Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 8.2 with quicker image import  (Read 9299 times)

mbaginy

LR 8.2 with quicker image import
« on: February 14, 2019, 10:49:49 am »

I’ve updated LR to the current 8.2 and noticed that importing images along with creating previews is noticeably quicker.  LR even recognized the SD card and switched to import, normally it doesn’t when the SD card comes from my X-Pro1 (only from my X100T and 5D models).  But LR 8.2 still doesn't eject the SD card after import (only does that with my other cameras).

Anyone else notice a snappier import?

Now if only LR lens corrections could recognize the X-Pro1 and lens, I’d be even more thrilled.  Sadly, it doesn’t and when I manually choose Fujifilm as the camera, it offers only the X100.  I've tried a great deal, but can't see where I've done something wrong.  Maybe someone has found a proper solution for this camera & lens recognition oddity?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:09:55 am by Mike D. B. »

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: LR 8.2 with quicker image import
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:07:56 pm »

Now if only LR lens corrections could recognize the X-Pro1 and lens, I’d be even more thrilled.  Sadly, it doesn’t and when I manually choose Fujifilm as the camera, it offers only the X100.  I've tried a great deal, but can't see where I've done something wrong.  Maybe someone has found a proper solution for this camera & lens recognition oddity?
In general both lightroom and Capture One use Fuji's lens profiles that are embedded in the .RAF metadata for lens correction.  It happens that today Capture One has been updated to cover the new X-T30 and at the same time they have released Capture One generated lens profiles for

FUJINON XF14mm F2.8 R

FUJINON XF16mm F1.4 R WR

FUJINON XF18mm F2 R

FUJINON XF23mm F2 R WR

FUJINON XF27mm F2.8

FUJINON XF35mm F1.4 R

FUJINON XF35mm F2 R WR

FUJINON XF50mm F2 R WR

FUJINON XF56mm F1.2 R

FUJINON XF60mm F2.4 R Macro

FUJINON XF90mm F2 R LM WR

Though not on Fuji's list in the release note the 23mm f/1.4 now has a Capture One Profile.
However existing files are still defaulting to manufacturers profile and you have to select the Capture One profile manually.  The new profiles are applied automatically to newly imported files.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:52:59 pm by Dave Rosser »

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:40:31 pm »

That's interesting, Dave.  I've been using LR since it was first introduced.  Since all of my images are processed using LR, a switch to Capture One or any other software isn't an option.

But what I take from your message is that Fujifilm haven't embedded any lens (and camera?) correction profile for my lenses (18/2 and 35/1.4) or the X-Pro1.  Three X100 versions (S, T and F) show as a manually chosen option when I select Fujifilm as camera manufacturer.  I'd think that Fujifilm's first camera with X-trans sensor would surely be available (in LR) since more recent models are listed.  Odd.

I guess I'll (have to) stick with my method of manually selecting Fujifilm camera and LR offering/applying X100 corrections.  I'm not unhappy with the results, but it's fudging a bit.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:41:48 am »

Fuji has embedded lens profiles since the X-Pro1 and for all the lenses. When I used the stand alone LR they were automatically applied. Other software uses them as well. I do not know about X100 but the interchangeable lens series has always had embedded profiles. C1 chose to add their own as well it looks like.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:21:11 am »

Fuji has embedded lens profiles since the X-Pro1 and for all the lenses. When I used the stand alone LR they were automatically applied.
Either I'm doing something wrong or the subscription model of LR no longer uses / recognizes these profiles.  I can't recall work LR6 handled X-Pro1 files in my pre-subscription days.  Strange.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:59:33 am »

In Develop, try zooming in so you see the "Loading" message. Does the "built in profile applied" appear? I think this may be different from before.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 02:20:24 pm »

In Develop, try zooming in so you see the "Loading" message. Does the "built in profile applied" appear? I think this may be different from before.
I'm sorry, John, but I don't understand what you mean with loading message.  The attached screen shot shows the available Fujifilm camera (plus lens) profiles available after I activate Enable Profile Corrections and then choose Fujifilm.  Odd, that no further Fujifilm models are listed - there are many more and newer cameras.

Metadata shows the proper camera and lens, so LR "knows" what I had been shooting with.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 02:35:43 pm »

Just go into Develop, zoom in, and see if the  "built in profile applied" message. Forget about the "Loading" - it's only LR telling you what it's doing.

You should see something like this.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:21:06 am »

John, None is shown under lens profile.  I can't find an option to select built in and choosing Fujifilm doesn't help (see my previous messages above).

