Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uprezzing?  (Read 1271 times)

Two23

Uprezzing?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:26:25 pm »

After shooting thousands of shots at the ice races for the past month, the inevitable happened.  I got one nice shot that everyone wants a copy of!  It made a great looking 16x20 too.  Now for the bad news.  Some customers want it even bigger; it was shot with a Nikon D500 (20mp) and then cropped from there.  It's 3500x2700 at 300 dpi jpeg.  So, can I uprez this in CC and make it look good?  How much bigger is it likely to go?

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Uprezzing?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:47:08 pm »

It's 3500x2700 at 300 dpi jpeg.  So, can I uprez this in CC and make it look good?  How much bigger is it likely to go?
You only need 180-200PPI of image data. At 180PPI, you're damn close. Output sharpening will play a major role in the final quality, as of course will the actual printer, but with a decent inkjet, at 180, you're probably good to go.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:40:48 am »

Great shot!
You could try also the new Topaz AI Gigapixel for uprezzing.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:55:38 am »

Great shot!
You could try also the new Topaz AI Gigapixel for uprezzing.

Indeed, great shot. I can understand that it's liked so much. Lots of dynamics, a lot of things happening that capture the attention of the viewer. Printing it large will add to the impact it makes.

I also agree with the suggestion of using Topaz AI Gigapixel. Looking at the subject matter, it would not surprise me if that would allow much larger output that can stand close scrutiny. An alternative workflow is to increase the linear dimensions 6x, after which you can downsample to the printer's native resolution, or even your current maximum size, with added detail as a bonus (it can potentially improve the current quality).

I posted some example crops here:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127505.msg1096550#msg1096550

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Word has it that a major update for Gigapixel is in the works. Don't know if it is focused on the User interface or the output quality, but I won't object either way. Besides, updates and even future upgrades are free for current owners of a license, as is customary with Topaz Products (it's part of their business model).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:30:36 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 03:13:05 pm »

I agree. These days Topaz AI Gigapixel is the new king for upressing photos. There are several posts already regarding that with images so you can see what you get. Best of all, they have a 30-day trial.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:33:47 pm »

The $64K question is, is there any reason to resize (resample; make up data) considering the OP's file is so close to an output resolution that most ink jet printers (IF that's the output) require?
We need more info: what's the output device. Is the OP going to be handling the printing and ideal output sharpening BASED on the document's pixel resolution? If one resamples, to what additional pixel resolution?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Two23

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 04:28:32 pm »

The $64K question is, is there any reason to resize (resample; make up data) considering the OP's file is so close to an output resolution that most ink jet printers (IF that's the output) require?
We need more info: what's the output device. Is the OP going to be handling the printing and ideal output sharpening BASED on the document's pixel resolution? If one resamples, to what additional pixel resolution?

Have been uploading the files to local Walmart, which has a large Epson printer.  I also have a small local camera store/printer in town that does a pretty good job.  At least one customer is talking 20x30 inch.  With my D800E that's not a problem, but with the D500 and some cropping I'm thinking the file needs help.  I've just downloaded Gigapixel and am looking for the "how to" tonight.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up