Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deception  (Read 710 times)

Ivophoto

Deception
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:20 pm »

Shopping with Mom.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Deception
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:22 pm »

Another good grab, Ivo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:06:27 pm »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »

Boy, does that kid look pissed off!

Today, I decided I needed a new pair of shoes. Of course, nothing remotely like a supplier of gentlemens' shoes exist here anymore - only the ladies are spoiled for expensive choice, so I betook myself almost down to Palma to buy a pair - shoes - and, coincidentally, break in the two new tyres I had bought yesterday (never rains but it pours) - and I thought it would be rather nice to get another pair like the ones I was wearing and, with luck, pick up a substantial woollen scarf so that I might wear it à la Leiter and, in so doing, improve my street art photography.

To my surprise, not only had the brand (of shoes) vanished, but the available range within the single alternative brand was somewhat garish, according to my taste guide, and so I hesitated, and wandered off looking for a sensible body warmer that could be worn beneath my regular rain-resistant (slightly) jacket, or even without it in spring, thus convincing myself of nature's best intentions regardless of present indications. As luck would have it, instead, I returned to the shoes and discovered that either my old feet have grown a size, or there is no longer such a thing as a common standard within the European Union which, I suppose, is not really surprising when you consider the disruption and stress going down over Brexit. With so much at stake, what's a little standard or two!

Anyway, when I was back on the motorway heading home, flashy shoes in the trunk, I realised that I had bought neither scarf nor body warmer. Some days are like that, but I guess I saved some money.

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »

Today, I decided I needed a new pair of shoes. Of course, nothing remotely like a supplier of gentlemens' shoes exist here anymore - only the ladies are spoiled for expensive choice, so I betook myself almost down to Palma to buy a pair - shoes - and, coincidentally, break in the two new tyres I had bought yesterday (never rains but it pours) - and I thought it would be rather nice to get another pair like the ones I was wearing and, with luck, pick up a substantial woollen scarf so that I might wear it à la Leiter and, in so doing, improve my street art photography.

To my surprise, not only had the brand (of shoes) vanished, but the available range within the single alternative brand was somewhat garish, according to my taste guide, and so I hesitated, and wandered off looking for a sensible body warmer that could be worn beneath my regular rain-resistant (slightly) jacket, or even without it in spring, thus convincing myself of nature's best intentions regardless of present indications. As luck would have it, instead, I returned to the shoes and discovered that either my old feet have grown a size, or there is no longer such a thing as a common standard within the European Union which, I suppose, is not really surprising when you consider the disruption and stress going down over Brexit. With so much at stake, what's a little standard or two!

Anyway, when I was back on the motorway heading home, flashy shoes in the trunk, I realised that I had bought neither scarf nor body warmer. Some days are like that, but I guess I saved some money.

Rob
Or how big a deception can be.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:03:08 am »

Well worth posting.

Ivophoto

Deception
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:47 am »

Rob

Your story is very recognizable.

Weeks before the birth of my youngest son I bought a pair of Marlboro boots. Genuine Goodyear soles, quality leather, perfect fit after breaking in.
I had them resoled several times with Rendenbach soles until a few years ago my shoemaker quit business and it appeared difficult to find a shoemaker who still masters the art of rebuilding a Goodyear sole. Even a hidden stitch is a mystery for most nowadays shoe hobbyists.
I was very happy to spot exactly the same Marlboro boots in a shoe shop. Taking them in hands I made the same face like the kid above. The boots where only a faint shade of my originals. Cheap thin leather and Euro leather soles.

You know Euro leather? It is grinded recuperation leather  mixed with glue. Stiffness of a hare ear and water repellent as sponge Bob.

I took my vintage Marlboro boots to a Golf shoe maker in Amsterdam and had the sole rebuilt for double the price of a nowadays pair of throw away shoes.

Now I ‘m very economical on the use of this 24yr old pair of booths, because this quality is not for sale anymore in the random shoe shop.

It is still obtainable, but at a price I can’t justify.
Pages: [1]   Go Up