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2019, 07:28:50 pm »

As the OP who's still following the discussion with interest, I have to ask: is there a consensus among the connoisseurs here that Sony sensors are simply the best and everyone else is playing catch-up?

Yes, the only company that seems close is Nikon but it is unclear what part of their sensors is based on their own IP vs Sony's.

Cheers,
Bernard

pschefz

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2019, 10:44:21 pm »

From my best understanding, we are at least five years away from cameras that have excellent photographic image quality and global shutters.

This sensor is for industrial purposes like machine vision inspection. It would make a pretty awful photographic camera sensor.

5 years is closer then i thought!
who knows what else they will come up until then but global shutter will change everything IMO....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:41 pm »

If you look at the technical specifications and the scientific tests that have been done and you want the part of the entire imaging pipeline where the sensor is concerned, to have the most modern tech and the best electronics and the highest signal-to-noise ratio and also keep your creative options as open as possible with a nice thick malleable file, there's actually only one sensor factory to watch, and that would be Sony?

Is there any other maker that produces high quality sensors that are of interest in the field of photography? Maybe for creative reasons?

Foveon sensors come to mind.

i saw the Q2 sensor DR test today and was disappointed....i did have high hopes for the SR1 (which i am assuming shares the sensor with the Q2) , the S1 looks like a killer video camera, not sure about the AF system right now but from what i understand it has potential to get much better with firmware....the mount opens a lot of doors....looked like a promising system to challenge sony (and nikon) but the test showed it more then a stop behind in DR tests....what makes it worse that neither SR1 or Q2 are really shipping yet and we know sony will drop a flagship (within a year?)....
I just dont see sony even having any competition at this point....the A7RII sensor released in 2015 still beats this new Q2 sensor....canon is alive because a lot of people still have a lot of canon glass and lots of people buying their first camera simply are buying a canon.....although that is changing dramatically....
fuji, hasselblad, phase one are all using the same sony sensor....not sure who makes the leica S sensor but again: it just does not compare.....
i wish there was competition, sony just saw nikon, canon and panasonic entering the FF mirrorless market and in all honesty the only real challenger to the A7R is the nikon....which uses a sony sensor....so much for competition....
schefz.com
artloch.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2019, 05:04:39 am »

The Z7 sensors appears to be manufactured by Sony and to have some Sony IP in it, but Thom is pretty clear that it also has some Nikon IP.

It is clearly not an off the shelf Sony part.

Cheers,
Bernard

pschefz

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 01:31:20 pm »

The Z7 sensors appears to be manufactured by Sony and to have some Sony IP in it, but Thom is pretty clear that it also has some Nikon IP.

It is clearly not an off the shelf Sony part.

Cheers,
Bernard
Same with Fuji
schefz.com
artloch.com

BJL

S007 Now or S3 later—Sony's roles in sensors for Nikon, Fujifilm, etc.
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2019, 02:20:16 pm »

Same with Fuji
AKFAIK, Fujifilm uses special CFA's on some of its sensors (X-trans"), but the underlying silicon is a standard Sony product. Nikon instead seems to contribute some technology in the silicon itself, and ges sensor no in Sony's product catalog.

Aside: there is an interesting twist recently; Fujifilm has Sony Semiconductor's new 26MP 24x16mm sensor in two cameras (X-T3 and X-T30) before anyone else, including Sony Imaging.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up