Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which H system Hasselblad Lenses are best?  (Read 2804 times)

darkostoj

Which H system Hasselblad Lenses are best?
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:03 pm »

Hey all,

I bought a H5D-50c with almost all the lenses recently and I was wondering if I may get some input on which lenses excel at which things?

I'm coming from Sony where there is a lot of resources and information online compared to the Hasselblad.

It's a bit overwhelming having all this glass at once.

I'm a hobby guy, so it is going to take me an eternity to learn all this glass.

I have:

28mm
50mm I
80mm
100mm
120mm Macro II
150mm
210mm
35-90mm

Also have:
1.7 converter
Tilt shift adapter

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:56:29 am by darkostoj »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Which H system Hasselblad Lenses are best?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:23:03 pm »

Wow. That is some hobby kit.
Well what do you shoot?

I would say that if you have the 28 you don't need the 35.
If you have a zoom then you may not need the lenses covered by it.

The 1.7 converter and tilt shift adapter don't work with all lenses so that may have some bearing on the decision.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

darkostoj

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:13 pm »

As far as shooting goes:

1. I have a 3 light studio in my house. I have read the 120 macro is good for headshots, but have only used the 100 f/2.2 so far. At the studio i'm usually shooting f/16 or f/22. I usually like to have everything crisp in studio shots.

2. When I'm trying to get landscape shots I like to travel light.  I will put the body, 28mm lens, and 100mm lens packed away in my hiking bag with my tripod and panoramic head.   

I like to use the 28mm to get a bracketed photos.

Then I have been using the 100mm to do a landscape stitch. I like to have very high resolution landscape images for printing very large.

I would like to work on combining HDR, Stitching, and Roll Focusing together.  However, I have a ways to go until I get that good.

That's all I've really used so far.

Ghaag

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14:18 pm »

Hey all,

I bought a H5D-50c with almost all the lenses recently and I was wondering if I may get some input on which lenses excel at which things?

I'm coming from Sony where there is a lot of resources and information online compared to the Hasselblad.

I have:

28mm
35mm
50mm
80mm
100mm
120mm Macro II
150mm
210mm
35-90mm

Also have:
1.7 converter
Tilt shift adapter

Thanks!

I shoot with H6D-100c and the lenses below.

35mm - I use primarily for architectural and landscape
50mm - environmental portraits, macro and product work
80mm - shoot with this very on a limited basis, some portrait work
100mm - extensively with portraits, probably my favorite lens
150mm - most often with head shots or outdoor portraits
210mm - some landscape, outdoor portraits and situations where I need a longer focal length I will pair with the 1.7 converter

1.7 converter -limited use
Tilt shift adapter - I have this, but honestly I have not been that pleased with it.  Currently I either correct post or if I need Tilt Shift I will shoot with my Canon 5DSR and 24mm tilt shift.

hubell

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:12 pm »

Hey all,

I have:

28mm
35mm
50mm
80mm
100mm
120mm Macro II
150mm
210mm
35-90mm

Also have:
1.7 converter
Tilt shift adapter

Thanks!

Purely from the standpoint of optical excellence, the 50II and the 120 II Macro are considered the best of the H lenses.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:20 am »

Tilt shift adapter - I have this, but honestly I have not been that pleased with it.

What's the problem with it?

Ghaag

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:13:05 am »

Aram,
I love how it sets up, but the focus is a bit soft when I add it vs the same lens without it or vs my 5dsr with 24 tilt shift.  I have not figured out how to resolve this.
Thanks,
Greg

darkostoj

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:23 pm »

Is there a big difference between the 50mm I and 50mm II?

Ghaag

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:43:08 pm »

Is there a big difference between the 50mm I and 50mm II?

I cannot speak first hand on this, since I have the 50mm I and have not shot with the II, so maybe someone who has experience with both will give better feedback.  First, I have been very please with my 50mm I, but my impression is the 50mm II is a sharper lens over the entire image area and better if you plan on doing macro work.

Conner999

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:06:00 am »

From lenses we own:
------------------------
28mm - Bloody fantastic. Uber sharp, nice rendering and very close focus distance. The 24mm is supposedly as good or slightly better, but tough to find used.

35mm - Not owned, but rep is 'meh' (or worse). MTF looks sharp in centre, then....

50mm II - Incredible. Described by some as the Otus of the H line and I'd agree. Tough to find used. The 50 Mod I is reputably not the same beast by a long margin.  The macro converter was tailored in design for the 50 II.

80mm - Very nice. i find it far nicer than some make it out to be. Sharp, fast focusing, well worth the very modest $$ requested used.

100mm - Lots love it, I never really took to it. Very, very nice portrait lens due to rendering, etc., but oodles of CA if subject backlit until into mid f-stops. By say 5.6 very, very sharp across field. Has a reputation for some challenges locking exact focus. Ours was fine 80% of the time,  but I saw examples of what some complained about. Really have to experience it to see if shoots your shooting style/subjects. Sold ours.

120mm macro II - Incredible, a 120mm version of the 50 II (disclosure have one for sale). Uber sharp starting WO and goes from there. Much faster to focus than I expected from anecdotes, but MUST remember to set focus range on camera or lens will hunt until cows come home.   Close setting is good for most shooting. 

The focus range option under 'settings' on grip will appear when lens mounted and will be retained on power off/lens swap. No real CA and NICE bokeh.  The Mod I version is nice, but Mod II is notably sharper and does't have the CA of the Mod I. The Mod II is tough to find used.

210mm - Reputation only, but considered a very sharp, very nice lens that is a bit of an orphan due to FL and thus very nicely priced used. Not owned, bill be our next acquisition.

300mm - More well known than the 210, but considered very nice. Not owned and not one we'd use.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:11:25 am by Conner999 »

williamrohr2

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:26 pm »

After years of carrying too much gear, my backpack now has the 28, the 210 and the camera (an H4D50) is fitted with the 35-90 where ever I go.  With a small pack of neutral density and polarizing filters and extra batteries I seem to have everything I need.  I have another very small backpack with an old H3DII31 with the 300, the 1.7X and the 80 that I take along if I think I am likely to encounter large animals (horses) and large wildlife (large mammals, such as moose).  Why the H3DII31?  Because the smaller sensor has a magnification factor (1.3) and micro-lenses (one stop faster) and when combined with the 1.7 and the 300mm is actually a reasonable large animal rig that produces pictures that have sold again and again.  No, it is not a replacement for my Canon 1DxII with 600mm for birds but I have yet to find a time when I was doing landscape shooting and wished I had the Canon (but have gone back to the car for the H3D for the large mammals that appeared).  I find it difficult to get rid of the H3DII because it has no market value and yet is a perfect pairing with the 300 (and mine must have travelled over 500,000 miles and "keeps on ticking"). Having figured out the above combination I sold the rest of the H lenses.  I did recently buy a Fuji GFX50R and 250 with tele converter because Hasselblad gave notice they will no longer service the H3DII series and I need to be prepared for when my dies (and by the way the Fuji GFX has a Fuji adapter for H lenses ... which they apparently originally designed but you lose the autofocus ... which is why I bought the 250).

P.S.  Yes the autofocus on the H3D is relatively slow ... but if the large mammals are running fast enough that it can't keep up .... you need to stop taking pictures and start running yourself  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:17:41 pm by williamrohr2 »

Joe Towner

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:19:28 pm »

This should be moved to the correct board: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?board=16.0

There is no comparison to the 35-90 for walk around use. Generally F/8 to F/11 is the normal DoF range to work.
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up