Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many sets of Adobe Camera Raw profiles?  (Read 918 times)

rasworth

How many sets of Adobe Camera Raw profiles?
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »

My W10 system has on it the latest versions of Bridge, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Lightroom CC Classic, and the DNG converter.  And at one time even Elements.  I can only find one set of Adobe camera raw profiles, located under Program Data - I seem to remember in the past we had multiple sets installed.  Am I misremembering, or is only with later versions that Adobe has narrowed it down to one grouping per pc/mac?

Richard Southworth

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: How many sets of Adobe Camera Raw profiles?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:54:40 pm »

At least on my Mac, there's one 'set', no duplicates of the same camera profiles. The reside in differing areas. One folder is called "Adobe Standard" and has a large number of profiles for many cameras (most I don't own). There's one called "Camera" that has another set from differing cameras, these appear to be the 'camera matching" profiles. Then there's a folder called "Color Profiles" that contain custom camera profiles I've built.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rasworth

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »

Same for my pc - wrestling with my (faulty) memory, it seems to me in the past there were multiple sets of Adobe Standard and/or Camera, maybe one set aligned with ACR/Lightroom, and another with DNG Converter.  Not particularly important, just curious.

Richard Southworth

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:03:44 pm »

My Windows 10 system has 2 copies. One for Lightroom, one for ACR. Always been that way as I remember. Examples:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC\Resources\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard\Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Adobe Standard.dcp

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard\Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Adobe Standard.dcp

rasworth

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:01 pm »

Same here, thanks for looking.  I wonder why Adobe doesn't consolidate.

Richard Southworth

Redcrown

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:57:00 am »

There are at least a dozen places (folders) that Microsoft Windows suggests for programs to use to store "user" data. I don't know the history of this, or if it's even documented anywhere. Regardless, software developers obviously don't know what's what, and just guess.

Like any software company, Adobe has different development teams. Sometimes they talk to each other, sometimes not. The result is that Adobe "data" is stored all over the place, with no apparent coordination.

I used to manage a corporate IT department with several semi-independent teams. One for accounting, one for research, one for production, etc. Each one filled with prima donnas, marching to different business drummers.

Once, in the early days of on-line data entry I had to referee a fight over what to do when a field was a fixed length, like a social security number or a date, as opposed to names, addresses. Some wanted to automatically skip to the next field, saving a keystroke. Some wanted to require the user to hit "return" regardless, for the sake of consistency. About 20 players in a 3 hour meeting reached no consensus.

That was maybe 40 years ago. I can't imagine the state of affairs now at a company like Adobe, and what it takes to keep their prima donnas in line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up