Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biosphere  (Read 663 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Biosphere
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:37:00 pm »

Streetart, before anyone wonders about the lack of asphalt. Who knew, the things one can hide behind the designation of art? Ignorance mostly? Or a hobby perhaps? Most artists don't make money, or so I'm told. Artist therefore is synonymous with hobbyist.

There! Proven beyond reasonable doubt; artists are nothing other than f***ing amateurs...

Biosphere
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ivophoto

Re: Biosphere
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:30:52 am »

Streetart, before anyone wonders about the lack of asphalt. Who knew, the things one can hide behind the designation of art? Ignorance mostly? Or a hobby perhaps? Most artists don't make money, or so I'm told. Artist therefore is synonymous with hobbyist.

There! Proven beyond reasonable doubt; artists are nothing other than f***ing amateurs...

Biosphere

It’s the other way around. Most hobbyists think they are artist. And there is a public for hobbyist contraptions,namely: all other self declared artist hobbyists.

Because that is how it works. One hobbyists tap the shoulder of the other and then wait for a tap back. Preferably by visiting a depressive amateur exhibition, walls full good attempts at best.
That are your artists. Not more than hobbyist.

And it is so common practice that you think artist are hobbyist.

So:
Wow, great shot!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 08:40:17 am »

You need to understand the real, original meaning of the word “amateur,” Ivo. It identifies someone who does something because he loves it. That’s the “ama” in the word. Unfortunately the word has been degraded to a point where most people take it to mean someone who’s unqualified or not skillful enough. The real difference between an amateur and a “professional” is that the professional does it for pay, and the amateur does it because he loves to do it. Some amateurs are infinitely better at photography than many professionals. If you don’t believe that, come to the U.S., walk through some small towns and check the photo studios of the local “professionals.” But besides the difference in motivation, there’s the fact that in many instances the “professional” is forced to take on work he dislikes – because he needs the money. The amateur only does stuff he loves.

When you talk about “hobbyists,” though, you’re pretty much on the money. For a real look at hobbyists in action, check a web site like nikonians.org. These guys are gadgeteers. It’s all about equipment: having the latest stuff and having more of it than the next guy. I’ll never forget one evening in St. Augustine, Florida, a place where half the people you see are carrying cameras and shooting pretty stuff. A guy walked through with a harness and belt upon which he’d clipped three large DSLRs. It struck me that if he pulled one of the cameras off the belt he’d probably topple over to the other side. That’s gadgeteering and hobbyism at its most intense.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivophoto

Biosphere
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:43:08 am »

You need to understand the real, original meaning of the word “amateur,” Ivo. It identifies someone who does something because he loves it. That’s the “ama” in the word. Unfortunately the word has been degraded to a point where most people take it to mean someone who’s unqualified or not skillful enough. The real difference between an amateur and a “professional” is that the professional does it for pay, and the amateur does it because he loves to do it. Some amateurs are infinitely better at photography than many professionals. If you don’t believe that, come to the U.S., walk through some small towns and check the photo studios of the local “professionals.” But besides the difference in motivation, there’s the fact that in many instances the “professional” is forced to take on work he dislikes – because he needs the money. The amateur only does stuff he loves.

When you talk about “hobbyists,” though, you’re pretty much on the money. For a real look at hobbyists in action, check a web site like nikonians.org. These guys are gadgeteers. It’s all about equipment: having the latest stuff and having more of it than the next guy. I’ll never forget one evening in St. Augustine, Florida, a place where half the people you see are carrying cameras and shooting pretty stuff. A guy walked through with a harness and belt upon which he’d clipped three large DSLRs. It struck me that if he pulled one of the cameras off the belt he’d probably topple over to the other side. That’s gadgeteering and hobbyism at its most intense.

The  discussion pro vs amateur is a different one. Agree.
A not selling artist does not make him an amateur, just an unsuccessful artist.

My elaboration is about hobbyist vs artist.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:48:42 am by Ivophoto »

rabanito

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 12:44:48 pm »

I couldn't have said that better

(because of my poor English, AOT  ;D )
Pages: [1]   Go Up