Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NIkon Canon Sony  (Read 5054 times)

dseelig

NIkon Canon Sony
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:31 pm »

So today I had the Canon R and Nikon Z7 in my hands. I could not stand the Nikon it has a viewfinder lag from hell. If you shoot people well it for me is a joke. Size wise like my sonys it is just to small with my pinky having no place to go. The Canon R was the best of the three that way but it has a Canon lack of dynamic range sensor. The af is not as good as Sony. So Sony is still it as the af is the best of the three.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: NIkon Canon Sony
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:01 am »

So today I had the Canon R and Nikon Z7 in my hands. I could not stand the Nikon it has a viewfinder lag from hell. If you shoot people well it for me is a joke. Size wise like my sonys it is just to small with my pinky having no place to go. The Canon R was the best of the three that way but it has a Canon lack of dynamic range sensor. The af is not as good as Sony. So Sony is still it as the af is the best of the three.

Really?

I have been using successfully a Z7 for months and never noticed nor was impacted by the lag you are talking about.

Don't know how I managed to capture such images where timing was kind of... critical.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:56:47 am »

I also never noticed any lag when I played with the Z6. Actually I’m a little jealous of the Nikon viewfinder. Not enough to change my entire Sony system for but it really is very good.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

DP

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:00 pm »

Don't know how I managed
As you know even broken clock shows the proper time twice a day... that's about posting a single picture as a proof of something

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:58:22 pm »

As you know even broken clock shows the proper time twice a day... that's about posting a single picture as a proof of something

This was a very specific attempt to freeze the motion of this kid in a given time frame and I managed to succeed doing so.

This would not have been possible had the camera been impacted by the kind of horrible lag reported by the OP.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:08 pm »

There is enough people reporting a viewfinder lag that i’m sure it’s there...maybe it does not affect the way some people shoot and it’s there for others.

As far as precisely timing that shot...it’s luck. Human reaction time from eye to brain to finger to shutter lag dictates this. That’s why sports are rattled off at a high sequence.

I believe I read somewhere that our internal delay from seeing something and then actually pressing the shutter is somewhere between 100 - 200 ms.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:00 am »

There is enough people reporting a viewfinder lag that i’m sure it’s there...maybe it does not affect the way some people shoot and it’s there for others.

As far as precisely timing that shot...it’s luck. Human reaction time from eye to brain to finger to shutter lag dictates this. That’s why sports are rattled off at a high sequence.

Who else is reporting this lag? This is the first time I hear people criticizing the EVF of the Z6/Z7 always reported on so far as being best in class.

Luck has nothing to do with it. His movement was circular and predictable.

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:45:57 am »

I believe I read somewhere that our internal delay from seeing something and then actually pressing the shutter is somewhere between 100 - 200 ms.

If not using the magnified view, e.g., for manual focusing, the EVF lag on Nikon Z cameras was measured as 25ms (https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/z7-magnified-lcd-lag/)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:49:12 am by SrMi »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 01:17:27 am »

If not using the magnified view, e.g., for manual focusing, the EVF lag on Nikon Z cameras was measured as 25ms (https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/z7-magnified-lcd-lag/)

There you go... 0.025s... while the typical reaction time of a human being is said to be around 331 ms or 0.331s.

The problem isn't the camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 02:56:31 am »

There you go... 0.025s... while the typical reaction time of a human being is said to be around 331 ms or 0.331s.

The problem isn't the camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Human reaction time has nothing to do with it because an experienced photographer anticipates that difference. You can't anticipate what you can't see real time though. This is extremely important when capturing expressions in portraits for example. You try to invoke a reaction with a short comment and then try to capture that exact moment of subconscious reaction between now and the conscious reaction.

There is very little more satisfying than a shutter that operates as an extension of the mind. Mirrorless has a way of detaching from reality. 
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 03:06:21 am »

Human reaction time has nothing to do with it because an experienced photographer anticipates that difference. You can't anticipate what you can't see real time though. This is extremely important when capturing expressions in portraits for example. You try to invoke a reaction with a short comment and then try to capture that exact moment of subconscious reaction between now and the conscious reaction.

There is very little more satisfying than a shutter that operates as an extension of the mind. Mirrorless has a way of detaching from reality.

The statement that mirrorless has a way of detaching from reality is entirely subjective. A photon bouncing off something and passing through a poor quality lens, turning into an electrical signal and then travelling to an organic image processor with lots of built in subjective filters is already pretty far removed from reality.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 03:16:27 am »

The statement that mirrorless has a way of detaching from reality is entirely subjective. A photon bouncing off something and passing through a poor quality lens, turning into an electrical signal and then travelling to an organic image processor with lots of built in subjective filters is already pretty far removed from reality.

Haha, of course, but the organic shutter release cable attached to that system is very intricately involved in the same subjective processes. You know the difference: a perfectly timed shot comes from your spine, where the heatresponse is located.
Regards,
~ O ~

JaapD

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 03:56:00 am »

The mentioned 25ms is even faster than slapping the mirror out of the way in many DSLRs. To me EVF vs mirror delay are more or less of the same, in order to actually start capturing the image. This Z7 looks incredibly fast to me, not worth the trouble making an issue out of it.

Regards,
Jaap.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:35 am »

Understood and agreed, but the point isn't whether EVF have more shutter lags than OVFs, of course they do.

The point is whether the Z6/Z7 have more shutter lag than other mirrorless cameras. And from the data we have it doesn't appear to be the case.

Cheers,
Bernard

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 05:55:11 am »

The point is whether the Z6/Z7 have more shutter lag than other mirrorless cameras. And from the data we have it doesn't appear to be the case.

Cheers,
Bernard

No, I certainly wouldn't want to suggest that. More important probably is batterylife and heat. Fuji had a boost mode which gave you a 60fps vf experience, but that would quickly drain the battery and the camera would warm up significantly.

Regards,
~ O ~

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 06:32:47 am »

I have yet to detect a significant lag so I'm not sure what the OP thought he saw as I have doubts the other 2 are better on this front.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 07:55:35 am »

I have yet to detect a significant lag so I'm not sure what the OP thought he saw as I have doubts the other 2 are better on this front.

Automatic image review turned on?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:48 am »

Automatic image review turned on?

Not for me, I have it off on all my cameras.
Maybe he tried the magnified view? I used it little and can't recall issues with it right now.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:44 am »

.... I could not stand the Nikon it has a viewfinder lag from hell. ....
so even Hell has a Viewfinder lag ;) great review ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:54 am »

I’m sure there is some mode in which the Nikon has more viewfinder lag than one would like. These are complicated machines. YouTube is lousy with vloggers who mistook bad camera setup for bad camera performance. Picking one up in a camera store, who knows how the camera was set up?
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up