Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 8.2  (Read 12318 times)

Rand47

Re: Lightroom 8.2
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:28 am »

Why on earth are there people still using Windows!?

I lived my professional life in the business world where 99.9% of the systems were (and still are) Windows and networked PC based.  I cut my teeth on DOS 1.0 and single floppy disk systems!  LOL

I’ve wondered the same thing about why people would pay twice the price for the same computing power in an essentially handcuffed system as regards user upgrades to the system.  Especially since my primary photo tools are identical on either platform.  This is especially my sense with the beer keg Mac that is elegant looking for sure (until you connect something to it - then it looks like a cat that has been disembowled).  And where laptops are concerned, my brand new Dell XPS 15 has equal or better specs than the equivalent Mac Book for about 2/3 of the price. 

I know this is probably sample bias since most here appear to be Apple users, but for the most part, I see way more OS incompatibility issues on the Apple side than with Windows.  For instance, the broken color management issue a year or so ago that took a couple of months to resolve.  And I actually get a kick out of all the discussion of whether OS Chipmonk, is upgradable from OS Unicorn and whether OS Fairydust works with this or that peripheral.   :D

This issue w/ enhanced details is the first time in my use of a PC OS (going back to my original IBM PC) that my OS has been incompatible with an Adobe product update.

For the most part, I’m agnostic.  If someone wanted to give me a nice Mac Book I’d certainly use it and appreciate it.  I do just enough teaching and sharing re “things photographic” that I have to be at least a little conversant with both platforms.  I have and love iPhones and iPads and find that they integrate seamlessly with my PC’s vis synching email, contacts, calendars, etc.  All in all it’s a nice world we live in where personal computing is so darn powerful and convenient.

Rand
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:12:36 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 10:49:04 am »

No issues with October 2018.  That update has been delayed due to some issues when it was released which meant it was pulled for fixing.  When it was eventually re-released the rollout was slow on purpose just in case there were more issues.  You will eventually get it via Windows Update without forcing it.

Thank you for the insight.  And to Alan and Franco too. Much appreciated.  That’s one of the powerful things about the forums here - knowledgeable people, willing to share. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

rabanito

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 10:55:36 am »

Would somebody explain why would anybody use "Enhanced Details"?
Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the point.
I mean, what kind of problem does it solve?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:58:47 am by rabanito »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 11:06:31 am »

Rabanito, read reply #9 on page one.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:45 am »

Because it is the operating system used by the majority of the world, it works and a lot of people can't afford the Apple tax anyway.  Looking through posts here and elsewhere every upgrade of Mac operating system causes untold problems whereas upgrades of Windows do not in general cause previous working applications to stop working.  I installed v1809 a week ago and everything continued to work perfectly including Capture One, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:10 am »

Very simple.  I can build my own PC for about 1/2 the price of a comparable Apple product.  I do a lot of command line programming which is much easier on Windows. I don't have to buy into the Apple OS problems which seem to be common everything a new OS version is out.  I can easily upgrade my system when new hardware comes out. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:38 am »

Would somebody explain why would anybody use "Enhanced Details"?
Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the point.
I mean, what kind of problem does it solve?
Thanks
Superior rendering. Simple as that. Yeah, it can be very subtle but it's also visible. At least I see a difference in an enhancement of detail:

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 11:53:03 am »

Because it is the operating system used by the majority of the world, it works and a lot of people can't afford the Apple tax anyway.
Tax? That's about is absurd as suggesting a software subscription is software rental (or that people own, the do not, the software who's products are not subscription based).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 11:54:10 am »

Very simple.  I can build my own PC for about 1/2 the price of a comparable Apple product. 
And I can buy a 20 year old used car that's a lot less money than my new car. So what? They are not comparable; you can't run the same OS for one.
Now maybe we can get back on topic of LR. Or must we further digress as to what's 'better' (comparable), Nikon or Canon (Sony?), the Pacific Ocean or Atlantic?

Rand47

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 11:59:46 am »

Tax? That's about is absurd as suggesting a software subscription is software rental (or that people own, the do not, the software who's products are not subscription based).

Yup, “TAX” is just a pajoritive (unnecessarily) way to describe price/performance comparisons.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 12:05:01 pm »

Superior rendering. Simple as that. Yeah, it can be very subtle but it's also visible. At least I see a difference in an enhancement of detail:

Andrew,

Thanks... this is a very good example to illustrate a very visible difference. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

rabanito

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:42 pm »

Thanks. But even accepting that, I don't see  that, all other things being equal, this enhancement can help make a better image in the end.

