Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canyon de Chelly: recent guide experiences  (Read 1143 times)

bruceinalaska

Canyon de Chelly: recent guide experiences
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »

I'm going to Canyon de Chelly at the end of March and would like to do photography along the floor of the canyon.  The most recent thread in LL concerning guides there was in 2014, making it a bit out of date.

I'd appreciate any insights concerning guides, especially if it's from the last year or so.

Thanks!
Bruce

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
Re: Canyon de Chelly: recent guide experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 11:09:51 pm »

It kind of doesn't matter, because the canyon is not wide and you basically just drive up it. You can pretty much take it all in by just turning your head from side to side. Tell the guide that you are a photographer and will want to stop when you see something you want to photograph. When you see something, ask to stop. FYI, it's a long drive all the way up the canyon and back. We didn't make it all the way up the canyon because we kept stopping. I think we had a four hour tour. More would be too long for me; it's bumpy and hard on the back. My favorite thing to photograph was Spider Rock, at the end, which we didn't make it to. IMO it's better photographed from above anyway. Late afternoon is good light in April (when we went). As you have probably figured out, you can drive alone both sides of the canyon from above and photograph at your own pace. I advise doing this the day before you drive up the canyon. And do both sides.

My take of Spider Rock, from above: Spider Rock
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:15:13 pm by tonysiciliano1 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:50:53 am »

... My take of Spider Rock, from above: Spider Rock

That’s a nice one, Tony.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:10:52 am »

Good light on Spider Rock, Tony! Even from the rim, CdC/CdM is beyond compare!

My several trips to CdC are way out of date regarding guides, but weather it was a several-vehicle group, a couple of 4x4s or my last with just my 4x4, it was a matter of checking in at the HQ to find out the latest conditions, rates and procedures for getting your guide.

Both CdC and CdM are spectacular with the cultural resources, rock art and landscapes!

Each time, we warned the guides we were photographers and not going on a 3-hour tour and probably staying until dark. One trip more than 20 years ago with my group of photographers and multiple 4x4s was particularly memorable since it was July 4 and we were stuck in CdM overnight due to the flash flooding that filled the canyon late in the afternoon and kept flowing for hours into the night and leaving us stranded by Standing Cow. Our guide was on her first trip thinking she'd be home in the early afternoon and was totally surprised so say the least. She handled the situation great, we all were grateful for her making the best of the situation and the Park Service was relieved to find out we were all OK... We finally extracted ourselves about noon the next day between shoveling ramps down the new cut banks and winching through the quick sand.

Though most of the guides seem to be self-sufficient, bring plenty of extra food and water and if it's a long day's journey add a nice tip and offer to take 'em out for a meal at least, though they may simply want to get home to be with their families.

In those many trips there, it's always been both spiritual and visually/photographically rich experience worth doing more than once!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

bruceinalaska

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:30:34 am »

Thank you, Tony and Larry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up