Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson V800 and V850 terrible quality film holder problems  (Read 8047 times)

Joe S

Epson V800 and V850 terrible quality film holder problems
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:25:45 am »

I have generally been a fan of Epson scanners for what they are.   I just "upgraded" from my old 4870 to a new v800.   When I purchased the 4870  many years ago, I felt that it outperformed my expectations. 

I recall reading that the v800 and v850 had some issues regarding the medium format and 4x5 film holders fitting the film.   Surely after 5 years or more I assumed this had all been rectified and made my purchase.    After all what could be easier than fitting 120 and 4x5 film to holders?    Well, here I am with my new scanner and film holders that don't hold 120 or 4x5 film.  My precision calipers indicated that the holders are 10 to 15 thousandths smaller than my Tmax 100 film.   Is it really possible that Epson has been unable to make film holders fit film after 5 years of trying?

I have visited the web page which shows how to cut off the tabs that hold the anr glass (plastic?) so it works and can't believe that should be necessary.  I am hoping that someone can show me the errors of my ways and get my new scanner working. 

Any experiences and feedback is appreciated.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
Re: Epson V800 and V850 terrible quality film holder problems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:34:59 am »

I can't comment on the 4x5 holders but at the risk of stating the obvious... you do realise that you have to slide the 120 film under the 'tabs'? No problems with scanning 6x7 transparencies with the V850 holders (once I realised that the 'tabs' had the space underneath to hold the film).

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:21:35 pm »

There are no tabs to slide the film under.    The wedges/tabs are there to secure the "glass" and there is no room under them.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:33:04 pm »

That's right. You are not supposed to load the film under the tabs. You are supposed to rest the film on top of those tabs and close the cover over the film. It is designed that way intentionally to prevent Newton rings. This is not a design error.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:03:45 pm »

Thanks, Mark, that's a big help. 

It's a bit of a confusing setup as the above comments from Phila prove.  It is certainly different than previous Epson holders but seems to work OK the way you describe, once you try it.  I  would never have thought that bending up the edges of the film to ride on the side bevels was the intended method.   I wonder how many different approaches are being used out there!   Here is an interesting discussion I ran into.

http://www.stockholmviews.com/epson_v850/

http://www.stockholmviews.com/epson_v850/

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:22:33 pm »

Assuming you have the feet set correctly, did your scan come out sharp using it the intended way?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:13:34 pm »

I haven't had a chance to dial in the feet heights.   Using the default height the scans looked pretty good, similar to the 4870 on quick examination but scanning is quite a bit faster especially warmup.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 11:50:11 pm »

I just got my V850.  The problem is hat my film is 6x7 and the three shot cuts don't fit in the medium format folder.  Since they're longer they extend out to two little tabs toward the end that gets closed.  So when you close it it squishes the film and ruins it.  I realize I can cut the film into two shots.  But that will leave me a single shot also, ver impractical.  Plus how do you deal with a four slot plastic film holder where you cut and store 3+3+2+2 for the ten shots? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 12:17:43 am »

Ok, I figured out I have to trim the length down.  But the opening still doesn;t allow three 6x7's o be scanned at one time.  You have to flip the film aroudc to get the third shot on a second scan.  Who at Epson designed that?  My V600 scanned all three in one pass. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up