Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Leaking Inking  (Read 772 times)

jhein

Z3200 Leaking Inking
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:02:03 pm »

My Z3200 is complaining about needing to reseat the Yellow and GE cartridges.  So I do it and the printer goes through the tests and then says the cartridges are empty but they are not!  They are at least 2/3's full.  I go through the left ink station (ISS) diagnostic and it says: (Hat tip to Mark for providing the PDF on how to do this!)

Replace the failing ink supplies for error or tube leakage: F Y  Note the message is not grammatically correct but that is what it says.

Now I have a Z3100 as well.  I swap cartridges with that printer and the Z3200 reports the same problem.  The Z3100 has no problem with either set of cartridges BTW.

So I disassemble the left side thinking the left ink station needs to be inspected.  During the inspection there is fresh yellow ink in the catch tray under the ISS. 

uh-oh.

I inspect the Z3100 and there is no ink in the catch tray.   I am not sure where to go next.  Swapping cartridges did not help in this case.  That is why I am hesitant to buy new cartridges.

My theory is the seals on the ISS have failed and that is why the ink is leaking.  I fear this may be beyond my ability to justify the cost fixing the printer.  Do I need all new tubes or a new ISS or both or ???

Any thoughts?
thanks,
Jim

deanwork

Re: Z3200 Leaking Inking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:12:50 pm »

Is your waste tank full of ink over there? Could be time to replace that.

quote author=jhein link=topic=129417.msg1098772#msg1098772 date=1551830523]
My Z3200 is complaining about needing to reseat the Yellow and GE cartridges.  So I do it and the printer goes through the tests and then says the cartridges are empty but they are not!  They are at least 2/3's full.  I go through the left ink station (ISS) diagnostic and it says: (Hat tip to Mark for providing the PDF on how to do this!)

Replace the failing ink supplies for error or tube leakage: F Y  Note the message is not grammatically correct but that is what it says.

Now I have a Z3100 as well.  I swap cartridges with that printer and the Z3200 reports the same problem.  The Z3100 has no problem with either set of cartridges BTW.

So I disassemble the left side thinking the left ink station needs to be inspected.  During the inspection there is fresh yellow ink in the catch tray under the ISS. 

uh-oh.

I inspect the Z3100 and there is no ink in the catch tray.   I am not sure where to go next.  Swapping cartridges did not help in this case.  That is why I am hesitant to buy new cartridges.

My theory is the seals on the ISS have failed and that is why the ink is leaking.  I fear this may be beyond my ability to justify the cost fixing the printer.  Do I need all new tubes or a new ISS or both or ???

Any thoughts?
thanks,
Jim
[/quote]

jhein

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:36:43 am »

Thanks for the tip.  I don't think it is that.  The waste tank on the left was replaced about 6 months ago.  It has almost no ink in it. 
I basically got this printer for next to nothing so I willing to put some money into it but I just don't know where to start.

thanks
Jim

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:50 am »

So, in order to fully understand this situation, you would need to do a Bongo test (see in repair manual).
That is a real pain to do and requires at least 1/2-3/4 or full cartridges.

If it was mine, I'd try to find the details about the error message.
I can't remember exactly, but if after the error message, you press menu and up arrow at the same time, you will get an explanation further of the arrow message.
You'll probably have to go to the repair manual to find the right button combination, so do your homework.

My experience tells me that you might possibly have a print mech board gone bad.
If you come to the same conclusion, buy a new oem print mech board from HP or a HP reseller.  If replacing the print mech board doesn't work, you can call HP and they should give you technical support relating to the print mech board and your issue.

When you get into IS errors, I'm not that up on repairs for that, so possibly Ernst Dinkla might see this and give suggestions as he knows more about this than I do.
I've been fortunate not to have had to replace any ink lines, even though I know how to do it.

I recommend finding out further what button combination to push to find out how to read into the error message.

Best,

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 02:33:50 pm »

Because the yellow head is the same as the z3100 you can try swapping out the head. The only time I ever had an ink leak was when a head was leaking.

So, in order to fully understand this situation, you would need to do a Bongo test (see in repair manual).
That is a real pain to do and requires at least 1/2-3/4 or full cartridges.

If it was mine, I'd try to find the details about the error message.
I can't remember exactly, but if after the error message, you press menu and up arrow at the same time, you will get an explanation further of the arrow message.
You'll probably have to go to the repair manual to find the right button combination, so do your homework.

My experience tells me that you might possibly have a print mech board gone bad.
If you come to the same conclusion, buy a new oem print mech board from HP or a HP reseller.  If replacing the print mech board doesn't work, you can call HP and they should give you technical support relating to the print mech board and your issue.

When you get into IS errors, I'm not that up on repairs for that, so possibly Ernst Dinkla might see this and give suggestions as he knows more about this than I do.
I've been fortunate not to have had to replace any ink lines, even though I know how to do it.

I recommend finding out further what button combination to push to find out how to read into the error message.

Best,

Mark

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:47:58 pm »

I have had problems with both leaky printheads and bad seals on both ends of the ink supply tubes, over the last eleven years. Thankfully, the printheads are a simple fix, and the ink supply tubes are not terribly daunting to replace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up