Unfortunately I can't recall if previous versions (mainly non-subscription) of LR functioned differently.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 02:46:28 am »

And that was even after you zoomed in to 1:1 in Develop?

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 05:20:30 am »

Yes, John, I zoomed to 1:1.
Why would zooming to 1:1 make a difference?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 06:25:06 am »

Not that I know much about Fuji but I noticed that John's screenshot shows the SETUP as Auto while yours is on Custom Mike.  Did you change that?

mbaginy

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 07:57:35 am »

Good point, Mike.  I tried all three settings: Auto, Custom, Default, but without success.

For the life of me, I can't get LR to recognize the X-Pro1.  It seems that LR doesn't recognize the camera in develop module - it does whoever, properly note camera and lens in the metadata.  So I understand that LR is simply ignorant of any X-Pro1 profiles.

Early December I had the problem that LR recognized my X100T files as shot with either a 19mm or 33mm lens.  (metadata and in develop module)  But the camera has a 23mm fixed lens.  Optional lens converters are available to create those two alternative focal lengths, but I don't own them.  I had to perform a factory reset of the camera to get things back on track.  Computers!  Strange things happen every now and then.

mbaginy

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 01:32:00 pm »

I just checked some images taken with my former Fujifilm X-T1.  The Built-In profile was used for lens corrections.

It would seem then, that the X-Pro1 either has no lens profile (built in) which it can communicate to LR or LR can't read the profile.  Odd, but that's my only conclusion which makes at least a little sense.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 01:39:26 pm »

The X-Pro 1 is the original (or early) X series body right?  (2012 I think).  I wonder if they didn't have the protocol built in then.  Do you have the latest camera body firmware?  Maybe they updated it?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 01:58:54 pm »

I found this oldish thread on Adobe.  I gather that the 35mm 1.4 might only send the "Opcode" at F2 or wider.  Seems odd but maybe worth testing
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/fuji-35mm-built-in-lens-profile-not-recognized-lr-2015-7

" .....  I made further tests. It seems that the built-in profile is generated only for apertures of f/2.0 and wider. .... "

mbaginy

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 03:20:40 am »

I found this oldish thread on Adobe.  I gather that the 35mm 1.4 might only send the "Opcode" at F2 or wider.  Seems odd but maybe worth testing
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/fuji-35mm-built-in-lens-profile-not-recognized-lr-2015-7

" .....  I made further tests. It seems that the built-in profile is generated only for apertures of f/2.0 and wider. .... "
Mike, thanks a million for spending time searching the web.  I couldn't find any worthwhile information when I searched.

I'd updated available Fujifilm software some months ago, so this should all be current.  Since reading your reply I performed a brief "test", shooting wide open with the 35mm lens.  Images with apertures from 1.4 to 2.0 are recognized by LR and are adjusted using a built-in profile.  Stopping down further and LR operates as I explained earlier.

I'd like to have attended the design meeting at Fujifilm when that topic was tabled.  Sounds screwy to not improve such behavior.  I haven't a clue designing cameras, so I can only surmise there was a good reason for incorporating that "feature".  I wish lenses were corrected optically instead of relying (so greatly) on software corrections during image processing, but maybe that would be too expensive today.

So that thread in the Adobe forum seems to have clarified the situation, at least sufficiently for me.  Thanks guys, for your aid!

mbaginy

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 04:36:50 am »

A brief addition to my previous notes: my second lens, the 18/2, is recognized by LR and offers lens corrections for all apertures.

I viewed photos taken with the 35/1.4 lens mounted on my (former) X-T1.  Mounted on that body, LR is able to use built in profiles for apertures stopped down further than f2.0, so it seems to me that this LR inability is a function of camera body plus lens.  It seems to be a deficiency of the X-Pro1 body combined with the 35/1.4 lens.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:45:00 am by Mike D. B. »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 09:20:36 am »

So far as I understand Fuji have been pretty good at offering F/W upgrades.  It may be too late now as the body is pretty old (by today's metrics) but I wonder if you could petition them to fix this with F/W, citing the ability of other bodies.

mbaginy

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 11:54:33 am »

Hm, that's a thought.  Won't hurt to inquire.  Their (German) office isn't too far from where I live so I could even hand carry the camera to them.  I'll check and see what they suggest.

Yes, the X-Pro1 was their first camera with the X-Trans sensor.  While the autofocus isn't fast and I was never thrilled with Fujifilm auto whitebalance (Canon being noticeably superior), I do enjoy using the X-Pro1 and Fujifilm's excellent lenses.  Best of all though: I love using a proper aperture ring!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up