Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Batch adjust colour based on ColorChecker Passport  (Read 2204 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Help - Batch adjust colour based on ColorChecker Passport
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:37 pm »

Hi,
I have a folder of JPG images that need the colour corrected. I have a Colour Checker Passport photographed under the same conditions and processed the same. I need to adjust the colours to be correct from the Passport. Is there a way to do this please? (I have the raws but can't use them as the JPG have all been edited to remove items from the background and it would be huge to start again.)

I use Aperture normally but have Photoshop and Lightroom also. I would have thought that the Passport app would do this but it does not seem so.
Thanks.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: Help - Batch adjust colour based on ColorChecker Passport
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:48:57 pm »

Hi,
I have a folder of JPG images that need the colour corrected. I have a Colour Checker Passport photographed under the same conditions and processed the same. I need to adjust the colours to be correct from the Passport. Is there a way to do this please? (I have the raws but can't use them as the JPG have all been edited to remove items from the background and it would be huge to start again.)

I use Aperture normally but have Photoshop and Lightroom also. I would have thought that the Passport app would do this but it does not seem so.
Thanks.

Isn't there a detailed video of how to do this on X-rite website?  The easiest would be to do the white balance correction on one of the gray squares and apply the same to all of the rest.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:14:11 pm »

The easiest would be to do the white balance correction on one of the gray squares and apply the same to all of the rest.
Yes, that fixes white balance but it does not fix colour

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 08:40:05 pm »

That then gets into what you mean by "fixing color", and whether the proposed technique, which usually works well on raw files, is right for a situation wherein the photos have been edited, and rendered to RGB and JPEG format. I ask because I'm not sure and would hope to elicit further discussion of the question.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »

That then gets into what you mean by "fixing color",
Thanks Mark.
Essentially all files including the Passport shot have been through an "enhancement" process such as curves and saturation that needs to be reversed. The photos have also been edited to remove props etc used to hold the articles in place which is too complex to start from scratch on.

By fixing I mean accurate colour so that the red patch on the Passport which should have a certain RGB value now has that value and the same for each of the 24 patches. Then I need to somehow apply that to all images.

Phocus for example does this at the point of capture but I am trying to do it in post. So I am hoping that there is some app that identifies the Passport and then applies a colour correction to each JPG.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 11:29:29 pm »

Once you've made different kinds of adjustments to different photos, the RELATIVE starting points of the colours, for example between the "white point" and all other colours, would vary from photo to photo, I think making it impossible to achieve the kind of accuracy you describe with any quick and easy process.

dehnhaide

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:57:58 am »

This is not the ColorChecker is intended to be used. It will basically generate a Lightroom / Capture One Pro compatible custom camera profile based on a raw image (.dng).
Your workflow was wrong from the very beginning and the camera profiling should have occurred first then the color corrected shots should have been exported as jpegs (why would you do that for professional work only you might know!!!) and then corrected for props and artefacts removal. Back to drawing board, I would date to say.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:01:00 am »

Once you've made different kinds of adjustments to different photos, the RELATIVE starting points of the colours, for example between the "white point" and all other colours, would vary from photo to photo
That wasn't the answer I was hoping for but it solved the problem!
All of the files SHOULD have had the same adjustment but I had left the Levels Adjustment on AUTO instead of doing a manual luminous adjustment.
Leaving on Auto meant that each colour had its own levels adjustment which changed the colour mix.
I went back to the raws, adjusted one and then all of the colours were correct.
So I may have to redo the cloning out but at least I know what went wrong.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:11:10 am »

This is not the ColorChecker is intended to be used. It will basically generate a Lightroom / Capture One Pro compatible custom camera profile based on a raw image (.dng).
Your workflow was wrong from the very beginning and the camera profiling should have occurred first then the color corrected shots should have been exported as jpegs (why would you do that for professional work only you might know!!!) and then corrected for props and artefacts removal. Back to drawing board, I would date to say.
Thanks for telling me what I already knew. I know how it is meant to be used. Do you have an answer to the question?

FYI you don't need to use a DNG and you don't need either Capture One or Lightroom.
The colour has always been right straight out of Phocus. I then just crop in Aperture and export a JPG and clean in Photoshop. It was the levels adjustment that changed the colour by a simple mistake of leaving it on auto.

However there should be a means to use Passport to colour correct if all of the files had received the same adjustment.

howardm

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:29:39 am »

Can everyone dial-back the overall dickish-ness? 

There's a world-wide surplus at the moment.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:33:54 am »

That wasn't the answer I was hoping for but it solved the problem!
All of the files SHOULD have had the same adjustment but I had left the Levels Adjustment on AUTO instead of doing a manual luminous adjustment.
Leaving on Auto meant that each colour had its own levels adjustment which changed the colour mix.
I went back to the raws, adjusted one and then all of the colours were correct.
So I may have to redo the cloning out but at least I know what went wrong.

Super - glad it's resolved.

soniabell8mg

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 01:33:57 pm »

The water spoiled the passport - help! To be honest, I don't know what to do about it. Perhaps you are being driven into the database and you will need to create a passport in a new way. Most likely, it will be so, wait only for an answer from the passport office and what they can help you with. More often than not, people at the passport office don't want to mess with your documents, so you shouldn't count on their help. It is better to try to contact a certain lawyer who will help you with obtaining a passport and issuing it in a new form (it can also speed up the process of obtaining a passport). Also I recently discovered a site where you can also link to them if anything. They will help you if you have spoiled your passport.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:03:46 am by soniabell8mg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up