Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Platine Fibre Rag 300 compared to Fotospeed Photo Pearl 290 ?  (Read 553 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography

Posting more by way of an observation and looking for some insight as to what I am seeing.

I processed a couple of images and sent them to two separate printers who as far as I know both use Canon printers with the 12 ink Lucia pigment sets.

Firstly, I had to hand examples of one labs prints on various papers and the one I picked because, though a different subject to mine, I liked the smooth tonality it seems to offer.  This was the Canson Platine Fibre Rag 300.

The other lab simply listed Photo Pearl, now I had a while back some printed elsewhere on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl so felt comfortable that pearl would be an AOK as well.

Note ~ I have a calibrated screen so was content that I had done my side of the equation ;)

1) The first lot I got back were Fotospeed Photo Pearl ~ they looked very nice and I had no real concerns over the "look".

2) Then I had the Canson Platine ones ~ and likewise they looked very nice indeed.

When packing the Canson into my WiP portfolio holder (mounts are due next week) I did a visual comparison (not best time of day as under dining room tungsten type light :( ) between the two and noticed that the Canson seems just that bit better ~ the shadow areas were darker in the Fotospeed and the Canson looked overall more pleasing and as far as I can tell more like my "as viewed on screen in PS" files.

As I said on balance and in isolation both Fotospeed and Canson look good, they are aircraft pictures of the RAF Harrier on its retirement flight day, on a runway taken on an aweful rainy day & flat lighting.

So, are the differences I can see primarily down to the way the paper & its material makeup has 'taken' the inks or is there possibly an underlying question as to how the labs have setup their printers.  Both of whom came highly recommended, FWIW.

TIA for any thoughts and insights :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canson Platine Fibre Rag 300 compared to Fotospeed Photo Pearl 290 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 05:06:58 pm »

There are so many variables at play, many of which you have no control over and we don't know about, that it's an impossible question to answer, not to speak of the fact that other observers would also need to see the actual prints.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up