As I said before, I don't see what problem it solves. I mean, if you send a rocket to the moon using Newton or using Einstein, the result is the same (well, almost)  :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 12:09:09 pm »

Andrew,

Thanks... this is a very good example to illustrate a very visible difference. 

Rand
Looks better without first being converted to a JPEG for upload.
It IS subtle and that's why there's a preview which for me is very speedy. To decide if it's worth converting and producing another iteration which is much larger than the original as it's now linear DNG data.
And as for issues, can't replicate on this end with CR2's or ARW's, original or subsequently converted to DNG on import. This is a 2016 MacBook Pro Retina. The issues may indeed be due to older hardware. It isn't OS or raw original as far as I can determine from my files and other's being traded on Adobe's forums.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 12:10:11 pm »

As I said before, I don't see what problem it solves.
Lesser resolution. Maybe that's not a problem for you. And you can decide by previewing prior to conversion. IF you see no useful difference, DON'T USE IT.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 12:11:44 pm »

One other note, back to the Microsoft October 1809 update.

This is for some reason seen as a different type of update, and doesn't seem to automatically get applied.  Also note, there was a October 2018 1803 update, which most people odds are did get applied.  The 1809 is a called by Microsoft a "feature update" to windows 10.  However IMO it's actually a totally new version of windows 10, thus the problem some people were having with their data being wiped on installation. 

I don't believe you can get this to show up via the normal windows update checker, I tried to find it on both of my win10 machines via auto update, both had the October 2018 1803 update but did not show the October 2018 1809. 

I was able to find it via a search on the Microsoft website, takes about 45 minutes to totally install. 

I did not lose any data, programs etc, but it did concern me as the the update installs as a new copy of windows 10 installs. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 12:21:58 pm »

One other note, back to the Microsoft October 1809 update.

This is for some reason seen as a different type of update, and doesn't seem to automatically get applied.  Also note, there was a October 2018 1803 update, which most people odds are did get applied.  The 1809 is a called by Microsoft a "feature update" to windows 10.  However IMO it's actually a totally new version of windows 10, thus the problem some people were having with their data being wiped on installation. 

I don't believe you can get this to show up via the normal windows update checker, I tried to find it on both of my win10 machines via auto update, both had the October 2018 1803 update but did not show the October 2018 1809. 

I was able to find it via a search on the Microsoft website, takes about 45 minutes to totally install. 

I did not lose any data, programs etc, but it did concern me as the the update installs as a new copy of windows 10 installs. 

Paul C

Same here, although I didn't know it was a new version of Win 10.  I got MS to install it for me on my desktop and may do it myself on my laptop.  The DE is not looking like something I'll use though, especially on my laptop which I only use in the field while away for a few days.

rabanito

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 12:25:52 pm »

Lesser resolution. Maybe that's not a problem for you. And you can decide by previewing prior to conversion. IF you see no useful difference, DON'T USE IT.

Of course.
But anyway I could be missing something. That's why I ask the experts.
If they  use it, they know surely why.

I don't dismiss anything before being convinced that it's not useful (to me). Not a good way to learn.  8)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:47 pm »

Of course.
But anyway I could be missing something. That's why I ask the experts.
If they  use it, they know surely why.
We and you will know why when you SEE a difference that is worth the extra larger document. That's again why there's a preview.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:39 pm »

... I don't see  that, all other things being equal, this enhancement can help make a better image in the end...

I am not sure what are you driving at? Better image in what sense? Esthetic? Or technical?

Technically, it could make some images better, some much better, and some may not benefit at all. If you do large images, especially with diagonals, than it might be quite helpful.

rabanito

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 12:51:47 pm »

I am not sure what are you driving at? Better image in what sense? Esthetic? Or technical?

Technically, it could make some images better, some much better, and some may not benefit at all. If you do large images, especially with diagonals, than it might be quite helpful.

I assume that it could be only technical. With "all other things being equal" I mean the difference of using the enhanced or the not enhanced file as starting point.

As you say and Ms Shoe also points out in her article there is plenty of implicit "could" and "might" do's.

Actually as I said in another response, I don't like to discard something just because I don't understand it.
That's why I ask. Not driving at anything in particular  :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up