Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally, Pain Free!!! Updated 3/22/19  (Read 1384 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Finally, Pain Free!!! Updated 3/22/19
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:19:34 am »

Hi all,

I just had to let you guys know about a wonderful thing that happened two days ago. After being miserable for the last several years with very bad lower back pain, I am now pain free!!! That's right, PAIN FREE, just like a switch was flipped. For the last few years my lower back has been giving more and more pain. From a combination of arthritis and stenosis, I've been unable to stand for more than a couple of minutes. This of course means no walking around etc.

Thankfully there was only pain when standing, in other words when the "weight was on the wheels" but this has left me unable to do much around the house or to really go anywhere. I used to look forward each year to PPE in NYC but that was out for me. I've been taking the usual prescription painkillers but as you build up a tolerance that becomes less and less effective. It had gotten to where I was on 5 pills daily but still couldn't stand for more than a few minutes. The usual steroid cocktail injections and nerve ablations were not of any help either. My pain Dr. suggested a trial of the BURSTDR spinal stimulator. This is something along the lines of the TENS system but in this case electrodes are implanted directly in your back and connected to a small pack worn outside the body. This is done under general anesthesia, when you're awake a tech will calibrate and setup the pulses etc. that the unit delivers. When it's set right you do not feel any tingling or unpleasant effects. There is a bit of discomfort where the incisions are made for the leads to be inserted but this is minor. After a 10 day trial period the unit is removed and then it is implanted like a pacemaker. The battery will need to be replaced every 5-7 years. There is an iPod that goes along with this to be used a an on off switch for the device and to change the stimulation patterns or strengths, if needed. Guys, I don't want anyone to think i'm just shilling for the company here, for me, this is a Godsend and I'm sharing this in the hope that others may benefit from my experience.

I was concerned that a post of this type might not be appropriate so I ran it by Josh before posting. If anyone wants to discuss further you can PM me and we can take it off forum.

Thanks so much for reading this.

UPDATE:

This past Monday the trial device was removed and I am scheduled to go for the permanent, implanted, unit on March 15th. As soon as the device was turned off prior to removing the leads I could feel the pain returning. It appears that recent advanced in battery tech have negated the need to recharge the unit and instead a battery with an approx. life of 6 years will be used. As before, if anyone has questions feel free to PM me.

Final Update:

Well gang it was permanently installed on 3/15 and I just had the staples removed today. In my case there were 21 surgical staples used on 2 incisions. One incision was to place the leads in my spinal area and the other was to make a pocket for holding the device and its attendant battery. The implant procedure was carried out in an outpatient surgical center and  I was out for it.

As expected, there was some pain in the incision areas but that was handled by some prescription meds and was mostly gone after about 3 days or so. They spent some time afterwards getting the device programming set and I now have an iPod to control or adjust the functions if necessary. As with the temp one, this has removed about 80-85% of the pain I was felling in the lower back area. It's now up to me to get myself into some kind of shape as, due to the pain I've been experiencing over the last years, my walking has been very, very, limited and I need to build my legs as well as my breathing back up.

I do have a picture of the incisions taken just prior to the staples being removed. If anyone cares to see it please PM me. As before, you may also PM me with any questions.

That's it guys!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:31:50 pm by Kevin Gallagher »
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Finally, Pain Free!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:11:07 am »

Kevin,

I understand totally where your coming  from. I was in a horrific auto accident years ago, and as time goes on, things have gotten worse. Your link BURSTDR, where does that go? I can't seem to find a link to anything your writing about. Help!

Peter

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:51:07 am »

The link has been corrected to bring you to the right place. Sorry about that guys!! Peter, I also PM'ed you
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Patricia Sheley

A common woman~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:42:33 am »

I'm pleased to hear that, Kevin. Many of my clients have chronic pain and I am often able to get damages for them to buy devices such as the one you mention. I seldom get much feedback after the conclusion of a case, though, so it's good to know that they can actually work.

Jeremy

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:35 am »

Hi Patricia, thanks fo that link!

Jeremy, this thing is just amazing. As I said, I've had the steroid injections, tried the RF ablation, enriched platelets injections, with no help. I even tried one of the consumer TENS units and it did nothing. For me, this will let me get back into the field again with my gear and start doing some photo shooting again!!

Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Two23

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:49 am »

Happy to hear of this fortunate turn of events for you. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:59:22 am »

Great news, buddy!

I am glad you were able to stand with me for like an hour in that photo store two years ago, before we sat for a drink.

I never realized how painful it must be when someone can’t stand (with) me  ;)

stamper

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:59:35 am »

As a sciatica sufferer I feel your pain. Congrats.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:37 pm »

Let's hope that you get back to a full life quickly; good to hear of people having positive outcomes to problems!

Rob

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:43:11 pm »

Guys, thanks again for all your kind comments!! That was one of the good days Slo, you probably didn't see me leaning on the counter or the displays to take some of the weight off the wheels :)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »

... That was one of the good days Slo, you probably didn't see me leaning on the counter or the displays to take some of the weight off the wheels :)

Hey, I was leaning too ;)

P.S. Come to think of it, have you considered the impact of the weight of that Noctilux 50/0.95 this picture was taken with? ;)

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 05:20:39 pm »

Ha, not to mention the .40 Cal. SIG on my hip!!
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 07:56:37 pm »

That's good news, Kevin. Hang in there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 10:53:24 pm »

As a sciatica sufferer I feel your pain. Congrats.

Years ago in my late 30s, I did some sciatic damage to myself. Four acupuncture sessions relieved about 90% of the discomfort, after a few months of steady nagging pain. The remaining 10% cleared up gradually over the following 2 years. They used electrical stimulation via the needles. Aside from the fact that it helped, it was a little kinky too.  ;)
--
Robert

francois

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 03:25:25 am »

Excellent news. Getting rid of chronic pain is a huge victory. Often we feel like there's no escape and it ruins our life.
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:30 am »

Excellent news. Getting rid of chronic pain is a huge victory. Often we feel like there's no escape and it ruins our life.

Not to belittle anyone, but I think that women can hack this better than can men.

I base that view on my wife and also her mother.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:29 am »

Not to belittle anyone, but I think that women can hack this better than can men.

I base that view on my wife and also her mother.

Rob

Then why do they always complain about a headache???
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:20 am »

Then why do they always complain about a headache???

I never found that to be true.

Of course, as with everything, YMMV.

;-)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 11:28:06 am »

Congratulations! I hope it continues to work for you. Chronic pain is so debilitating.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up