Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headland's Beach  (Read 1012 times)

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Headland's Beach
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »

Comments welcomed.
Logged

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 755
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:27:15 pm »

IMHO, though no doubt others will disagree as appreciation is largely personal.  I would crop top and right.  Why? 'Cos the horizon is too close to the middle.  I would move the horizon up to 1/3 down from the top or less.  Cropping out some of the right side would would make more of the path and its end point.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Logged
Jonathan in UK

SteveBarnesPhotography

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:23:04 pm »

IMHO, though no doubt others will disagree as appreciation is largely personal.  I would crop top and right.  Why? 'Cos the horizon is too close to the middle.  I would move the horizon up to 1/3 down from the top or less.  Cropping out some of the right side would would make more of the path and its end point.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
I agree. The end of the path leading to the top corner would be really good composition. The hard thing is that we don't always have the time or ability to consider the frame when we shoot that we do in post processing. It becomes possible to do more than the basics on a photo, to sit and look at the composition again and try to unlock its best version when we get it on the big screen.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Logged

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:57:38 pm »

IMHO, though no doubt others will disagree as appreciation is largely personal.  I would crop top and right.  Why? 'Cos the horizon is too close to the middle.  I would move the horizon up to 1/3 down from the top or less.  Cropping out some of the right side would would make more of the path and its end point.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

I agree. The end of the path leading to the top corner would be really good composition. The hard thing is that we don't always have the time or ability to consider the frame when we shoot that we do in post processing. It becomes possible to do more than the basics on a photo, to sit and look at the composition again and try to unlock its best version when we get it on the big screen.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
Don't be so hasty. I could do a lot of things to this image. But what do you like about it? That is what should determine your crop or processing , if any. And if you change and crop, where does the new emphasis lie? The image may not be a striking or great landscape, but it does have its qualities. It has a soft natural look even though darkish shadows are present. We are compelled, I think, to look at the whole image led by the boardwalk. We stop at the horizon and scan the trees and structure. We know there is something beyond the trees. But we continue looking up and are stopped by the clouds. The clouds force us to look back down and continue to want to see what is beyond that horizon.  A crop, unless small and judicious, will change the overall look, feel and emphasis. Something to consider.

JR
Logged

brandtb

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 972
    • http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:12:06 am »

I think the composition is really interesting and the subjects incl. the great walkway leading to pavilion in distance, the grasses, and the shadows crossing, etc. There is some aspect of this image that reminds me of the work of Andrew Wyeth and is very nice - perhaps looking at his work "might" lead to some options/direction. The sky is so wan that it is a bit of a problem though - maybe you have a darker exposure - one that would appear to have "more blue" in it - this plus a fraction more contrast might help this image. Not sure. Alternatively, you could crop off the top 1/8th and the right 1/6th - and convert to B&W. There is some potential here in monochrome with shadows, shape and brightness of walkway etc,etc. It was worth the attempt in trying to capture - nice scene.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:32:49 am by brandtb »
Logged
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:28:49 pm »

Thanks all for the great comments.  I found everything said to be useful.  I think I will definitely eliminate some part of the right half of the image.  Playing with this image I tried many of the recommendations given to me.  For some reason -- I honestly cannot explain why -- I liked this airy light development of it.  I know that adding a bit of punch (in whatever form) would make the image more digestible for the viewer.  However, I wanted the viewer to be seduced into looking at it -- if this sounds like BS I apologize.  I will revisit all recommended changes.  Fortunately, this scene is about two hours from my home so that I will try it again.  The look of this scene is obviously influenced by time of day and weather/cloud patterns so that almost every visit to it gives me something new to (try) to capture. 

Mark
Logged

KMRennie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 989
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56:38 pm »

Hi Mark I like this gentle image. About cropping and the horizon in the middle. I find the clouds bring a nice stop to my eyes upward travel that would go if you cropped to the rule of thirds. I would have to reject 50% of my images if I were to slavishly follow that rule and reject almost all of them if I were to follow all of the "rules". Ken
Logged

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Headland's Beach
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »

Thanks Rennie.  I agree with your comments.  I always try to apply the standard rules.  However, If I am not happy with the
result I will try alternatives.

Mark
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up