Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto D1's ideas for snoots? 1"/ 2" ?  (Read 1261 times)

kevs

Profoto D1's ideas for snoots? 1"/ 2" ?
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »

I love the way the Profoto grids slide on to the D1's. Great design.  Sadly (inexplicably), they don't make equivalent 1" and 2" snoots to slide on.  I miss the snoots of my Speedatron/ Lumedyne days! The shadow lines were much sharper on nose/ neck shadows.

I like the grids, but what ideas are there for snoots? (Someone mentioned Cinefoil, which I have, combined with toilet paper roll). Any other/ better ideas? Thanks!

(Ironic, you spend 7k on D1 system and you have to use makeshift stuff with gaffers tape to use snoots)
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Profoto D1's ideas for snoots? 1"/ 2" ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:20 pm »

I love the way the Profoto grids slide on to the D1's. Great design.  Sadly (inexplicably), they don't make equivalent 1" and 2" snoots to slide on.  I miss the snoots of my Speedatron/ Lumedyne days! The shadow lines were much sharper on nose/ neck shadows.

I like the grids, but what ideas are there for snoots? (Someone mentioned Cinefoil, which I have, combined with toilet paper roll). Any other/ better ideas? Thanks!

(Ironic, you spend 7k on D1 system and you have to use makeshift stuff with gaffers tape to use snoots)
Are you saying that the snoot Profoto does make doesn’t get to one or two degrees?

kevs

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »

Thanks David, I not sure what it is... I think 3"? but way too cumbersome and expensive. I rental today, they said you have to buy a reflector first for the D1 and then the snoot, and then...? comes to $600 or so.....

Christoph B.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:58:46 pm »

Profoto has a snoot which is used in combination with the Zoom Reflector and a grid and a filter holder...

so yeah, it's really expensive!

You could try getting the Elinchrom Snoot and use it with the Elinchrom-Profoto Adapter. I'm not saying it'll be an ideal fit, but it should work.

However: be very careful about the heat! I've used the Elinchrom Snoot years ago and that thing gets hot!!!!

kevs

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:22:52 pm »

Found a solution: BH has some attachers to Profoto and buy old Speedatron snoots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up