Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace or repair 8300?  (Read 707 times)

dpirazzi

Replace or repair 8300?
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »

I know... another one of those fix or replace questions. ::) So I apologize in advance, and I know only I can decide if it is time, but still hoping for advice.

My trusty 8300 wants another head, which would not be a difficult decision normally. I've had no problems whatsoever with this printer over 7 years, other than replacing each head once. Its been a good run...

Three weeks ago I printed (6) 20x30 images with no problems, then this week it gave a 2F30 error message. I printed a nozzle check which showed only two partial colors, the rest were missing altogether. I removed the heads for inspection and noticed the ink lines to the heads did not have ink. After replacing the heads (same ones, not new) and letting the printer reinitialize them (filled a new maint cart with ink, arg...), it now shows a perfect nozzle check in Service mode. Outside of service mode the printer shows no error, but when I send a print, the printer performs a cleaning cycle then asks for a new head (R).

I suspect there is something more at play here than just the head needing replacing. The cost of one head would not be unreasonable if it led to another year or two of service, especially since most of my ink carts are new. But I have my doubts it will stop with the one head (not to mention ink and maint carts) so I'm thinking about pulling the plug.

Any advice appreciated. This is just a hobby and not a business, and I'll have to assess next steps accordingly.

Thanks, Dave

I.T. Supplies

Re: Replace or repair 8300?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:20 am »

If you start getting that error, it will most likely continue shortly after tricking it by taking it out and put back in to start the process over.  We've gone through this with the 8400 and after 3 times of this issue, it finally went into down mode until a NEW head was installed.  So, you can surely try if you're ok on the head cost and "hopefully" it gives you another year or so, but hard to say especially since it's a pretty old model now.

The head averages about $427 for most places, but if you can find it cheaper, that may help you since it's hard to say what may happen after replacing it.
In my opinion, is it worth buying another head and having something happen shortly after replacing it or put that money towards a new printer (updated technology/body and a single, larger head vs the 2 separate heads)?  But, your call.  7+ years for a large printer is a good usage time since average can be around 5-6.  I've heard some with a printer for near 10 years which is really good.  Also, need to think about the supplies for these discontinued models as inventory may become scarce soon, so another factor to look at.

Good luck otherwise and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
IT Supplies

dpirazzi

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:19 am »

The printer seems to be back to normal after replacing the right head and maintenance tank for about $425 (plus about 20% of my almost new ink carts).

Thanks for the response I. T. Supplies, it is definitely a crap shoot putting money into a printer this old. When my Epson 4900 stopped working it went into a death spiral (parts, ink, maint carts, more parts, more ink, etc, until we pulled the plug) and dragged my wallet with it.

Hopefully the 8300 will continue to produce beautiful prints for another year or two! Knocking on wood...

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:44:37 pm »

The inks and heads and other parts are the same as the 8400 and should be available for some time. These inks have better longevity than the new ones.

I love my 8300 so much. Mine was made in Japan and I think more reliable than later models that seem to come and go.  I have a studio full of 44 inch printers but it has been the most reliable printer I’ve ever owned, by far. Just replaced my right printhead again a month ago. That head lasted for three years for production work and an incredible number of prints. Never clogged once. I can leave it totally unused for months if I have to and it’s always ready. It also prints bidirectional extremely well. What I’ve saved in ink compared to any of my Epsons made my head replacements a total non factor. I feel the only thing that would kill this machine is a power surge from a lightening storm so I’m very careful to unplug during any storms. If I go out of town it is unplugged, otherwise plugged in to monitor the nozzles. The one thing besides avoiding power surges is to stop doing head cleanings if your head needs replacing. The most common problem is for people to over heat and blow the head board when the head is gone and needs replacing. If you get that error and two cleans don’t do it , stop immediately and put the new head in. Same heads as the 8400, etc.

The printer seems to be back to normal after replacing the right head and maintenance tank for about $425 (plus about 20% of my almost new ink carts).

Thanks for the response I. T. Supplies, it is definitely a crap shoot putting money into a printer this old. When my Epson 4900 stopped working it went into a death spiral (parts, ink, maint carts, more parts, more ink, etc, until we pulled the plug) and dragged my wallet with it.

Hopefully the 8300 will continue to produce beautiful prints for another year or two! Knocking on wood...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:04:14 pm by deanwork »

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:51:13 pm »

The inks and heads and other parts are the same as the 8400 and should be available for some time. These inks have better longevity than the new ones.

I love my 8300 so much. Mine was made in Japan and I think more reliable than later models that seem to come and go.  I have a studio full of 44 inch printers but it has been the most reliable printer I’ve ever owned, by far. Just replaced my right printhead again a month ago. That head lasted for three years for production work and an incredible number of prints. Never clogged once. I can leave it totally unused for months if I have to and it’s always ready. It also prints bidirectional extremely well. What I’ve saved in ink compared to any of my Epsons made my head replacements a total non factor. I feel the only thing that would kill this machine is a power surge from a lightening storm so I’m very careful to unplug during any storms. If I go out of town it is unplugged, otherwise plugged in to monitor the nozzles. The one thing besides avoiding power surges is to stop doing head cleanings if your head needs replacing. The most common problem is for people to over heat and blow the head board when the head is gone and needs replacing. If you get that error and two cleans don’t do it , stop immediately and put the new head in. Same heads as the 8400, etc.

That's the same message I got from a Canon printer tech 9-10 years ago on my several year old iPF5000's head failure. The total freedom from nozzle test prints and consistent print output have been a hallmark of the iPF's over the years. Don't know about their newest line, tho...

Pages: [1]   Go Up