Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems upgrading to Mojave  (Read 1557 times)

Benny Profane

Problems upgrading to Mojave
« on: February 21, 2019, 09:54:39 pm »

So, I followed advice I got here in early 16, and bought a '10-ish Mac Pro tower from OWC with a new SSD drive and two 2T storage drives. Have been happy with the setup since, matching it up with an Eizo monitor and Epson P800. Great value. But.

Usually I try to ignore OS updates unless I have to. If everything is working well, why walk into a hornet's nest. So, Sierra was fine. Never upgraded to High Sierra, let alone Mojave. Heard rumbles that Mojave brought headaches, and headaches I do not need. Now, just recently Lightroom has introduced a new feature, Enhance Details, which sounds like it's right up my alley. Try to access it, and they tell me that I need High Sierra or later to use it. Fine. Time to upgrade, then. But, try to upgrade, and I can't. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using a third party SSD, and the Adobe installer won't work with that. I'm back and forth with OWC tech on this, and at first they thought I needed a new graphics card, but, that didn't work. The old one is compatible. I'm stumped. Back on the phone tomorrow, but, just here to see if anybody else has had issues. Anybody?

Here's my computer:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

Processor  3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Problems upgrading to Mojave
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:25:56 pm »

Usually I try to ignore OS updates unless I have to. If everything is working well, why walk into a hornet's nest. So, Sierra was fine. Never upgraded to High Sierra, let alone Mojave. Heard rumbles that Mojave brought headaches, and headaches I do not need. Now, just recently Lightroom has introduced a new feature, Enhance Details, which sounds like it's right up my alley. Try to access it, and they tell me that I need High Sierra or later to use it. Fine. Time to upgrade, then. But, try to upgrade, and I can't. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using a third party SSD, and the Adobe installer won't work with that.

1) I'm confused. Did you mean the Apple installer?
2) Apple doesn't make disk drives, so any drive will be 3rd party. That's not the problem.
3) Does OWC tell you that the computer you have is compatble with Mojave? (It is possible that the motherboard is not supported by Mojave. Apple's official stance is that it is not responsible for supporting anything older than 5 years, so they could have obsoleted your machine. Mojave is fully 64-bit, as I understand it, so it's going to leave some things behind. Hopefully, your machine is not one of them, but it might be.)
4) If the answer to #3 is no, you can still upgrade to High Sierra, and your machine may be compatible with that. Apple doesn't make it easy to find in its app store, but it is there. The easiest way is to go to this page https://support.apple.com/macos/high-sierra and click the link to the APP store you'll find there. That takes you directly to the High Sierra page in the APP store.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps a bit.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:15:35 pm »

I would recommend trying High Sierra if that's all you need.
t: @PNWMF

Benny Profane

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:23:34 am »

I should have been clearer. It's the hurdle into High Sierra that I can't do. I follow the instructions from Apple, something about a firmware update, and I'm stuck in a loop there.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:54:37 am »

I should have been clearer. It's the hurdle into High Sierra that I can't do. I follow the instructions from Apple, something about a firmware update, and I'm stuck in a loop there.

You didn't mention the firmware issue either.  ;)

The folks at OWC should be able to tell you if your system is compatible with the firmware required. And they should be able to walk you through the install if it is. But take a look at this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208691 It deals with this process in some detail.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Benny Profane

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:36:23 pm »

Eh, OWC is stumped. Can't achieve the firmware update to enable High Sierra, after a dozen tries, even after I tried booting off a spinning hard storage drive. This may be the end of the line for this computer. That's OK, It'll be good for a year or two, until I really need a new OS to work Photoshop and Lightroom. After reading about Enhance Details on this forum and elsewhere, doesn't sound like it was worth it at all. For now.

Benny Profane

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:51:52 pm »

Funny thing. I went to the OWC site to shop around, since I'm accepting that I'll need a new machine sometime, so, just curious. First, the selection of used trashcans is non existent, so had to look at this vintage 2010-12 tower pricing. But, when I get into specs, I read this: "Pre-loaded with macOS 10.12 Sierra". Hmmmm. So, that means that they aren't even selling these things with anything beyond Sierra. Because, well, they can't load them up with Mojave, like I can't with mine? I guess. So, hmmmm, maybe they were just messing me around, instead of telling me, sorry, won't work. Maybe. They were nice, though.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:02:15 pm »

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-six-core-3.33-mid-2010-westmere-specs.html says it should run Mojave - needs more *** though.

Found this tidbit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898
What was the card they sent you?

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Benny Profane

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:20 am »

The card that was in the thing didn't have to be replaced. That was my first mistake, talking to CS instead of tech. Sapphire 7950, it's on the approved list in the article above and on the Apple site.
Followed the procedure as outlined, Filevault was off, still no High Sierra.

I still find it to be, in poker terms, a tell, that they sell these towers with only Sierra installled.

Peter Brentlinger

• peterbrentlinger.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 11:36:37 am »

Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't have a solution however I wanted to let you know that I am running an Apple Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.8 (2010/Nehalem) with Mojave without any problems. I also ran it with OSX High Sierra again without any problems. Long before going to High Sierra or Mojave, I did upgrade the graphics card to a Sapphire RadeonHD 7950 3GB PCI Express. I've also been using a OWC Accelsior E2 for the OS and a OWC Accelsior S for Photoshop and Bridge cache files. I've also had to replace the power supply and have upgraded the RAM to 32 GB. I upgraded the wifi/bluetooth card as well. So, it can be done... I hope you can figure out your issue.

Benny Profane

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 02:03:57 pm »

Sounds like you have almost the same computer I have. Go figure.

Daverich

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 08:29:53 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up