Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIFF or Raw?  (Read 926 times)

bwana

TIFF or Raw?
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:03:05 am »

I use LR for DAM and processing. It works well for images out of Nikon sensors. But Fuji raws and Sigma raws are another story. With Sigma, I am stuck using sigma's raw editor. Not really stuck since there is a photoshop plug in but I dont use photoshop. With Fuji, the raw conversion is really restricted. As most of you know, Adobe's raw converter likes to throw worms and other artifacts into the image. Although I can flatten the image to minimized these effects, any attempts at processing quickly brings up noise and other artifacts. I have looked at other raw converters and nothing comes close to the smoothness of fuji's converter based on silkypix(RFC3.0). However, RFC does not output dng files, only jpeg or TIFF. So, I save the conversion as a TIFF in aRGB space. Then I import into LR for post. However, I've noticed that tonal adjustments to the TIFF are more constrained than tonal adjustments made to a RAF file (even tho I do not like the actual raw conversion by Adobe RAW, the latitude of adjustment is much greater and the consequent delicacy of adjustment is greater as well). It seems that TIFFs (like jpegs) do not afford Adobe RAW sufficient information for its algorithms to make meaningful subtle adjustments.

So now I have to make multiple conversions of RAF files with RCE3 into underexposed and overexposed versions, merge them in photoshop using masks, etc, then import those into LR and then do global post processing (I really do not like the way I have to screw around in photoshop with selections, masks, ranges, numbers, etc.) I prefer the more 'analog' way LR allows me to adjust the image because it allows me to stay focused on what I am seeing rather than looking around in menus to find/figure out what tool to use, where it is, etc

Obviously it would be saner to learn silkypix. So I share my experience with perhaps a chance to learn another(better?) way to work with RAF files. And please do not say Raw digger, Iridient, Affinity or other application. I have looked at all those and the conversion is inferior to RCE in terms of smoothness, lack of noise and linearity. What I am hoping for is to hear from someone who uses RCE (or silkypix) and LR together. The information base for LR is huge and it is easier to keep learning in this regime rather than trying to scrape tidbits out of the internet about silkypix.

rasworth

Re: TIFF or Raw?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:39:07 am »

You should save out of silkypix in 16bit tiffs, converted to the ProPhoto color space - if both of these parameters are allowed by silkypix, then you will have no "penalty" in Lightroom post processing.

Richard Southworth

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:57:26 am »

Another idea may be to create custom profiles for your cameras for use in LR and see whether that deals with your perceived problems of ACR/Lr raw processing. If that works satisfactorily you would have a seamless workflow from ingestion to print within one application.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »

The problem in LR/ACR is with the demosaicing algorithm, so unfortunately a custom profile won't help.

And please do not say Raw digger, Iridient, Affinity or other application. I have looked at all those and the conversion is inferior to RCE in terms of smoothness, lack of noise and linearity.

I know the OP said he doesn't like this option, but I use Iridient to convert the RAF to linear DNG.

I haven't tried RCE, but personally I get excellent results with Iridient.

Eric Chan on TIFF vs Linear DNG.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:24:57 pm by Aram Hăvărneanu »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »

I haven't used Iridient for Fuji but Canon/Sony raws, it's indeed a superb raw processor.
You may wish to way about 48 hours (can't say more), then test those Fuji files in LR again. You may find it is 'more acceptable'.
Let's talk more early next week about this possibility.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

HarveyM43

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »

You should save out of silkypix in 16bit tiffs, converted to the ProPhoto color space - if both of these parameters are allowed by silkypix, then you will have no "penalty" in Lightroom post processing.

Richard Southworth

You can, but the ProPhoto option is buried in submenus-
 After playing some more with  SilkyPix SE (bundled with Panasonic cameras)  I found the ProPhoto option in it’s menu under 'Development' or ‘Option’; ‘setting for developed image’;’output colorspace’ set pulldown menu to ‘Convert to designated color space’ then in the second lower pulldown menu ‘ProPhoto RGB’
(note that I've downloaded the ProPhoto profile from Adobe & put it in the proper system folder on my mac; not sure if it would be available otherwise) 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:57:04 pm by HarveyM43 »

rasworth

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:42:54 pm »

How about bit depth?

Richard Southworth

HarveyM43

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:52:08 pm »

Yes it supports 8 or 16 bits. Bit depth is easier to find- under the development menu- setting for developed image-  there's a Tiff section with Exif support, Bit depth and compression settings.

bwana

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »

I found the prophoto option under Development->File output settings in the section where the dropdown 'output profile' has a dropdown.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:45:24 pm by bwana »
Pages: [1]   Go Up