Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is a picture sharp enough?  (Read 2818 times)

hogloff

Re: When is a picture sharp enough?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »

Precisely. There are few things more tedious than a pixel-peeper who is more interested in the sharpness of a photo than any thing else.

Yep. If only people would be so obsessed with other aspects of a photo as they are with pixel peeping sharpness, I'm sure most would be much further ahead in producing amazing work.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »

The opposite is true also.  I just came back from a cruise.  The ship ohotographer took pictures of me and my wife while we were eating dinner.  Before we finished dessert, he returned with 8x10" photos of the shots.  So the shots were so unsharpened, smoothed deliberately, to eliminate any wrinkles on our faces, the results made our skin look like liquid plastic.  Plus the white balance was off making our skin look like the pink bottoms of walruses.  Of course , my wife didn't notice, so pleased she was with how great her smooth skin was; a common comment I'm sure from all women.  Actually, I looked a lot younger too although I tried to not let my ego get in front of my photography experience.   So I told the photographer to reduce the shot to 5x7 and asked him to reduce the smoothing.  I also asked ho  to color balance it but he complained the lighting was off which is strange since the room was dark and he was using a flash.  In any case.  The next day when he was to have to photo ready, we checked and the skin color was pale on one 5x7 and the other 5x7 was just a reduced copy of the original print.  So we took the second.  My wife liked how smoothly great she looked in it.  Well the 5x7 reduced that effect so we bought it.

Regarding over-sharpening, often many pictures just look too fake when that's done.  It also adds to the "digital" soap opera look which film tends to avoid.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:50 am »

I think subject isolation created by shallow depth-of-field at the time of capture typically provides a more pleasant sense of sharpness in the final image than aggressive manipulation of contrast along edge boundaries during post-processing.  For appropriate subjects, of course.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up