Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro 1000 Color Management Investigation  (Read 7702 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Pro 1000 Color Management Investigation
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2019, 12:05:21 pm »

Thanks Mark.
I asked because there are so many choices in the Canon driver. If someone wants to build a custom media type for a PK or MK paper it is difficult to choose where to start from. And the choices of the major paper brands (Hahnemuhle, Canson) are confusing. For the same paper they choose for Pro-1000 different media type than the Pro-4000. I guess extensive experimentation is needed.

Canon designed the Pro-4000 driver to work somewhat differently than the Pro-1000 driver - primarily to speed up the head travel because of the much larger paper width. This in turn required other adjustments that motivated them to create different profiles for the two printer models, and from my own testing back in the days when I reviewed the Pro-2000, it makes a difference. You can narrow your options by using the Media Types they recommend for the particular driver you are using. I think you know this already, but the key thing is to make sure that the Media Type you use for printing your profiling targets should be the same Media Type that you will use for making your prints with the profile so created. As long as the Media Type between profiling and printing is matched, whether you use one Media Type or another within the same family of papers is less consequential to the usefulness of the results. That said, a bit of experimenting can be helpful; but I don't think you need to take it too far.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Pro 1000 Color Management Investigation
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »

Canon designed the Pro-4000 driver to work somewhat differently than the Pro-1000 driver - primarily to speed up the head travel because of the much larger paper width. This in turn required other adjustments that motivated them to create different profiles for the two printer models, and from my own testing back in the days when I reviewed the Pro-2000, it makes a difference. You can narrow your options by using the Media Types they recommend for the particular driver you are using. I think you know this already, but the key thing is to make sure that the Media Type you use for printing your profiling targets should be the same Media Type that you will use for making your prints with the profile so created. As long as the Media Type between profiling and printing is matched, whether you use one Media Type or another within the same family of papers is less consequential to the usefulness of the results. That said, a bit of experimenting can be helpful; but I don't think you need to take it too far.

It make sense. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up