Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 8.2  (Read 12316 times)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Lightroom 8.2
« on: February 12, 2019, 06:33:22 am »

Adobe released a few updates, including Lightroom 8.2 with a function to "Enhance Details", which I haven't tested yet, and a supposedly faster tethering for Nikon cameras.

Now, when I tried to tether a nikon camera (to a Windows 10 computer), I received an error message saying that the file CRClient.dll was not found by tether_nikon.exe (the new LR module for tethering Nikon). I tried reinstalling LR in 2 computers and the same result.
I then checked in the Lightroom folder inside program files and confirmed that the file CRClient.dll was there. I copied the file inside the tether.nikon_lrplugin folder and now it works.

Standard path for Lightroom in Windows 10:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Path for the nikon tethering plugin:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC\tether_nikon.lrplugin

In any case, tethering from Lightroom is still the least capable tool, compared to other tethering options such as capture 1 or ControlMyNikon

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Lightroom 8.2
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:46:32 am »

One comment about "Enhance Details", on Windows 10 it works only if you have the October 2018 update for Windows 10 (Version 1809)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:44:11 am »

One comment about "Enhance Details", on Windows 10 it works only if you have the October 2018 update for Windows 10 (Version 1809)
Interesting that Adobe is tying things to the newest Windows.  I was "forced" to update to Win 10 from 8.1 because 8.1 would not update past LR 7.5 because of some dll incompatibility.  Since the ISO I used was version 1809, I'm on the newest version.  Despite the fact that most Windows programs are backwards compatible to Win 7 (I still have a couple of PC running this), Adobe seems to be the outlier here.

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:29 am »

Interesting that Adobe is tying things to the newest Windows.  I was "forced" to update to Win 10 from 8.1 because 8.1 would not update past LR 7.5 because of some dll incompatibility.  Since the ISO I used was version 1809, I'm on the newest version.  Despite the fact that most Windows programs are backwards compatible to Win 7 (I still have a couple of PC running this), Adobe seems to be the outlier here.

I have some (limited) sympathy for Adobe on this. 

I've not written code for Windows recently, but I write Android apps and there's a similar problem.  Each new release of Android adds new features and new compatibility issues with the new Android release, and gradually obsoletes old releases. 

You get into a process involving steps like:
  • Check your app works with the new release, and if not debug it and if necessary make changes
  • See if any new features of the new release can add new functionality or performance to your app, and if so write the code for it.
  • Does the new code work on older releases of Windoes/Android/whatever?  If not, is there some compatiblity work-around?
Step 3 leads to the difficult problems.  If we've written code that takes advantage of the new version and it's not compatible with earlier OS releases then how seriously is this going to inconvenience users?  What's the trade-off between the new feature (new functions, better performance or whatever) and the irritation to users to upgrade their OS when they don't want to?

There are quite a number of new features in Windows 10 not in Windows 7.  For example the ability to handle high-DPI screens is much improved in W10.  Anyone with a high-DPI screen (with a screen scale factor set to >100%) will have seen the fuzzy text that results from apps not written to be fully dpi-aware (i.e not using features available only in Windows 10). 

Program writers don't want to be stuck with the lowest common deminator - only use features available on historic operating systems - so there will always be these awkward decision to make. 

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:12:06 am »

@Francisco:

I have installed LR8.2 on two systems (laptop and desktop) and tethering works fine (on my Nikon D800) without the issue you found.

However, I did have an installation issue on the desktop.  The upgrade failed with a slightly contradictory error message, and left the existing LR installation unusable.  It then wouldn't even try to upgrade and I had to remove LR (from the CC app) and reinstall, when it worked fine. 

I tried the Enhance Details option and couldn't see any improvement on a number of images.  Not really sure what to expect.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:25:58 am »

Interesting that Adobe is tying things to the newest Windows.

The new "enhance details" feature was developed using machine learning on a neural network.  According to Adobe, it requires library support that is only available in the latest revs of MSWindows and MacOS.

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:30 am »

The new "enhance details" feature was developed using machine learning on a neural network.  According to Adobe, it requires library support that is only available in the latest revs of MSWindows and MacOS.
Thanks for the link, which explains why it needs 1809. 

I tried on a couple of images with significant detail, but maybe not ones that benefit from better demosaicing.  I think I need to experiment more.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:06 am »

I couldn't see any difference either so I opened both enhanced and raw in PS, layered them and looked at the difference.  Totally black so I'm not sure what's happening.  I'll try it on other images, this one had sharp and OOF blurred sections.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:49 pm »

You will be able to identify some difference using that method, but the impact is often very subtle. Make sure that in PS you zoom in 1:1.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:02:05 pm »

My friend, business-school classmate, and a Lightroom instructor, Laura Shoe, has a deep-dive article and video tutorial on Enhanced Details on her site:

https://laurashoe.com/2019/02/12/enhance-raw-file-details-in-lightroom-classic-cc-and-lightroom-cc/?fbclid=IwAR2w0YBsNi0R7ymp2NqjtyMfBCuTCKfWXyhcV-I963QL59V8K6EEbbmaY0I

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:16:01 pm »

Good article thx for posting ...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »

Enhanced Detail will range for doing absolutely nothing visually to producing in best case (according to internal Adobe testing with Siemens Star resolution charts) 30% increase of resolution (NOT increase of pixels!). There is of course a before and after preview and the ideal zoom ratio to examine whether it's worthwhile converting the data to a linear DNG.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:05 pm »

On my new laptop the Enhance Detials works.  On my desktop, I get the error message re need latest Windows 10.

Problem is, I went to Windows update and updated Windows 10 to the the point where it tells me I’m “current” but it shows 1803.  Is there a way to prompt/force Windows update to take me to 1809?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 06:41:24 pm »

Is there a way to prompt/force Windows update to take me to 1809?

Rand

Try this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 06:42:26 pm »

@Francisco:

I have installed LR8.2 on two systems (laptop and desktop) and tethering works fine (on my Nikon D800) without the issue you found.

Thanks for the update, I don't know what happened in my case, but I had the issue in two different computers

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:25 pm »

Try this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Thank you.  Is there any potential down side to October 2018?  I find it strange that with the regular updates I've received/installed, that it isn't already October 2018.  There's something I'm not understanding here.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mlewis

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 04:16:29 am »

Thank you.  Is there any potential down side to October 2018?  I find it strange that with the regular updates I've received/installed, that it isn't already October 2018.  There's something I'm not understanding here.

Rand
No issues with October 2018.  That update has been delayed due to some issues when it was released which meant it was pulled for fixing.  When it was eventually re-released the rollout was slow on purpose just in case there were more issues.  You will eventually get it via Windows Update without forcing it.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:41 am »

Rand
A significant number of uses had their data drive wiped with the install of the October update.  This was one of the reasons MSFT pulled it.  If you have the Pro version of Win 10 you can delay the major system update as well as monthly quality updates for defined periods of time.  Perhaps your computer was configured to do just that.  A good friend of mine is a computer consultant and his recommendation is to delay the twice a year major update for 100 days and the monthly quality updates for 14 days.  Note that this has the potential to interfere with Adobe CC updates which could be based on the most current OS configuration.  A very good resource for system and monthly patches can be found at Ask Woody.  They do a lot of good work in assessing when updates are problem free.  Since I had to migrate to Win 10 to run the newest version of LR for my Nikon Z 6, I installed ver 1903 and it has not led to any problems.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

Why on earth are there people still using Windows!?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 10:22:52 am »

Why on earth are there people still using Windows!?

The majority of the time I'm a LR/PS/browser user and it doesn't really matter what OS I'm using
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up