Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to buy a RRS tripod...tomorrow...but which one? 24L vs. 33 vs. 34L  (Read 7875 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Re: Want to buy a RRS tripod...tomorrow...but which one? 24L vs. 33 vs. 34L
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 02:11:25 pm »

I use a modified FLM SRB-60 clamp with RRS L-brackets.  I chose this clamp as it's the same diameter as the P0, and allows me to see the bubble level with the camera in the clamp.

Excuse my ignorance...but what does 'PO' stand for? is that the ball head model name?

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 06:22:24 pm »

Excuse my ignorance...but what does 'PO' stand for? is that the ball head model name?
Yes, sorry. Arca Swiss P0 ball head.

gkroeger

Philmar

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:16 am »

An option is to buy a FLM ball head and attach a RRS clamp to it but the cost savings go out the window cuz the RRS clamps are so friggen expensive.
YIKES...looking at the price for RRS clamps is disheartening. Once I buy a RRS clamp, a FLM ball head, glue then I have something that is probably stiffer than I really need and both heavier and more expensive than the BH-40.

When I look at the FLM or B&H site I cannot tell what is the difference between FTR, FT and F designated ball heads.

Philmar

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »

I use a modified FLM SRB-60 clamp with RRS L-brackets.  I chose this clamp as it's the same diameter as the P0, and allows me to see the bubble level with the camera in the clamp.

I see you also changed the serial number... :D ;D

Philmar

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 10:32:29 am »

How did you remove the pin? with needle nose pliers?
What is the purpose and origin of the metric-English stud?
Obviously I am not mechanically inclined.

Philmar

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:50 am »

Have been investigating the the other brands of arca-swiss compatible clamps for sale on B&H....some cheaper alternatives available. Caveat emptor, I know.
Anybody have any good things or terrible things to say about clamps from SunwayFoto, Desmond, Oben, Hejnar.

Keep in mind the context of my usage....5D3 with heaviest lens the 24-70 f2.8 L II with a RRS L-Plate.

Philmar

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 03:38:28 pm »

Thanks!

OOOPS that was 50 mms, not cms

gkroeger

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 08:48:55 pm »

OOOPS that was 50 mms, not cms

Yes, I already added a decimal point!

JaapD

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 01:40:51 am »

Have been investigating the the other brands of arca-swiss compatible clamps for sale on B&H....some cheaper alternatives available. Caveat emptor, I know.
Anybody have any good things or terrible things to say about clamps from SunwayFoto, Desmond, Oben, Hejnar.

Keep in mind the context of my usage....5D3 with heaviest lens the 24-70 f2.8 L II with a RRS L-Plate.

I’m using “Sunwayfoto DDC-60LR Lever Release Clamp” which is a quick release clamp (instead of a rotating locking knob, which I don’t like). It is fully Arca compatible and works great as an alternative solution to the expensive RRS QR clamp.

Regards,
Jaap.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 02:02:34 am »

I see you also changed the serial number... :D ;D
Before pic is the mfg's catalog photo.

How did you remove the pin? with needle nose pliers?
What is the purpose and origin of the metric-English stud?
Obviously I am not mechanically inclined.
Drove the pin out with a punch from bottom. 
Head has metric female threads, clamp has 3/8" female threads, so metric-english stud needed to couple them.  Made it myself on a lathe, but I recall seeing some listed for sale on Amazon.

Philmar

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 01:37:45 pm »

Had finally decided upon the FLM CB-43FT or CB-43F with either a RRS clamp or even a PMG clamp. But alas they are out of stock for a min. of a month in this part of the planet......so I bide my time and look at other alternatives. Will go play with some Acratech heads in the weekend. Pretty sure they will be plenty strong for my heaviest 5 lb. camera/lens/L-Plate set up. Probably a better choice since I shoot so much on a sandy local beach or during extreme freezing cold.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

On my daily B&H email yesterday was an advertisement for a new tripod brand I was unfamiliar with, Robus.  It looks to be about 1/2 the price of RRS tripods with some extra stuff thrown in.  I found one review here that covers it.  It's slightly heavier than the RRS tripod.  I've been shopping for a new tripod for a couple of months and will consider this one.  Since it is so new to the market, I don't know if anyone on LuLa has experience with it.

Lightsmith

The Centercolumn rankings are garbage and a waste of time. Having purchased many tripods including the TVC-34L and 4 Gitzo models, I have found that the load ratings are next to useless. I can take two tripods that are both rated for 55 lbs and pushing down on the top plate I have seen flexing of the legs on one and not on the other.

With a Giottos tripod I bought I discovered that its spider design while making for a more compact tripod when folded up, also allowed a lot of rotational flexing with a large lens mounted. I quickly sold it.

The TCV-34L was never used where I needed to fly as it was too long when fully collapsed at 23 inches. I bought a Feisol CT-3472 for air travel and later bought the Feisol center column to convert the lens for greater maximum height. With the center column all the way down the head is as rigidly held in place as with no center column but I can 3 inches in height for the legs. The column itself is much larger in diameter than most center columns and does not flex at all when elevated up to 5 inches from the top of the legs. Best part is that with the standard plate I have a lightweight set of legs and with the center column at attaches in seconds I have a center column equipped tripod and with the quick level head I have a fast leveling base for landscape and video. Three tripods at two thirds the cost of the RRS tripod and better in every situation where I use a tripod than the TVC-34L.

CT-3471 legs alone gives me 57.9" plus the 3 inch height gain with the Arca-Swiss D4 GP head on the quick level base for landscapes and for wildlife shooting with critter in the trees I have 57.9" plus the center column for 61 to 65 inches with great stability and support for a gimbal head. The Feisol design is brilliant and the build quality is equal to RRS and better than the current Gitzo tripods. Nice touch is that Feisol provides a very good carry case with its tripods. With RRS all I got was a cardboard box and Gitzo provided a thin cloth sack with a drawstring.

Philmar

The Centercolumn rankings are garbage and a waste of time. Having purchased many tripods including the TVC-34L and 4 Gitzo models, I have found that the load ratings are next to useless.

The centercolumn site doesn't rank or measure load ratings.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up