Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Gamut issues with ACR 2019 latest...  (Read 3335 times)

guido

Strange Gamut issues with ACR 2019 latest...
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:45 am »

Is anyone seeing weird results trying to print images processed with the newest ACR drop? Even using Soft proof shows the issue. They look fine in normal edit mode...
I have tried current Canon 5DSR and 9 year old 5D2 raws and see the same thing. Previously processed images printing fine. Same file processed using ACR 2018 print fine.
Files printed or soft proofed from current ACR look grey and flat. Older psd files opened with the new version print and softproof fine...

guido

Re: Strange Gamut issues with ACR 2019 latest...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:59:56 pm »

Two hours of chatting with level 1 support made no progress on it so we are off to level 2 land... Oh my...

kirkt

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:10:37 am »

What OS and what version of Ps and ACR?

What printer and printer-paper profile?

Can you post a screenshot of the problem - for example, open a TIFF/PSD, or whatever, of a previously converted raw file that prints properly and soft-proof it in the appropriate printer-paper profile in PS; then open that same raw file in the newest version of ACR that you are having trouble with, do a new conversion into PS, and set up soft-proofing to be identical to the older conversion.  The only difference between the two images should be the version of ACR that did the conversion (i.e., all conversion settings and the color space into which you convert should be identical, all of the soft-proof settings should be identical, etc.).  View them 2-up, side-by-side in PS and take a screen shot to show the effect you are describing.

I assume you are talking about the soft-proof in the regular PS window, as opposed to the printer dialog.  The soft-proof in the printer dialog has been inaccurate for several versions of PS, at least on my Macs (i.e., it appears desaturated and grayish and, when set to the identical soft-proof settings as in the regular PS window, it looks completely different than the PS soft-proof).

It is a little difficult to visualize the issue you are describing otherwise.

kirk

guido

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:29:09 am »

Curiously resolved with the 20.0.4 update... Hmmm...

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 03:42:29 pm »

Curiously resolved with the 20.0.4 update... Hmmm...

There's lots of little bugs in Adobe's S/W so I'm not surprised. My biggest issue is Photoshop's different handling of soft proofing dark areas when changing the settings->desaturate (with 0% selected) on 30 bit monitors. The more accurate soft proof bypasses the 30 bit mode and displays 24 bits. The less accurate has all the smoothness of 30 bits but soft proofing is very degraded. Apparently they use a different path depending on the setting. Who knows if they will ever fix it.

Lightsmith

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 01:49:46 pm »

As soon as I read this web page it was obvious that the Adobe software engineers to not know how to right good code and they do not know how to test their code before it is released. As with Microsoft, Adobe is using its customers to be beta testers of its code.

When I do get a stable version of Photoshop CC I will stop doing updates as Adobe's engineers fix one problem and in doing so create a new one. Safer to work around their bugs or use another editor for critical functions.

guido

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »

I grumble about occasional Adobe bugs but none of the alternative products can do a fraction of the quality work that PS does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up