Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpen AI by Topaz  (Read 30882 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Sharpen AI by Topaz
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 11:17:42 am »

ok... what is the explanation for "stabalize"

"Stabilize" will try fixing motion blur, regardless of the direction. As if it stabilizes the camera, or the subject, after the fact.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 12:20:32 pm »

This is just amazing. All focus restoration software before this was just a gimmick, this is a real deal!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:31:37 pm by MichaelEzra »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 12:50:51 pm »

This is just amazing. All focus restoration software before this was a just gimmick, this is a real deal!

Impressive!

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 01:10:19 pm »

Looks like it is time to update my GPU as I 'only' have a GTX 960 with 2gb vram. ;D

bobfriedman

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 01:40:27 pm »

looks like if you give it a monochrome image (.tif) it only generates a color output and has color noise.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

faberryman

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 01:48:20 pm »

looks like if you give it a monochrome image (.tif) it only generates a color output and has color noise.
This is the same as with AI Gigapixel. They only trained the software with color images so all interpolated data are in color.

bobfriedman

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 02:04:07 pm »

also seems to strip EXIF
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 02:10:59 pm »

also seems to strip EXIF

Hi Bob,

If you report it to their support crew, they'll fix it.

The color from Achromatic input is, as mentioned a side-effect from being trained on Color images.
What happens if you desaturate? Or are you using toned images?

Cheers,
Bart

MichaelEzra

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 02:14:13 pm »

Check this out. With ACR, this is the sharpest I could do.
This is image from the old and soft Fuji S3; the resolution gain is phenomenal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:18:02 pm by MichaelEzra »

bobfriedman

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 02:17:00 pm »

Hi Bob,

If you report it to their support crew, they'll fix it.

The color from Achromatic input is, as mentioned a side-effect from being trained on Color images.
What happens if you desaturate? Or are you using toned images?

Cheers,
Bart

Grayscale images..

report what?.. the EXIF stripping?

Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Garnick

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 02:28:23 pm »

I do have a variety of Topaz Plugins, but this one is puzzling me to some extent.  Nowhere in the email introduction to Sharpen AI nor on their site is there any reference to this being an "update" to Topaz InFocus.  It would seem that I am missing something here.  There is no statement to the effect that if one owns Topaz InFocus this "new" product is a free download. 

Would someone please clue me in on this.  Even though my present GPU does not support this plugin, as it progresses I will likely upgrade the GPU.  However, before that happens I would like to be clear about the possibility that I can download Sharpen AI as a free product.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:32:15 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 02:37:01 pm »

Check this out. With ACR, this is the sharpest I could do.
This is image from the old and soft Fuji S3; the resolution gain is phenomenal.

Hi Michael,

Very good example.

ACR added some structure, Topaz Sharpen AI added real texture. That skin became almost tangible, alive.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 02:39:08 pm »

Grayscale images..

report what?.. the EXIF stripping?

Yes, EXIF stripping. You're unlikely to be the only one (in fact I just experienced the same), so many will benefit if it gets fixed with priority. The more people report it, the sooner they'll 'focus' on it.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:50:33 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »

I do have a variety of Topaz Plugins, but this one is puzzling me to some extent.  Nowhere in the email introduction to Sharpen AI nor on their site is there any reference to this being an "update" to Topaz InFocus.  It would seem that I am missing something here.  There is no statement to the effect that if one owns Topaz InFocus this "new" product is a free download. 

Would someone please clue me in on this.  Even though my present GPU does not support this plugin, as it progresses I will likely upgrade the GPU.  However, before that happens I would like to be clear about the possibility that I can download Sharpen AI as a free product.

Gary

This is part of the email I received.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 03:29:15 pm »

Hi Gary,

Yes, as an owner of a license to the older InFocus plugin, you are entitled to a free upgrade, just as promised that updates and upgrades will be free.

Maybe the email was sent to another email address (the one with which you registered your InFocus plugin license), or it got stranded in your SPAM folder. Just login to your account page at TopazLabs, and you'll probably see that the upgrade is waiting for download, and a coupon is already in the shopping basket. If not, just contact them to align the administration details. Even without the required minimum hardware, you can probably run the software, albeit slowly. One can choose in the preferences to use either the GPU or the CPU as the main engine.

Cheers,
Bart

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 03:58:14 pm »

I've tried Sharpen AI on couple year old windows pc (windows 10) NVIDIA GeForec GTX 1050 GPU and 6 core Ryzen 1600CPU. It akes about 5 1/2 min to process a 24 Megapixel image using the Photoshop plugin. For most images the improvement is subtle but visual. For a couple of images I didn't see much if any difference between Sharpen AI and focus magic but most images were better than I got from focus magic.
Sharpen AI sometimes adds interesting stuff to out of focus areas so I find it best to use Sharpen AI on a layer in Photoshop so that I can mask out the undesirable stuff. In my opinion it is a useful tool for images that I plan to print. Doubt if the improvement is worth the extra time required for processing, on my system, for images destined for the web.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 04:05:04 pm »

As always, this is a first public release, so it will only get better. It takes weeks to train the AI and I know they are actively working with a difficult image I recently submitted.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

MichaelEzra

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 05:19:40 pm »

Aside from the successful samples I've shown above, I didn't have much success with Sharpen AI yet.
In most cases, Sharpen AI adds (in-paints) new detail, introduces micro-patterns that are foreign and that kills authenticity of the image.
This gets especially evident when image is enlarged for printing.

Also, in most circumstances I see a sort-of a tiling pattern. Not always rectangular, and not always with sharp edges/transitions.
If de-focusing large skin area, where part of the skin is in focus, Sharpen AI results in blotches of areas of improved sharpness intermixed with un-sharpenned areas. This creates rather a chaos in the image that no longer looks naturally focused/sharp/captured on camera. I hope these bugs would get sorted out, as it looks promising.

I would highly welcome de-focusing/sharpening with user-selectable option that could
1. avoid in-painting detail that did not originate from the same image and that could be
2. applied uniformly to the image for further manual masking.

Garnick

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2019, 05:45:35 pm »

Hi Gary,

Yes, as an owner of a license to the older InFocus plugin, you are entitled to a free upgrade, just as promised that updates and upgrades will be free.

Maybe the email was sent to another email address (the one with which you registered your InFocus plugin license), or it got stranded in your SPAM folder. Just login to your account page at TopazLabs, and you'll probably see that the upgrade is waiting for download, and a coupon is already in the shopping basket. If not, just contact them to align the administration details. Even without the required minimum hardware, you can probably run the software, albeit slowly. One can choose in the preferences to use either the GPU or the CPU as the main engine.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks for that Bart.  I have a feeling the email scenario is likely the issue, since when I purchased "InFocus" I may have used my business email address.  However, it is definitely not part of the email I received, so I'll login to my account and see what I can find.  If nothing, I will be in touch the folks there.  I've always found them to be very prompt and helpful with any issue I might have.  As far as the GPU issue is concerned, yes, I know I could use the CPU instead, but as you have mentioned, a hardware upgrade usually trumps software when possible.  First thing first though, get the software upgrade.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

faberryman

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 05:48:53 pm »

What is the difference between AI Sharpen and AI Gigapixel. The both create detail and sharpen. Is it the same underlying technology in different packaging?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up