Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I sense a trip to Manchester coming on  (Read 830 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
I sense a trip to Manchester coming on
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:46:49 am »

I used to visit Manchester for work maybe two times a week 20 years ago and I haven't been back since but I think I will

The upsetting Mr Parr

I suspect some members here may not make that trip  :)

It's a fine city and I do look a good wander around a city.

Mike

Rob C

Re: I sense a trip to Manchester coming on
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:57:46 am »

I used to visit Manchester for work maybe two times a week 20 years ago and I haven't been back since but I think I will

The upsetting Mr Parr

I suspect some members here may not make that trip  :)

It's a fine city and I do look a good wander around a city.

Mike

You're right!

;-)

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 05:56:46 am »

I think there’s a new Don McCullin documentary on the BBC tonight. Much more my taste.

See here
Mark @ Flickr

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:08:53 am »

I think there’s a new Don McCullin documentary on the BBC tonight. Much more my taste.

See here

Thank you!

Will be watching with eyes peeled.

Rob

davidedric

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:22:17 pm »

If your are interested in MCullin, you might be interested in this very recent conversation with a photographer who was horribly injured in a war zone, but returned to photography despite having only one remaining limb:

Conversation

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:01 pm »

Ours is a fine city. If you've not been here, you're missing out.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:03:02 pm »

If your are interested in MCullin, you might be interested in this very recent conversation with a photographer who was horribly injured in a war zone, but returned to photography despite having only one remaining limb:

Conversation

That's a good link; thank you.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:35:21 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 06:19:16 pm »

Okay, seen the film. Now, what did I think about it, I ask myself. And I feel it was a mixed bag - for me, at any rate.

I felt it tried to cover far too much territory which was, of course, the point. I would have been a lot happier with it had it simply stuck to his black and white landscapes and seascapes, which I think he does superbly well. I am aware that I am not really a landscape fan, but his stuff may not actually be landscape in the LuLa sense of the word. If anything, I think that he's on the same kick as I find myself on with my later shots in my Glimpsed Parallels gallery pix, which I suppose is not so much about the thing in the frame, but in what it can maybe be persuaded into being. A least he confirms my preference for clouds rather than unbroken blue!

I was happily ammused to hear him say that he prints darker as he gets older; that's been exactly my experience too. In fact, I think that what I do and I believe that he does as well, is not prnt dark out of melancholy or depression  which I don't think either he or I have; what, in fact, I think we are both doing is by darkness, bringing out the brightness where it exists; rather than death I think we seek confirmation of some light of life. However, I have to admit he did mention thinking himself at the end of his time; I hope he's not ill.

The street stuff didn't convince me. How the hell can you blend into the background and not be noticed when you have a movie camera and several people following you about and filming you do what you are doing? It gives you gravitas, makes you seem official, in some way, and therefore okay.  It's exactly the same problem as bedevils those documentary/cooking programmes where local folks in berets are asked about their pig that sniffs out truffles... the reactions to a team are never going to be the reactions to a single photographer. I wonder just how the elegant lady with the large hat would have reacted had there been no crew... he got a super picture of her.

The darkroom made me a bit nostagic, even down to the stained dishes and that D76 label! That said, I think it would be too much of a culture shock going back now; I have become spoiled and lazy with Photoshop.

I recognized the Mamiya, but what was that other rangefinder thing with the strange viewing attachment? A Plaubel? I seemed to see it upside down most of the time.

Either way, an hour flew past far too quickly. Thanks again for the link!

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:53 am »

I enjoyed the McCullin programme last night. Light sketches really, nothing big at all, but then I could listen to and watch him all day. Touching too when folks from his images decades ago come back to life. I love his ease and rapport with people and how he has always stayed true to his roots. He has done extraordinary work over the years. I recognised one of the street people at the top of Brick Lane where I often pass by. Try to take a pic of that chap and you will be given a very rough time unless you come with a full TV crew attached, I would guess. He’s a rager in my experience! But I admire him for that too very much given his circumstances. No self-pity. The sheer energy of it probably keeps him alive.

Sir Don was right about the divisions too. It’s ghastly. There is a homeless crisis in my city (Oxford) now after the council started closing the homeless shelters. At night the town centre is like a dormitory. It’s just plain wrong. The way we’ve come to treat each other ...

I think that was a Plaubel camera though not sure. Also put to very good use when he visited Palmyra with Don Cruickshank in “The Road to Palmyra” last year on BBC. The better film, I think. And that Plaubel again ... spectacular results ... in the hands of a master ...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:54:11 am by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:29 am »

I have just watched and enjoyed it. It was interesting to hear him talk about the shots as he took and developed them.

I thought his street shots were all round better than the ones where he could take his time although some of those portraits at Glynebourne were very good.

83 and still doing his own darkroom work. Good for him but he must be a wealthy man. And I'm sure he is.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up