Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can’t Calibrate Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 with the HP Z3100 (44”)  (Read 875 times)

DottieC

• Dottie Campbell

I cannot calibrate Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 paper on the HP Z3100 but I am  nevertheless still getting good prints.

Can anyone help with ideas to get the printer to calibrate the paper or can anyone explain how I am able to get good prints without calibrating?  Is my success in getting good prints without a calibration of the paper a fluke that could soon disappear?

The Error:
   I downloaded the ICC profile for the Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 paper for the Z3100 from the Canson website.  I installed the ICC profile with the HP Print Utility and then initiated a calibration of this paper with the Print Utility. It printed the color chart, let it dry, pulled it back in to let the spectrophotometer read it and failed. The message was something like “Failed scan.”

Subsequently to this I scoured the internet and this forum especially for suggestions on how to fix my problem.

I do have the APS for my printer but it stopped working several operating systems ago. I run an early-2009 Mac Pro with El Capitan.

Variations:
    • I tried a variety of paper presets: Fine Art Pearl (less ink), Photo Semi-gloss/satin, Photo Semi-gloss/satin (more ink), Photo gloss
    • Installed ICC with a paper preset both with GE checked and with GE not checked. (I thought the GE might be causing the calibration scan to fail.)

What I have tried:
    • Multiple Hard Reboots of the printer
    • Checked and replaced all questionable ink cartridges and print heads. Run head alignments, did image quality maintenance, ran a diagnostic print. Everything looked great.
    • Tried to make a paper calibration through the printer panel. This failed.
    • Changed back to a known paper—HP Pro Satin, instant dry. This paper calibrated without problem. I took this to mean that the spectrophotometer was OK. I assumed there was no possibility of a partially broken spectrophotometer. (Was I wrong to do so?)
    • Re-calibrated the paper advance. (It is a thick paper; this seemed like a reasonable thing to do.)

Paper still not calibrated, Prints seem fine
    • Does anyone know why this is so?
    • Does the calibration of a paper compensate for such small changes in the temperature, the age of the inks, etc. that not having the calibration usually does not make a noticeable difference?
    • Is there something like a default calibration for a paper type that is being used and is good enough?
    • Or is my success in getting good prints without a calibration of the paper a fluke that will soon disappear?

Thanks for any help.
DC

David Budd

Re: Can’t Calibrate Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 with the HP Z3100 (44”)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:29 pm »

I had a similar problem with my Z3100 ( which I longer have).

Perhaps this may be of help to you.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=122681.msg1031889#msg1031889

-David

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:52:17 am »

I cannot calibrate Canson Platine Fibre Rag 310 paper on the HP Z3100 but I am  nevertheless still getting good prints.
Can anyone help with ideas to get the printer to calibrate the paper or can anyone explain how I am able to get good prints without calibrating?  Is my success in getting good prints without a calibration of the paper a fluke that could soon disappear?...
I do have the APS for my printer but it stopped working several operating systems ago. I run an early-2009 Mac Pro with El Capitan.
DC

I too had that same problem with canson - Platine ...
I tried several times to to disquise it as an other paper- nothing worked.
all other papers calibrate fine.. (?)

That you still got good prints is not remarkable.
As long as your heads are doing fine and the density of all colours are normal you get good prints.
you could check that by hand with a spectrophotometer, now the caibration fails .
I always save some calibrations from the past so i can observe changes.

PS i bought the APS as well for the z3100- after some years the puck ( i-one display2) stopt working
and the last system on apple it works on is 10.6. Not a very nice outcome for an 800€ investment.
But you can still install 10.6 on a partition and use the APS on an old computer like yours... as i do.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:24:40 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:55:50 am »

You did all the things I could possibly think of for a solution.

That the other RC photo paper could be calibrated is a sign that the spectrometer shutter opens. Anyway you can check that again by looking through the media exert slit to see the white LED flashing while it scans the target patches. While you are there; Spectrometer actually gets to scanning stage or already breaks off a the paper edge / patches position stage (red LED light)? No excessive curl in the Canson paper? 

Canson also used to have Z3200 media presets to install, kind of cooperation with HP like Ilford/Hahnemühle/Innova had. Extension .OMS files. If I recall it correctly for the Z3100 it is only a profile and the choice of media preset described to clone for a Platine custom media preset.

I would suggest to skip that custom media preset for the time being or even take it out. Try the HP Baryte Satin Media Preset instead and do not clone it for a custom media preset. That paper is no longer in production so the media preset can be reserved for the Platine and its weight comes closer to what you have in the Canson. Ink lay down will be close enough for the Canson Platine variety.

If that calibrates I assume something went wrong in the Platine custom media preset creation. Add a Z3100 made custom profile with HP Color Center or ArgyllCMS. Mark Lindquist's pages will tell how to do the last.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

DottieC

• Dottie Campbell
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:44 pm »

PS i bought the APS as well for the z3100- after some years the puck ( i-one display2) stopt working
and the last system on apple it works on is 10.6. Not a very nice outcome for an 800€ investment.
But you can still install 10.6 on a partition and use the APS on an old computer like yours... as i do.

Thanks Kers

Thanks for reassuring me that the prints will not all of a sudden become horrible without a calibration.

See my response to Ernst below. I followed his suggestion and now have successfully calibrated my Canson paper.

I do have a 10.5 partition on my MacPro (and the install disks for 10.6). When I finish the current project, I will try to bring up APS on 10.5 (or 10.6)

I am curious: what do you primarily use APS for?  I have never used it. I have mostly used HP papers with my printer and have not had the need to push into the APS.

DottieC

DottieC

• Dottie Campbell
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:25 pm »

Hi Ernst

I was hoping you would jump in here.

I finished my previous roll of Canson paper and put in a new roll. The old roll did seem especially curled towards the end.

I used the HP Baryte Satin Media Preset for the paper. Before calibrating, I installed with this present the Canson ICC profile for the paper (Gloss on). I then initiated a calibration and, when the time came, peered in the exit slit to watch the lights. The LED seemed to be flashing in a regular manner, the calibration finished and it was successful!

Thanks for suggesting the use of this preset and this manner of proceeding.

(The excessive curl in the paper could have been the problem all along, but I am going with the hypothesis that I was using the wrong paper preset.)

DottieC

(Also Canson recommended cloning HP Premium Satin Photo paper presets for this paper  but I found this information useless since we could not find the preset information for this discontinued kind of paper.)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:07 am »

Hi Ernst

snipped text

DottieC

(Also Canson recommended cloning HP Premium Satin Photo paper presets for this paper  but I found this information useless since we could not find the preset information for this discontinued kind of paper.)

Good to read that it worked, one way or another does not matter.

The HP Professional Satin Photo Paper is no longer available and it might be a better choice as a media preset for the Platine. It has the same ink load as the HP Premium ID Satin Photo Paper. BTW, The HP Premium ID Satin Photo Paper you mentioned is one of the standard media presets still present in all the Z printers firmware, yours too. It is also still sold and not a bad paper either. It could be that the HP Baryte Satin media preset lays down less ink than the two RC paper media presets mentioned above. Going from memory here, should check the docs. Which makes the HP Professional S P a better choice in media preset. After the calibration I would recommend to make a custom profile for the Platine;

IMO the source of the Platine is the Felix Schoeller company that upgraded their J23000 True Rag Silk Satin 305 gr/m² to the J24000 version 310 gr/m². That should correspond well with quality increases over time in the Platine, higher white point etc. Felix Schoeller no longer gives a media preset advice or profile for downlaod for the Z3100 and 3200 and I doubt Canson updated the old ones. Given that and the use of the Professional media preset I would suggest to make a custom profile too.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up