Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best MFDB for long exposures  (Read 3486 times)

KenRexach

Best MFDB for long exposures
« on: November 04, 2006, 10:50:44 am »

in my continuous Research of MFDBs one question I havent been able to answer is which of the current backs is best for long exposures. Im talking from 30sec to minutes.

I used the 5D for a project I was hired but noticed I lost considerable resolution and image quality when doing long exposures. The results werent bad, publishable, but I want better results since on close inspections the images need more detail and need to be cleaner. I will use it at night and twilight so clean skies are important.

I used film during long exposures ta night with great results but so far digital cameras have failed to deliver in that area. (I cant use MF or LF film anymore since there are no quality developers left locally anymore, i live on an island)

sundstei

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 11:43:45 am »

The Leaf backs have a limit of 30sec exposure..

But I have had excellent results with exposures on my A75 at this shutterspeed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 11:45:17 am by sundstei »

michael

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:48:29 am »

Phase One backs allow for quite long exposures. I have done 20 minutes with excellent results on a P45. Apparently the new Plus series will be even better at this.

Michael

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:52:29 am »

It looks like the Phase One new + series backs can expose an image up to 1 hour "with Xpose+ Technology"... whatever that is.
Phase have been better at long exposures for a while now but I dont know what penalty to image quality these extra long exposures have.
Andrew
 ht

KenRexach

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:40:24 pm »

Thanks guys. That is a huge plus of the phase backs then. Suprised its not an issue that comes up as often when comparing backs.

Im leaning more and more towards a phase back. A P21+ or P30+ is very likely.

I am too a bit concerned about Canon's next 1Ds since it probably will have 20+ MP (reason i might pick a P30 over the P21) but doubt it will be as clean in long exposures and it most likely wont have the high flash sync capability of a Hasselblad H camera.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 04:20:42 pm »

the sinar emotion backs have no limits, but after 60seconds they start to be too noisy. i think this is kodak/ phase/ (+canon! ) territory
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1]   Go Up