Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: protecting prints  (Read 1018 times)

bwana

protecting prints
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:30:09 am »

I spray my satin and pearl paper prints with this:

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digital-fineart/protect-authenticate/hahnemuehle-protective-spray.html

But everything I've read says to use this for canvas:

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digital-fineart/protect-authenticate/hahnemuehle-varnish.html

Why? And what should I put on metallic paper prints? or metallic canvas for that matter?

I.T. Supplies

Re: protecting prints
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:29:51 pm »

We normally recommend roll-on coating for canvas so it will go into the weave better than spray, and spray more for papers.  You can still use a spray for canvas, but since it just lays down on the media, it won't easily go into the weave to better protect those sections as much as the top.

So, it's really based on customers and how they can apply it.  Some don't have a good ventilation system for spray (spray can or hlvp).

Since metallic paper and canvas already have a type of metallic coating, you can use a spray with both.  The metallic canvas as the "glossy" finish that will allow the spray to apply easier as the gloss coating is already in the weave as opposed to a matte finish with no additional coatings.  While metallic coating is just a coating to give the metallic finish, it will work similar to a luster/gloss media upfront and coating it for protection when giving to clients/customers is best.  Many may say that it doesn't need a protection coating, but these are not completely true.  Solvent/Latex prints will go this direction due to the type of ink while pigment ink usually requires (or those companies like us recommends) a protection coating to help preserve the quality of the print; regardless if it's paper or canvas.

Hope this helps.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:37:21 am »

The solvent spray varnish can be used for both paper and canvas. The main reason the roll-on water based varnish is preferred for canvas is that it offers more of a protective coating, both physical and UV, than the spray, since canvas has no added glass to protect it. It also helps prevent edge cracking. Another reason is that the solvent spray varnish can crack if put on too thick as the canvas expands and contracts over time since the solvent varnish is inflexible.

The water based varnish is flexible but cannot be roller applied to a glossy canvas without the ink lifting as the ink does not adhere as well to a glossy/luster surface as it does to a matte surface. It can be carefully applied using a HVLP though. So if you do want to coat a glossy canvas with the water based varnish using a roller you must first spray the canvas with the solvent spray varnish to make it waterproof.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:40:54 am by mearussi »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:00 pm »

Glossy canvas? Isn't that an oxymoron?

FWIW, I use Breathing Color Timeless for canvas and Print Shield spray for paper. I have been perfectly happy with both.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:04:58 pm »

Glossy canvas? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Why? Canvas can be anything from extreme matt to high gloss finish.  They look very different.  Yes maybe not the same thing as a straight glossy print, but how else do you describe a very clear shiny coat on a piece of canvas?  Even some oil paintings on canvas take on a very glossy look depending on how they are preserved and lacquered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up