Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: second body for safari  (Read 534 times)

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
second body for safari
« on: February 21, 2019, 02:30:26 pm »

I am planning a visit to South Africa and make a photo safari once there. At the moment my main camera is the Nikon D810, which I plan to take with me along with my 18-35 f3.5-4.5, 70-200 f4 and 200-500 f5.6. From what I read almost everywhere, it is advisable to take a second body with one for two main reasons: a possible failure of the main camera; to avoid changing lenses during the safari due to dust. I still have my old D300 with me, but I am not so sure if this would be a convenient choice today. So I am thinking about buying either a D7500 or a D500 (D850 is out of my budget). We all know about the main differences: body quality, frames per second and AF module. But as the D7500 seems also a very good camera and as technology evolves day after day, one wonders if it is worth to spend more money today just to get the top DX camera for wildlife in Africa (I guess that for sports both better AF and more frames per second are something quite more necessary). Does anybody had experience with the D7500 for wildlife?.

Agustin

stever

Re: second body for safari
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:45:18 pm »

my second body is a crop frame camera as 400 or 500 mm is sometimes not enough, particularly if you have an interest in birds.  don't know how well a teleconverter works with the Nikon 200-500, you should probably test this to see if it has adequate resolution for you at the long end.  it may be nice to have very high frame rate but i've found 5-6fps adequate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up