Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Map Module offline again  (Read 1069 times)

mbaginy

Map Module offline again
« on: March 01, 2019, 05:52:50 am »

The past few days I haven't been able to use the map module.  Entering a location brings the error message that the Map Module is offline.

Has anyone else encountered this too, or is there something (new?) I need to switch on?

This was a problem with LR about a year ago, but was since fixed and did function properly until just now.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Map Module offline again
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:59:26 am »

What version of LR, what OS?

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 07:39:54 am »

Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra and LR Classic CC 8.2 with Camera Raw 11.2 (my iMac is too old run run Mojave).

The map module was working last week.  This error message just began popping up a few days ago, but remains consistent.

The map module works on my MacBook air which is newer (than the iMac) and is running latest Mojave with latest LR.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 11:15:21 am »

Anything odd about your network / internet connection?

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:45:01 am »

No, John.  I've been working with LR the past three days, just as I always do.  Internet connection is normal.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 12:13:35 pm »

I asked about "odd". For example, is there a Proxy Server?

When you go into Help > System Info, what is the first line?

I don't see any evidence of a widespread problem in this area. Maybe just reboot the computer.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 04:41:59 am »

John, I restarted LR and subsequently the map module functions properly.

According to your experience, what it best practice for running LR - how often should the program re-started or when should it be quit?  I use LR and other image software daily, but usually simply let the iMac sleep at the end of the day, waking it the next morning.

Normally I have LR optimize and backup the catalog weekly, then reboot the computer.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 11:10:13 am »

Mike,

YMMV but for me I close Lr frequently even during a day and I let it optimize and backup the catalog daily.  The frequency of closing/reopening Lr is dependent on what I do in the DEVELOP module.  If I do a lot of editing, especially brushes and other tools I do it more frequently.  I've never let Lr run for days.  I reboot my iMac 3-5 times a week.  This may be due to the behavior of older versions of Lr that seemed to slow down significantly over time and perhaps had memory leaks.  In any case, I don't trust Lr to run reliably as you describe.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 11:24:06 am »

... I close Lr frequently even during a day and I let it  .... backup the catalog daily.

And that would also be my view. I usually close LR at the end of the day (as a minimum) to allow my backup software to do its job.

Beyond that, which I consider is best practice, I think we then go into less firm territory, and restarting LR does have a handy way of resolving little glitches.

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:05 pm »

Thanks Ron, thanks John for your replies and advice.  I'll begin quitting LR at the end of my photo processing day and optimize the catalog more frequently when performing hours of development work.  Can't hurt and only cost's time.  Maybe the occasional weird performance will cease then too.

I recall the positive affect of more frequent catalog optimization when returning from Venice last December.  I spent some nine hours a day for a week processing the images I had taken.  After a few hours in the development module LR slowed noticeably.  Catalog optimization and rebooting LR quickened performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up