Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing folders and subfolders?  (Read 1661 times)

gchappel

Importing folders and subfolders?
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:00:53 am »

As I put my toe in the retirement waters, I am looking back through older works.
I started using lightroom in 2009- and the catalog and metadata search functions have been terrific for my searches.
I have 10,000++ images from before 2009.  These are all in dated folders- a separate master folder for each year, and under that a separate folder for each shoot date.  I would like to import all these images into a new catalog- so I can do metadata searches. 
Is there an easy way to import these in bulk, or do I have to open hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, individual dated folders to import the images? 
I tried google searches with no luck- any ideas here?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Importing folders and subfolders?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:38:49 am »

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/complete-guide-importing-photos-lightroom/

See the section: Importing your existing photo library.

Does this help?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:39:25 am »

As I put my toe in the retirement waters, I am looking back through older works.
I started using lightroom in 2009- and the catalog and metadata search functions have been terrific for my searches.
I have 10,000++ images from before 2009.  These are all in dated folders- a separate master folder for each year, and under that a separate folder for each shoot date.  I would like to import all these images into a new catalog- so I can do metadata searches. 
Is there an easy way to import these in bulk, or do I have to open hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, individual dated folders to import the images? 
I tried google searches with no luck- any ideas here?
Thanks in advance.
Gary
Just open the normal import window select the root directory of your file structure, make sure include sub-folders is clicked and import at current location.  Find something else to do while Lightroom builds thousands of pre-views.  :o

gchappel

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 12:08:37 pm »

Thanks!!
That did it, I did not see the include subfolder option.
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up