Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any worries about "just" expired original pigment inks?  (Read 1596 times)

dehnhaide

Any worries about "just" expired original pigment inks?
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:04:07 pm »

Upon ordering 7 different colors replacement ink tanks for my Canon PRO-2000 I just realized that 4 of them have already "expired", the "Install before" ranges from Dec-2018 to Feb-2019. All are PFI-1100 type, 160ml each.
I print, on average, at least once every 1-2 weeks. The printer is still under warranty.
What is your experience with this situation? Should I worry about this and return them to the provider or should I go ahead and install & use them right away?

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Any worries about "just" expired original pigment inks?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »

I know from experience that Epson's Ultrachrome family of inks can work very well several years after expiry. Perhaps the same for Canon but I cannot attest to this. Nonetheless, there is no reason to accept expired or nearly expired newly purchased inks. If you can return them and get fresher stock, why take chances?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 02:25:06 pm »

You shouldn't have any issues with expired ink between Canon or Epson.  HP (large format printers) on the other hand, will not accept the cartridge if it IS expired and will state it until replaced.

The expiration is most likely on the box for safety reasons per gov't rules.  You can definitely use it or ask for better dates, but shouldn't see any difference in quality.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:30:30 pm »

I don’t believe any retailer should be charging full price for an expired cartridge regardless of whether it is “safe” to use.

but many years of anecdotal evidence has shown there isn’t any real risk. As with any of these (new or expired)  agitate gently and if they are expired or close to expired maybe do so for a little longer.  The pigments can settle out over time. If they are substantially expired, I would be concerned they have settled out and hardened enough the won’t redissolve back out into the carrier solution.  I personally wouldn’t load up a cartridge that is a year or two past expiration even if it was free.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:50:54 pm »

I don’t believe any retailer should be charging full price for an expired cartridge regardless of whether it is “safe” to use.
................ I personally wouldn’t load up a cartridge that is a year or two past expiration even if it was free.

Very sound advice.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dehnhaide

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 06:31:54 pm »

but many years of anecdotal evidence has shown there isn’t any real risk. As with any of these (new or expired)  agitate gently and if they are expired or close to expired maybe do so for a little longer.  The pigments can settle out over time. If they are substantially expired, I would be concerned they have settled out and hardened enough the won’t redissolve back out into the carrier solution.  I personally wouldn’t load up a cartridge that is a year or two past expiration even if it was free.

Thanks Wayne & Mark! I will try that get in contact with the retailer and see what are the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:15:46 am »

HP (large format printers) on the other hand, will not accept the cartridge if it IS expired and will state it until replaced.

The HP Z's printers warn that the warranty is no longer guaranteed when expired cartridges are installed, the same for expired heads. They will run however.  In practice I never noticed issues while using them.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Doug Gray

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47:54 pm »

I recently noticed a small change when I put new inks in my 9800. One of the older ones expired in 2011ish and I hadn't noticed it when I installed it a few years back. Had to make new profiles but the effect was barely noticeable with the older profiles made with that ink.

Dan Wells

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:35 pm »

As many here have said, I wouldn't pay full price for them, but I would use them without concern. I'm not sure how expired is safe, but I've routinely had inks in my printer up to a year or more past the expiration date (I haven't installed them that far out, but I've certainly used them...) The most important exception is HPs (and any other printer that detects ink age with a chip and complains - I don't know of anyone else doing that in large format, but many smaller printers do - I don't think all the offenders are HP products). I would also be wary of old aftermarket ink - it may or may not have the same settling characteristics of OEM ink.

In fact, I personally wouldn't use aftermarket ink in a large-format printer at all. The printers are much more expensive than a consumer printer, and the ink is much less expensive per ml, so the savings are less and the risk is greater. How much to risk is a personal decision - I'd absolutely try it in a $69 printer with $70 refills (they exist), and third-party ink isn't getting anywhere near my Pro-2000 - I'd have to think about it in between. Unfortunately, cheap printers are the most heavily chipped!
Pages: [1]   Go Up