Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help choosing how to feed Epson P800  (Read 594 times)

bwana

Help choosing how to feed Epson P800
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:15:49 pm »

I have a roll of Hahnemule PhotoRagPearl paper 320 GSM. Hahnemule classifies this under their 'glossy fine art category'. Is this paper too thick to go into the roll feeder and down the usual paper path? Epson states 'You can load fine art media with a thickness of 0.012 to 0.028 inch (0.3 to 0.7 mm)'  300 GSM is about .305mm. So it seems this paper is right on the borderline of what needs to go in the front. As I have no experience with this kind of paper (yet) I am hoping someone might be able to share theirs with this printer and paper like this. When does one use the 'fine art' paper path? Above 310? above 300? And when should the platen be adjusted?

Also Canson Baryta photographique ( a favorite among many users here) is 310 gsm. Does anyone use this directly from a roll?

I know I can just do it but I'd rather avoid head strikes and complications.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:19:55 pm by bwana »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Help choosing how to feed Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:25 pm »

Printing from a roll in the P800, you just follow the instructions in the manual: feed the paper through the slot in the back where it is supposed to go. That uses the same path as the Front Fine Art Feed except in reverse, so it will work with heavy/thick papers. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:14:14 pm »

I think that Epson actually succeeded in making the User Guide for the P800 worse than the one for the 3880, which is quite an achievement.
Information is all over the place on paper thickness but the rear feed is 0.3-0.7mm which is your choice for 0.305mm.
However why would you want to put roll paper in the front feed anyway?
The front feed according to the guide is for 1.2-1.5mm paper. So that is cardboard. Your paper is not even close.

You can't determine the thickness of paper according to its GSM weight. You just have to measure with a micrometer or get the spec from somewhere.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:32:00 pm »

You are making this harder than it is. Roll paper is fed through the rear slot that is intended for it. Period😀
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bwana

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:04:40 am »

thank you for your clarification. I was getting confused by the manual indicating that 'fine art' media could (should?) be loaded from the front. I now  appreciate that fine art media is more durable than I thought. I was worried that the 'fine art' designation might be indicating a delicate emulsion that might peel off if the paper was sent through the acute curve from the rear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up