Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: On a banal day  (Read 1601 times)

Ivophoto

On a banal day
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:56:49 pm »

Rob C

Re: On a banal day
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »

Reminds me of BobDavid a little bit; interesting set of planes and tones.

Are those metal things in the foreground cycle racks?

I almost never do deep DOF anymore; definitely mostly into WYSIWYG at f1.8/2 which, of course, is how the viewfinder shows it. Guess those who told me a rangefinder might not be for me are right.

Saved me a heap of dough!

For some reason I can't explain, the picture reminds me of the famous American Gothic. And not a couple in sight, with or without fork.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:12:49 pm by Rob C »

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:20:03 pm »

Reminds me of BobDavid a little bit; interesting set of planes and tones.

Are those metal things in the foreground cycle racks?

I almost never do deep DOF anymore; definitely mostly into WYSIWYG at f1.8/2 which, of course, is how the viewfinder shows it. Guess those who told me a rangefinder might not be for me are right.

Saved me a heap of dough!

For some reason I can't explain, the picture reminds me of the famous American Gothic. And not a couple in sight, with or without fork.

I don’t have an idea what the galvanized contraptions are. That’s one of the things that did catch my eye.

And I shifted to deep DOF, because it gives me more playground to organize the planes in the image.

Tx for pointing to the painting, I didn’t know it, but I’m happy I know it now.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:02 pm »

Okay, a banal day the other day, when I found myself wishing I hadn't carted along that D700 and 2/35mm (manual) when I know I really feel happier with the older D200 and newer 1.8/50 G.

The reason is clear to me: I find more interest close and personal (in the image) than standing off like this.

:-(

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:15:08 pm by Rob C »

Ivophoto

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:00:19 pm »

Okay, a banal day the other day, when I found myself wishing I hadn't carted along that D700 and 2/35mm (manual) when I know I really feel happier with the older D200 and newer 1.8/50 G.

The reason is clear to me: I find more interest close and personal (in the image) than standing off like this.

:-(

But, but, Rob. It’s a nice image!

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:52:58 pm »

But, but, Rob. It’s a nice image!

That's just unavoidable technique; the model is crap: she's built like a box.

The boats in the bay should never be there in winter; the north wind comes howling down between those mountains and havoc is created. The reason they find themselves there right now is due to the cabin in the snap: the port authorities have decided to throw everybody out so that they can use the low season for making a lot of changes to the mooring chains out in the sea, and the bollards have been removed, either for replacement with new ones or something, so the boats would have nothing to which to tie themselves.

I remember a young guy who was skipper to a boat in this port telling me that he had to crawl along the pier once in the 80s or get blown onto his face. Mistral et al. - we get 'em all in this spot! By the way, his pier doesn't exist today; the new marina was built later on.

Missed deals: when the new marina was being constructed my wife and I were offered club membership for around 360 pounds; as we had decided boats were not gonna happen we passed. Today, there's a waiting list, and it'll cost you about 23 grand to join. A mooring, bought then, would today have solved all my financial worries via renting it out. Thank goodness I'm no longer able to kick myself in the ass!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:57:25 pm »

The tonality saves the banality ;)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:35 pm »

Two reasons: I spent many years printing professionally in b/white; the D700 works well with the special look of that 2/35mm Nikkor glass; it's kinda lushy velvet. I discovered it was special right away. That said, my 60s 2.8/35mm Niikkor had better drawing: this f2 one has to be corrected to about 2 units in Photoshop to lose the barrel distortion. Consequently, it has always got to be cropped back to straight edges. I really still like it, but just can't get in tune with that focal length these days. It used to be my most used one along with the 135mm. I almost forgot my 2/50mm Nikkor existed; was my least used lens of them all once I could buy other lengths.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:28 pm »

I was referring to the OP image :)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »

I was referring to the OP image :)

How confusing!

:-)

Ivophoto

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:43:09 pm »

Could be the new words of Tim Finn’s “There’s a fraction to much friction.”

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:05:20 pm »

This was an early one on that 2/35mm manual Nikkor; I believe that the same tonality/look comes out in this one as in the other shot here of the work cabin. The lighting is totally different, but the look still manages to come through.

How much is operator and how much the mechanics of the glass is open to conjecture, but I think it owes mostly to the glass.

Ivophoto

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:59 am »

This was an early one on that 2/35mm manual Nikkor; I believe that the same tonality/look comes out in this one as in the other shot here of the work cabin. The lighting is totally different, but the look still manages to come through.

How much is operator and how much the mechanics of the glass is open to conjecture, but I think it owes mostly to the glass.

The glass is certainly an important piece. I also have ‘special relations ‘ with some glass. Most recently: fujinon 16mm and one of my oldies: Zuiko 50mm 1.2 radioactive.
Or the Pentax 67 300mm

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:41:56 am »

Repetitive and unimaginative is the modus operandi of urban development in my country. I'm fairly sure the weather plays a large role, possibly combined with the lack of natural features.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 02:56:35 am »

On the other hand they also manage to come up with this? But most of that was build before climate change was a thing. Now we just need to hire a beautiful model to showcase some out of context luxury somewhere in the middle of this image and we're in business. Peter L eat your heart out...
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 03:41:56 am »

Repetitive and unimaginative is the modus operandi of urban development in my country. I'm fairly sure the weather plays a large role, possibly combined with the lack of natural features.

Printed three metres long it will sell in top galleries, though you may need to rebrand it.

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 03:44:18 am »

On the other hand they also manage to come up with this? But most of that was build before climate change was a thing. Now we just need to hire a beautiful model to showcase some out of context luxury somewhere in the middle of this image and we're in business. Peter L eat your heart out...

Never mind Peter L, think Rob C who is eating his heart out!

Really evocative setting, and very good use of wet surfaces.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 06:18:45 am »

Never mind Peter L, think Rob C who is eating his heart out!

Really evocative setting, and very good use of wet surfaces.

Rob

But Rob, this is at least half a stop too light for your taste!?
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:20 am »

But Rob, this is at least half a stop too light for your taste!?

Horses, courses; even if all our horses had been stilled for the past few days!

That Peter L lady somewhere in the highlights would have been to die for, as they say in America, without having the slightest intention of doing so.

Then, yes, closing down the day around her would have validity...

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 01:51:08 pm »

The glass is certainly an important piece. I also have ‘special relations ‘ with some glass. Most recently: fujinon 16mm and one of my oldies: Zuiko 50mm 1.2 radioactive.
Or the Pentax 67 300mm

My older Canon FD lenses are among my favorite. The 50mm f/1.2 L renders wonderfully on my M43 cameras. Albeit it becomes 100mm. A focal length I enjoy.

Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up