Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Believing is Seeing  (Read 1780 times)

Ray Harrison

Believing is Seeing
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:47 am »

Josh,
I appreciate that there is a level of mindfulness and transcendence associated with capturing and displaying beautiful images, at least for some. I also appreciate that one of your day jobs is counseling and teaching meditation. Too, I understand you have a broad background in music and video and of course you will have absorbed and practiced still photography given the house you grew up in and certainly from your education.

While I didn't dislike the intent, I personally found your article, Believing is Seeing (part 1), lacked a center, lacked focus and was too meandering for my own tastes. I read through it several times, and in general I enjoy writing that challenges me. I also enjoy art that challenges me. That said, I personally didn't find the images flowed with the words. I found the words unapproachable and the images were left hanging. Please, no more about "observing the observer" or whatever the exact phrase was  :).

Essay writing is very hard and takes a lot of work. You have to distill rambling thoughts into a few coherent ideas, and the ideas into the right words, not just long ones. I feel that you left it more at the "rambling thoughts" stage than I would have preferred. A dispassionate second set of eyes can be good.

On a positive note, I'm looking forward to seeing how you are going to take this site forward. I've enjoyed some of the recent articles so I have hope.

There are definitely nuggets in what you're writing, but the writing needs work. Unfortunately for you, you have to do that practicing in a very public space so we'll all be here to provide the feedback  8).

Thanks,
Ray
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:19:21 am by Ray Harrison »

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Re: Believing is Seeing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:50 pm »

It’s a difficult group of topics to express, for sure.
Inherently fraught with obtuse and complex ideas if handled honestly. I’ll continue to refine my approach .
Thanks
Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

KenTanaka

• Photography by Kenneth Tanaka
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:11:29 pm »

The type of work that Josh describes in his article has come to be known as miksang.  A simple Google search for "miksang images" will turn up thousands of examples.  There are also several books available on the topic.  "Miksang" is a general contemplative philosophy derived from Buddhist teachings, I think.

Much of the core of Minor White's later teachings and works strongly paralleled a "miksang" philosophy.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »

The type of work that Josh describes in his article has come to be known as miksang.  A simple Google search for "miksang images" will turn up thousands of examples.  There are also several books available on the topic.  "Miksang" is a general contemplative philosophy derived from Buddhist teachings, I think.

Much of the core of Minor White's later teachings and works strongly paralleled a "miksang" philosophy.

Thank you for the insight! Context is always a great thing.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 01:35:53 pm »

+1
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »

It’s a difficult group of topics to express, for sure.
Inherently fraught with obtuse and complex ideas if handled honestly. I’ll continue to refine my approach .
Thanks
Josh

Thanks! I actually don't think the topic is too complex or the ideas too obtuse, but I think a focus on simplicity and clarity in delivery (as well as context) is always helpful. I appreciated the references from Ken Tanaka.

vartkes

• The Armenian
    • VartkesImages - Contemplative Photographs
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »

I feel my image making practice is a meditation practice. So I resonate with what I am imagining to be the intent of this article; that emptying the mind of all extraneous thoughts an preoccupation, just concentrating on the task of visualizing the image at hand. However, I found it was difficult to follow the article's line of development. Good intent but execution could bear to be refined.
Pages: [1]   Go Up