Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 and bond paper  (Read 625 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Epson 7900 and bond paper
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:37 pm »

Hello LL-ers,

I've been using my Epson 7900 for printing engineering drawings (heresy, I know).  In the past I've several rolls of HP 21-lb, Q1396A plain Universal Bond Paper, and today I pulled out a new roll and the printer had trouble recognizing the new roll with the error, "Refer to the manual to reload the paper correctly".  I'm wondering if the paper sensors are dusty or if the new paper had become cheaper and lighter weight than before.  I tried more than a dozen reloads, and instead switched to Photo Semigloss 250, which loaded, printed, and reloaded without a hitch.

I'm looking for insights:
- is there anything that could be going wrong with the printer?  Anything to clean or blow off with cleaner air?

Meantime, I've ordered a little heavier, 33-lb Q1412B roll and will be stuck using photo proper while waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks much, Ralph
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:19:24 am by reburns »

I.T. Supplies

Re: Epson 7900 and bond paper
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 11:05:03 am »

Hi Ralph,

Have you checked for a firmware update recently?  If everything is good and you still have an issue loading the roll after all this time, restart the printer as it may refresh the cache.  The paper sensors shouldn't have that type of issue, but is possible.  If you can change the media type to another paper and it reads, it may be the bond media type itself that is having the issue.  Maybe try a matte setting to see if that reads the media since it's a matte paper and will use the MBK.

If the issue still sticks after all of these options, may need to check with Epson or an authorized service center to see if they have ideas on how to correct it; unless it's unrepairable on the setting itself.  But a matte media should suffice; just a heavier media setting than bond.

562-276-1305
https://epson.com/servicelocator?productCode=SPT_SP7900HDR

Hope one of these helps.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Re: Epson 7900 and bond paper
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:02 pm »

Hello I.T. Supplies -

And thanks for the reply!

The firmware is current, and I had tried several restarts for the printer.  What fixed it was a heavier roll of paper, HP-Q1412B (33#, 131gm/m^2), instead of the thinner Q1396A (21#, 80gm/m^2).  Not sure if the problem is my printer or the paper, but the heavier paper is working just fine.

- Ralph
Pages: [1]   Go Up